Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

After market Ignition and Turn Indicator arm...Help
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbug74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject: After market Ignition and Turn Indicator arm...Help Reply with quote

I am having to replace the ignition switch on my 69 squareback and because the turn indicator arm was iffy as well decided to replace it as well. My question is, the ignition switch has an additional wire not found on the original. I identified the Red, Red with black stripe and Black wire which by the way is the fried culprit. Th new switch has all 3 plus an additional Gray wire and a letter "P" stamped where it enters the back of the switch. What should I do with the Gray wire ? Now on to the Turn signal arm.... All the wires are doubled, by that I mean it looks like there are two wires coming from the same place where one wire comes from on the original one. I can identify the Brown grounds on the original as well as the Black and Green stripe and the Black and White stripe. But right next to these two is a Green wire and a Blue wire respectively. Any ideas...? Thanks for any help.

74 Standard Type 1
69 Squareback Type 3
55 Oval Type 1
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the wiring diagrams, not just for your year. Sounds like either you have a different year parts, or someone swapped them on the car earlier.
redbug74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im pretty sure the Turn signal arm is not original because all the wire have been spliced , any ideas on the ignition ? I believe it is the original ignition because the key fits the doors.

74 Standard Type 1
69 Squareback Type 3
55 Oval Type 1
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redbug74 wrote:
Im pretty sure the Turn signal arm is not original because all the wire have been spliced , any ideas on the ignition ? I believe it is the original ignition because the key fits the doors.

At least on later models, the mechanical (key) part and electrical part are separate, so a replacement electrical part may have been installed while maintaining the original key.

Aftermarket manufacturers' product lines are sometimes "simplified" for inventory by combining multiple years, for example a wire added for some year may be put on more years without harm-- you just clip it off. Maybe that is the case with yours.

I would try out the switch before installing it by connecting like wires and leaving disconnected any extras. If it works, then see if it fits mechanically.
68vwfasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently replaced all the wiring in my 1968. I found I had to use two different wiring diagrams on the Samba to figure it all out.

By studying the wiring diagrams found here under Technical (use the 1st 1967 one and the 1968-70 one) I can see that the gray wire with the P you speak of goes to the fuse box and powers accessories (open spot to add radio, ect...).

The turn signal doubling of the wires confused me too. But it really depends on the emergency flasher and relays you have. Study the two diagrams and figure out what you have under the dash. In the end the flow of current will guide you if you have any understanding of electrical diagrams.

Not sure about the green and blue wire. Do you mean green/blue? My recollection is I had one wire that did not match the colors according to the diagrams. But by process of elimination I figured out which on it was.

Study the diagrams and good luck.
redbug74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, I will follow the advice given and report back with results later. I Love Samba ! Very Happy Thanks again.

74 Standard Type 1
69 Squareback Type 3
55 Oval Type 1
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: