Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Window trim installation tutorial -Export/Deluxe Window Trim
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwsonmybrain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject: Window trim installation tutorial -Export/Deluxe Window Trim Reply with quote

Over the years I've seen several questions on how to install the window trim on export/deluxe window rubber. It can be a real bitch. The first time I did it, it was on a '66 front windshield. I cursed my way through it and after an hour or more, the trim was installed, my thumbs were raw and sore, I had built some more character and I vowed to never do it like that again.

I don't remember if I saw a post somewhere on here or figured it out on my own, but I found a much, much easier way than just trying to cram the trim in on it's own. It turned a real pain in the ass job into a 10-20 minute 'no big deal' job.

The window rubber on my oval is shot so, among other things, I've been replacing it. Tonight I was putting new rubber on the rear quarter windows and decided to document the process. I hope it helps someone out there.

Things you need:

First off, don't cheap out on the window rubber. I've been using West Coast Metric rubber for many years and have been happy with the quality, fit and finish. The batch of rubber I recently bought for my oval is the first I've bought since around 2007 and this might be the first time I've been a little disappointed in the windshield rubber from them. I still like how pliable and easy it is to work with, but the seal around the outside body, along the bottom corners doesn't quite live up to my past expectations. I've never tried Wolfsburg West rubber, but have heard good things about it. There's also the uber expensive German rubber, but I can't remember the make right now. WCM and WW are good bets, though. Cheaper rubber will ruin your day. It's a real chore just to get it on the glass and it will not have a good fit on the car, nor will it hold up to the weather and sun.

A few tools that are a must or that will make your trim and window installation much easier:

Window install tool:
https://www.westcoastmetric.com/product/N-001/tool_window_brinstallation_6m_cord?from_search=1
You can make your own or probably find it for cheaper elsewhere, but this tool is a must for both the trim and final window installation.

Plastic Pry Tool
https://www.westcoastmetric.com/product/N-009/tool_plastic_pry_or_removal?from_search=1
This thing is worth more than it's weight in gold. I use it for so many things while working on my cars, but it's a definite plus for working with soft items like window rubber and trim. You can use other, similar tools, but for trim, it's best not to use something hard like a screwdriver, as you're liable to scratch the trim or mess up the rubber.

Some kind of lubricant
I use silicone lube…mainly because that's what I have on hand at the moment. The nice thing about this particular brand is that it dries pretty quickly so it doesn't leave a nasty mess and it's quick and easy to apply. I often also use the silicone gel lube in a tube.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The beer is optional and not necessary, but it sure tastes good.

(Do note that the trim must be installed prior to installing the windows in the car.)

So, after you have the window rubber installed on the glass, apply some lubricant into the trim channel. Lube all the way around.

You don't need a ton. Just enough to wet the groove well.

Now grab the string tool and start running the string down into the trim channel. Start from the flat edge of the window, where the trim begins and ends and work your way around. Start and finish so that there is an overlap of the string.

The nice thing about this tool is that it's sturdy so you can really apply some pressure into the groove if needed.

So now you have the string installed all the way around, inside the trim groove with an overlap.

Set the trim in place. I'm reusing the original trim, but a good quality reproduction works just as well. Make sure you have the trim securing clip in place on either end of the window trim.

Now, from either end of the trim (whichever is more comfortable to you), start pressing in the trim while pulling the string towards the inside of the glass.

Work your way around slowly, while pressing the trim down into the groove behind the string.

If the trim isn't quite seating well enough, use the plastic tool to slip down into the groove and work the rubber over the trim as you press down.

Keep working your way around.

You may need to periodically pause and press the trim down into the groove back along the way you came, just to make sure it's seating all the way into the groove. Be careful not to press too hard as it bends easily

Almost there.

As you get near the end, make sure the beginning of the trim section is still seated well.

You may, in fact not need any of the overlapped string once you do this a few times, but it's nice to have if the beginning section wants to work it's way out.

Work your way back around with your thumbs, pressing the trim down to make sure it's seated.

Now grab your plastic tool or a wood dowel and slide or tap the securing clip over the beginning of the trim.

And your done! Time to celebrate how freaking easy this was compared to the last time you did it!

I had also installed the trim on the passenger rear quarter tonight and timed that one. Without rushing, it took me 5 minutes to install the trim, including the time it took to lube the trim groove and run the string around it.

It's the same process on windshields and rear glass, you just have two separate trim pieces on those.

Last edited by vwsonmybrain on Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:47 pm; edited 4 times in total
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXCELLENT!!!! Thank you!!!
This needs to be a sticky!
quik56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWESOME!!!
davetaylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This how-to will be the death of cal-look windows, haha
1980 Porsche 911 SC Targa (sold)
Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home brew? And nice job on the lesson and pics. Bookmarking this one.
1971 Baywindow Bus

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwsonmybrain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gwdghiaguy wrote:
Home brew?

No, just a tasty porter from a local microbrew. Drool

Thanks all! Hope it helps.
silvertonguedevil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! One of those "why didn't I think of that?" how-to's! I love it!!
vwsonmybrain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to add an addendum to this installation thread, as I just had the considerable displeasure of installing windshield trim using Vewib rubber.

I used the same basic technique, but had to modify it a bit and the whole install was much more difficult than when installing trim in West Coast Metric rubber.

Instead of pulling the string towards the inside of the glass as I show above, I had to pull the string towards the outside, away from the glass. The trim was much more difficult to seat into the rubber and didn't want to stay seated as well. I had to repeatedly go back to previous sections and the bottom corners were a real pain.

For whatever reason, the Vewib rubber didn't want to grab and hold the trim the same as with the WCM rubber, so I'd recommend using much less lubricant than you normally would, or let it dry once you have the string down in the trim channel.

And as a side note, I was using the same original trim that I had previously used on the same windshield, using WCM rubber. For the first time, I was displeased with how the WCM rubber fit around the bottom, outside corners, so I decided to give the Vewib rubber a try. Installing the trim on the WCM rubber was 10x easier or more.

Last edited by vwsonmybrain on Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time/effort to post this thread, its appreciated. Just one thing, its not US spec trim, its export/deluxe trim, used all over the globe on every beetle apart from standards and early splits, cheers...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwsonmybrain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

otahuhu wrote:
Thanks for taking the time/effort to post this thread, its appreciated. Just one thing, its not US spec trim, its export/deluxe trim, used all over the globe on every beetle apart from standards and early splits, cheers...

Thanks for the correction. I think I'm just used to seeing it listed that way in parts catalogs, etc. I updated the thread title.
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwsonmybrain wrote:
otahuhu wrote:

Thanks for the correction. I think I'm just used to seeing it listed that way in parts catalogs, etc. I updated the thread title.

No problem, just didn't want people to think it wasn't relevant because they aren't in the US. Any chance you have you tried the Wwest rubber as well?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwsonmybrain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

otahuhu wrote:

No problem, just didn't want people to think it wasn't relevant because they aren't in the US. Any chance you have you tried the Wwest rubber as well?

I haven't and from what I've read about it, I won't be any time soon. I buy a lot of parts from WW...they really stepped up their game over the past several years...but it sounds like there may be some issues with their rubber.

I really hope the issue I had with the WCM rubber this time is a fluke or related to my particular windshield glass or something, as I really have alway been very pleased with their rubber. The Vewib rubber seems good, overall, but, I posted in another thread today ( http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7584432#7584432 ) the overall issues I had with it.

Personally, the molded corners are a negative to me, because if you line the corners up correctly, the spliced seam doesn't center with the trim. Minor issue, but something I'm a little anal about. I've never had an issue with the WCM rubber not having molded corners. But I digress....
Hacksaw-BoB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi vwsonmybrain . . .

Great information about installing the window !!!!

Not sure about your statement ... "The beer is optional and not necessary, but it sure tastes good."

Here is a recent project I worked on and the champagne with raspberries was a must !!!

http://www.vintagevolkswagenmodels.com/vintage-res...wagenwerks

http://www.VintageVolkswagenModels.com

Collector of Vintage VW Toys

BoB's Restor-Version Shop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwsonmybrain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hacksaw-BoB wrote:
Hi vwsonmybrain . . .

Here is a recent project I worked on and the champagne with raspberries was a must !!!

Hah! That's awesome...cheers! Very Happy
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Window trim installation tutorial -Export/Deluxe Window Trim Reply with quote

Great post!

However, not sure if I saw anything about installing assembly on glass.

Reason why I ask is I'll be doing this next week or so and am concerned about how not to tweak/destroy trim...

Best,

Thom
1 1958 pantina red Lowlight Ghia (the "Chili Pepper")

Still looking for:
(1) My Dad's 1955 356 (he raced it amateur-class at Riverside and other courses during 1950s),
(2) My parent's black 1955 hardtop bug (CA license plate FWC 201 or FWG 201), and
(3) My parent's agave green 1957 ragtop bug (CA license plate LFK 734).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
william metcalf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Window trim installation tutorial -Export/Deluxe Window Trim Reply with quote

Thank you so much for this window trim tutorial. Truly Excellent! I'm installing an og oval window glass with the trim, into an oval clip section that I found in a junk pile at the end of the day at Bugorama in the 90s, to hang on the back of my garage, and I did not really know where to begin with getting the trim into place. My optional beverage during the process is a Salty Dog made with white grapefruit and Stoli Vodka.

Huge Thanks, Will
1964 Light Grey Riviera Camper. Traded a Bus transaxle for it in 1992.
1955 Logoed Single Cab. Bought in 2000.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Window trim installation tutorial -Export/Deluxe Window Trim Reply with quote

Great tutorial! Thanks for taking the time.
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Window trim installation tutorial -Export/Deluxe Window Trim Reply with quote

Yeah, thanks for the hot tip, Jason. I did the rear window on my '65 a while back, and it was the usual battle that you see and read about here in the forums. After all the searching I had done, your thread and tips didn't come to me. As you can see below, my rear window turned out quite satisfactorily, but man it took my thumbs about two weeks to recover from stuffing that monster into the groove!

I will definitely try your system on the quarters and front, but two things you mentioned are a certainty, as I too encountered the "ifs" you mentioned below, and immediate remedial action is definitely needed here as we move around the perimeter installing the trim:

vwsonmybrain wrote:
If the trim isn't quite seating well enough, use the plastic tool to slip down into the groove and work the rubber over the trim as you press down. (Because the trim is stiff and the rope will be somewhat "in the way" while inserting the trim.)

And:

You may need to periodically pause and press the trim down into the groove back along the way you came, just to make sure it's seating all the way into the groove. Be careful not to press too hard as it bends easily.

vwsonmybrain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Window trim installation tutorial -Export/Deluxe Window Trim Reply with quote

Your welcome, guys!

I did just see in Pilch's '61 thread that the rope install tool doesn't seem to be available at West Coast Metric anymore, but he found it here, along with a selection of plastic install tools:

https://www.amazon.com/Molding-Installation-Automo...&psc=1
VWNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:26 pm    Post subject: Window trim installation tutorial -Export/Deluxe Window Trim Reply with quote

August 2023

This is a very nice and helpful tutorial .

Beware of WCM ! the son is running it now and has replaced all the good rubber bits with cheap Chiniseium crap that begins cracking in less that two years .

They also sell different items than what they show in the catalog .

When I talked to the current owner he flat didn't give a care .

One last Beetle : 1959 #113 DeLuxe survivor ~ 36HP & full synchro tranny, 6 volts etc.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: