Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing a convertible pan with a coupe pan?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
moondoggy63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:24 am    Post subject: Replacing a convertible pan with a coupe pan? Reply with quote

I have a 1979 Super Beetle convertible and I want to take the body off and put it on a pre '76 Super Beetle coupe pan.
Is it possible to do this if I simply add the convertible reinforcement supports onto the coupe pan?

In case anyone is wondering, I want to do this so that I can register the Super Beetle on the pre '76 pan and thereby legally get around the smog requirements in CA.
Also, I have a sentimental attachment to my Super Beetle so I don't want to sell it and replace it with a pre '76 convertible.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pans are the same between sedan and vert. The support channels are built into the body.

I remember when I was a teenager, reading Hot VW's, they would get this question asked a lot, and would always say you'd have to weld the support channels to the sedan pan, then one day, someone there actually worked on a car, and realized they had been wrong for all those years. Oops.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
moondoggy63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Unpopular wrote:
Pans are the same between sedan and vert. The support channels are built into the body.

I remember when I was a teenager, reading Hot VW's, they would get this question asked a lot, and would always say you'd have to weld the support channels to the sedan pan, then one day, someone there actually worked on a car, and realized they had been wrong for all those years. Oops.

So then it's just a straight swap from one pan to the other?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

correct
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
moondoggy63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Unpopular wrote:
correct

Thanks!
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you do have to remove the jack points on the pan as the jack points on the convertible are in the support rails. Other than that it should be a bolt on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought convertibles had more bolts under the rear seat? Shocked
moondoggy63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cobb wrote:
I think you do have to remove the jack points on the pan as the jack points on the convertible are in the support rails. Other than that it should be a bolt on.

Yeah, I'm sure cutting the jack points won't be an issue.
I'm sorry if this is repetitious, but I just want to be clear, So I would:
1)Remove my convertible body from it's pan.
2)Remove the super beetle coupe body from it's pan.
3)Cut the jack points from the coupe pan.
4)Bolt the super beetle convertible body onto the coupe pan.
The reinforcements would be on the existing convertible body so no need to reinforce the pan. Correct?
I know that was on oversimplified four step process but that's all that I need clarification on.
I'm aware of the reinforcements that are necessary to add to the convertible body when I remove it from it's pan to avoid/minimize warping, etc.
Thanks again for the info. It's a huge help/reassurance.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: