Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Remove door glass
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ckissick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Remove door glass Reply with quote

I am replacing the window scrapers on my '50. But the window is in the way. How do I remove the windows, or at least make them go lower so they are no longer in the way?
1989 syncro Tristar
1966 Porsche 912
1989 Beck Spyder
2007 GTI Fahrenheit
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The door glass is mounted in a metal channel. That channel is attached to the window lifter (regulator).

With the door panel removed, you can try to wind the window all the way down and remove the screws holding regulator to the door and drop the whole works down inside the door. You may need to wind the regulator up or down once the screws are out yo be able to drop the whole thing down in the door. If that does not get you enough space remove the metal glass channel from the regulator.

Be careful that the door panel clips don't scratch your paint when you remove the trim panel. I put a layer to two of 3" masking tape around the perimeter of the panel before removing or replacing.

Good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ckissick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I unbolted everything, but the window assembly is still immovable. I might just have to work it. I don't want to go too far into disassembly if I don't have to. The metal glass holder is riveted to the regulator, so I can't remove it.

I notice that there are two wheels that slide left-right inside the metal horizontal window holder at the bottom of the glass, when the window goes up and down. If I can slide the wheels far enough to the left, they will pop out from the part of the channel that is wider, then the window can drop down far enough. But I can't slide the wheels that far. There must be an easy trick to it. I can solve a Rubik's cube, but this has me stumped.
1989 syncro Tristar
1966 Porsche 912
1989 Beck Spyder
2007 GTI Fahrenheit
ckissick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind. I forced it and was able to lower the window just a little bit.
1989 syncro Tristar
1966 Porsche 912
1989 Beck Spyder
2007 GTI Fahrenheit
ckissick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

I did the driver side, and finally got to the passenger side. But I have a new problem. The bolt inside the channel that acts as a fulcrum on the crank assembly is missing. That's why the window never went down properly. I have to slip in a new bolt. But to do so, I have to detach the glass from the crank assembly.

It seems I have to remove the metal/felt channels in order to slide the glass far enough forward to get the aft wheel to the wider part of the channel, so I can pull it out, and slip the bolt in. What's the procedure for removing the channels?
1989 syncro Tristar
1966 Porsche 912
1989 Beck Spyder
2007 GTI Fahrenheit
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: