Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wood fired hot tub
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject: Wood fired hot tub Reply with quote

Anyone ever build they're own? Im looking at ideas online and thought it would be a great sustainable project. Was thinking how i could incorporate the fire chamber to also run an outdoor wood fired oven for pizzas or smoker etc... Nothing like dip'n with a slice Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty easy to make..... Laughing and then just throw the pizza on the grille.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Lots can be created with old free standing wood stoves, good plumbing pipe, an old water heater tank... and a pump.. oh and a pressure relief valve. Wink

Should be fairly simple enough to build a combined heat exchanger and oven out of an old wood stove... then incorporate the hot water into the tub pump...

I like hot tubs... but I'm not paying the electric bill to keep that sucker hot outside...
And gas.. is impractical where I live so wood is a good option.. and have pondered this idea as well.

We built an out door wood oven mainly for pizzas a few years ago .. .. We learned real quick... its a freaking ton of work to have homeade wood fired Pizza parties...
We just use it to smoke down and long cook now. Plus for relaxing ambiance when applicable.. .. and make a FEW pizzas every so often for ourselves.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Wood fired hot tub Reply with quote

candyman wrote:
Anyone ever build they're own? Im looking at ideas online and thought it would be a great sustainable project. Was thinking how i could incorporate the fire chamber to also run an outdoor wood fired oven for pizzas or smoker etc... Nothing like dip'n with a slice Wink

I saw this one this morning in the Sky-mall magazine on Southwest Airlines. It kind of reminds me of a giant cheap plastic salsa bowl at my favorite local Mexican food joint....but that stainless convection coil could work on anything. Ray
http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/96030/improving-our-homemade-hot-tub-design
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
reminds me of a giant cheap plastic salsa bowl at my favorite local Mexican food joint...

Hahhaa... Laughing

Chicks and salsa (dip) anyone.. ^ Laughing

Yep.. a coil or pipe , placed inside an old (modified) hot water tank or masonry oven/fireplace/wood stove , could double duty as a boiler and oven..

My thought... find an old wood stove, build it into into a masonry structure for aesthetics and protection, build pipe around the outside of the firebox and plumb it up....well out.. (Making the pipe serviceable).

Id want it further away from the tub though... so maybe add a pump.
Id have electric there anyway..... I mean...got to have the bubbles......

WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

We built an out door wood oven mainly for pizzas a few years ago .. .. We learned real quick... its a freaking ton of work to have homeade wood fired Pizza parties...
We just use it to smoke down and long cook now. Plus for relaxing ambiance when applicable.. .. and make a FEW pizzas every so often for ourselves.

I have a friend in the outdoors landscaping business that does some really remarkable work for people with BIG wallets. They ALL want an outdoor wood fired Pizza oven and that has become one of his most popular offerings.

I asked him a few months ago how many people actually use them on a regular basis and he told me that most people only ever use it twice. And the second time is only to make sure that they weren't doing anything wrong the first time. After that they discover it's too much work, takes too much time, and just isn't as convenient as calling Dominos for delivery.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are on our 2nd one in 20 years !! Snorkel stove co., about $2000 delivered, we put it together.
10 feet from the house:

Plus, since we cut & split our own wood, all the Bark & scrap can be burned too...

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drscope wrote:
After that they discover it's too much work, takes too much time, and just isn't as convenient as calling Dominos for delivery.

Sounds about right.... ^....
Cook and prepare your ass off.. and dont get to relax with your friends.
Except no Dominos crap... for me .. Confused

Being born in Jersey.. I know what good pizza is..
So found a couple of places locally with the good stuff.... and have to go get it...

We..... Think ... well.. I use our outdoor oven quite a bit for cooking other things besides pizza.
Its an oven/smoker/grille... Wink

Usually and often edited
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drscope wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

I have a friend in the outdoors landscaping business that does some really remarkable work for people with BIG wallets. They ALL want an outdoor wood fired Pizza oven and that has become one of his most popular offerings.

I asked him a few months ago how many people actually use them on a regular basis and he told me that most people only ever use it twice. And the second time is only to make sure that they weren't doing anything wrong the first time. After that they discover it's too much work, takes too much time, and just isn't as convenient as calling Dominos for delivery.

I totally hear this. However, i am a professional chef so the "hard work" is what i do. We entertain all the time and truthfully i enjoy prepping and cooking while entertaining. Friends join in and hooch still flows freely.

Cruchef, how long does your tub take to get up to temp? Also, what do you do about the water when not in use in the wintertime? I am concerned about it freezing and destroying something. I would hate to have to drain and refill everytime as that would use a ton of water.

Thanks all who have responded so far. Im still researching DIY plans for this
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes about 3-4-5 hours to heat up at this time of the year, in the summer 1-2 hours, we run it all year, most weekends, it will freeze, but never had damage from freezing, we have left it frozen 2 weeks, then it takes about 8 hours Shocked to get it to 108 degrees or so after 2 weeks at cold VT. temps, just like cooking Chef, it all depends on the temps.
We use pool shock to clean, and change out the water (475 Gallons) ever 3-4 months, very low maintanace.

It helps to have a good wood supply.....

My Pops:
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'86 Doublecab W/T
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few friends around here with snorkel stoves. They work great, just take time to get them up to temp.

I have a friend up here who is off the grid completely, and has been since 1980. He heats with wood, and has plumbing running through his wood stove that dumps into the top of his hot tub (a giant stainless steel tank he found for $25). It drains out the bottom and back through the wall into his wood stove. It all works on convection, no pumps, and it works very well. If his wife is home all day for a couple of days stoking the fire, it gets so hot they need to shovel snow into the tank to cool it down before taking a dip. With the open loop system, there is no need for an expansion tank or blow off valve, as there is no way for steam pressure to build up. It is really ingenious.
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you're in the middle of nowhere -- you're in the middle of nowhere

I should know better than to upload a picture the Samba gallery -- another photo deleted to ..... (fill in blank here)

crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rabbit really helps w/ the Winter wood hauling !! I have 10 of those trash cans I fill w/ bark to burn in the stove, easy to lift into the trucks low bed, some years I'll burn 20+ barrels of the bark = free heat...
This is how you get thru 6 months of cold/snow.... Laughing

My Pops:

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'86 Doublecab W/T
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: