Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Got my Bentley manual, WOO HOO, couple of questions
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakedawgs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Got my Bentley manual, WOO HOO, couple of questions Reply with quote

Got my Bentley manual today, all 1100+ pages in one volume.
While I knew it was THE manual to have, I am amazed after flipping through it for an hour or so. What an amazing resource.

I really wish it had a basic index in the back. First thing I have come across is that I cannot find info about replacing the ignition switch. I know I will find it soon enough.

Also, do any of you do anything special with the handling of this book? I have thought about drilling holes for a binder to hold the book. Just wondering about ways to take care of this book that I paid $90 for new (yeah, I found a deal) and I know I am going to be hard on it over the years. I know $90 is a pittance in the grand scheme of restoring my Squareback but would like to do what I can.

Also, any of you thinking......do I need this......YES, you need this book more than you know, whatever your level of auto experience.

Thanks
lakedawgs
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big blue Bentley can be a little hard to use. I went looking through mine, and then through my originals and the closest thing I could find was the section on the steering lock. I didn't even see an Electrical section in my original 1500 manuals. User ataraxia could probably guide you through any ignition switch questions.

The steering lock section I'm talking about is under E-10 - 22.

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest that you make photocopies of the sections you're planning to use so that you don't trash the book.

I actually use my blue Bentley because I have an original set of workshop manuals that are more for reference. I make copies of the pages I will use if they're in color (from the original manuals) but I realize that most people don't have a scanner/copier at home.

Replacing the ignition is a good time. There is a thread on the forum about replacing the ignition switch. There are two ways to do it and the 'best' way is the one you're most comfortable doing. One way is shown in the Bentley-the other way is from personal experience. The chosen method is also determined by any other issues you encounter in the column.

What's wrong with your ignition switch? Do you have one to replace the existing switch?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lakedawgs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ignition switch accepts the key and turns but what I have to do to start the car is insert the key, turn it and push a button the previous owner installed on the dash.

Also, on the other side of the steering column, opposite the ignition switch, the cover/cap, has been removed and there are a couple of wires hanging out and taped up.

This is not am immediate problem but will have to be addressed over the course of the car's restoration. I will find the info in Bentley and look for the thread you mentioned.
THANKS
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lakedawgs wrote:
The ignition switch accepts the key and turns but what I have to do to start the car is insert the key, turn it and push a button the previous owner installed on the dash.

Also, on the other side of the steering column, opposite the ignition switch, the cover/cap, has been removed and there are a couple of wires hanging out and taped up.

This is not am immediate problem but will have to be addressed over the course of the car's restoration. I will find the info in Bentley and look for the thread you mentioned.
THANKS

Been there, done that. Confused
That plastic cap used to cover a bakalite (sp?) disk that those now taped wires went to. Without the cap, inserting the key can push the other side out of the housing. Cap gets lost, little pc gets broken/lost. So you install push-button, (almost) just like the new cars with push-button start! After months of trying to repair mine, I just replaced with a 68 T1 column. Not original, but Works fine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lakedawgs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really mind the push button start at this point, as it is there and done. I just need to get the cheesy wiring cleaned up......all over the vehicle.

Just one of the many projects on a newly acquired, 50 year old, VW.
Right now if I get bored working on one thing, there are tons of other things to move on to.
Thanks
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing I do with a new shop manual is kick it aroun the dirty shop floor for a bit.
Also helps to make sure your hands are extra greasy when you handle it.

Don't want to go lookin like a newb....

Plus, if it gets oil-soaked, it will help preserve it, make it more water resistant.

What’s That Noise?!?
lakedawgs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is funny. One side of me agrees and says, just use the damn thing like any other manual, but the other side say, hold on dude, you paid a $100 for that thing. I have a feeling the first guy will win.
Suesanctuary
Samba Member

Location: Wishing we were still chest deep in Vw Parts at the Wolfe Estate.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lakedawgs wrote:
That is funny. One side of me agrees and says, just use the damn thing like any other manual, but the other side say, hold on dude, you paid a $100 for that thing. I have a feeling the first guy will win.

Bob keeps his on the book shelf, but I know he does use it every now and then (after he washes his hands). He's also got the brown Bentley (with color wiring diagrams), that I see him use more often. It's even got grease on some of the pages. Wink
He tells me that they're tools, and should be treated as such. Very Happy

Did you know:
New York was the first state to require license plates, back in 1901. In those days, you had to make your own. Sears even sold Kits! Massachusetts was the first state to issue them in 1903.
Source: Automobile Magazine, Nov. 2006
sctbrd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a used Haynes manual for more routine stuff and the Bentley when I need detailed info or procedures.
MacLeod Willy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First time you use the book it will pay for itself, so in reality it didn't cost you a penny Wink

Use it but care for it. Back when we only had manuals to work from, they were brought out on the floor, in the cars, under the hoods, everywhere they were needed and they lasted years. They were usually Mitchell manuals for around $400 bucks per year but paid for themselves for 25 years
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: