Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Remove Orange peel old paint
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
schulnaj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Remove Orange peel old paint Reply with quote

So I purchased a car that was painted about a year and a half ago. Originally I didn't think it was so bad but now the orange peel in the paint is driving me crazy. All the guy told me was he used a urethane base coat clear coat system. I don't know brand or anything. I am thinking about cutting and buffing it. My concern is I don't know how much clear is on the car. If I blow through the clear somewhere in the cutting process, what brand of clear would you recommend?

I even thought about color sanding the car with 1000 grit and then putting a few new coats of clear on it just so I know I have a good base to buff. Am I O.K. to just spray any urethane clear coat over it?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
CanadianBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're unsure and you really want to get rid of the peel, I'd go the "sand and re-clear" route.

If you decide to just risk a cut and buff and burn through the clear somewhere, you'll be into a base-blend and clear re-do on that panel.

Mike

bodywork isn't a fucking race.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. And just to expand a little. If you burn through the clear you really can't just reshoot clear and hope that spot goes away. It will look different.

You could always give it a good scuffing with some 400 wet and then shoot some additional clear.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: