Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Innovative VW 4x4 Bug build, without syncro parts!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those videos are great. I would really like to see some more 4x4 builds where people are tapping the nose cone like the original Kubel designs.

Side note, anyone think it could be done in a 091?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the '80s, there was a Brazilian firm that was building 4x4 VW vans for, among other customers, the Brazilian military.

The trailing arms shown in one of the pics ("post 55") are Type 2 IRS Bus. One of the early pics shows a rolling 4x4 chassis...with swingaxle rear. And that Bug with the body on it is DEFINITELY NOT a Super Beetle. Although a Super Beetle could be used just as readily as a regular Bug. Just enough of the original chassis is removed that whether the Bug starts as a regular or Super doesn't matter.

I would like to see the inner pivot of the lower front a-arms moved inward to even with the inner CVs. And upper a-arms fabricated with uniballs on the top of the spindle where the strut starts and inner pivots near the top of the front diff.

I have to agree that rack and pinion steering setup looks pretty sketchy even if it is stock Vanagon Syncro.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea I'm really curious about that too.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Timothy_N-F
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hotrodsurplus wrote:
So what makes you experts think that's a Super?

And since when is it a bad idea for backyard engineers to express a whole lot of ingenuity on such a common car? Before you answer that, remember what forum you're on. Seriously, the second most abundant thing in Brazil beyond big round asses are VW Beetles.

Look at that front gear carrier. I've never seen anyone here even ATTEMPT that. And they have few tools. For those of you clowning this thing, show some respect. It's impressive on several levels.

Well it isn't really a super, at least it didn't leave the factory as one, look at that rather narrow boot lid. That said, in a sense they have turned it into a super, since it now has front struts. This thing is really cool, would be even better if it were a true super, but you can't have everything.
Gubdonem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Innovative VW 4x4 Bug build, without syncro parts! Reply with quote

The front A arms are from a vw gol, also the disk brakes front and back and the front struts.

The A arms were widened a bit more so they can fit inside the body. Thats what I´ve been understanding lol
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Innovative VW 4x4 Bug build, without syncro parts! Reply with quote

pretty damn slick.. like someone said.. its a hack but close to what WWII 4X4 vws did..

and its simple..
wbbbbbbb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Innovative VW 4x4 Bug build, without syncro parts! Reply with quote

Look up Wbleys4x4
Pictures from their Facebook page.
New and improved?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
frankydee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Innovative VW 4x4 Bug build, without syncro parts! Reply with quote

TRANSLATION:
front-wheel drive coupling.
After many days hitting his head on how to engage the front traction. without magical inventions we arrived (I believe) in a practical and inexpensive solution, after all the $ are few.
We cut an opal cardan shaft and leave it 30 cm long by placing an inner bearing so that one end can rotate and the other is stationary, a splined gear was welded on the side with the crosshead and the end of the cardan is on the side a gear that was turned leaving only the part of the splines and placed a sleeve to make the coupling of the two parts with a fork that will push the sleeve to activate and release the traction, inside the tunnel will be welded two supports for the fork axis work and as everything will be inside the tunnel that will be closed, we will make a small box of fiber to leave bathed in oil.
Please if anyone has any ideas or tips that can improve the coupling transfer.

Last edited by frankydee on Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Innovative VW 4x4 Bug build, without syncro parts! Reply with quote

I don't know what currency they are using in their replies, but from what I put in google currency translator, it looks like the set in the bottom picture above is $1200. If you knew what you wanted to do with it, that seems like a fair price to get a project 4x4 going. Please correct me if I'm wrong on the price.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
frankydee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Innovative VW 4x4 Bug build, without syncro parts! Reply with quote

TRANSLATION:
I'm also looking to start making my 4x4 4x4. I already have some solutions: I modified the front axle ends to use the beetle's front suspension frame, I used the goal axle ends, with space to enter the CVs. I am going to use the inverted kombi box at the front (which I already have), the job of mending the pilot axis of the two boxes is already defined and it is simple. I already defined the rear suspension with opening in the rear spring to pass the cardan, and spiral springs to suspend the assembly.
as for traction disengagement, i made a decision: i will use all-wheel drive all the time, without coupling and disengagement parts, which can end up causing breakages or end up being a set fuse. As the box will have a front differential, it won't cause any problems to always use the 4x4 all the time. In fact, the only advantage of disengaging traction is that the system does not rotate and wear out when it is not needed, which taking into account the number of kilometers I walk down the road is negligible.
another thing, a friend told me that it’s good to disengage the traction to be able to make zeros in the clay. well who wants to be doing this to get a vehicle for this, I want to do trails and not show off to others
frankydee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Innovative VW 4x4 Bug build, without syncro parts! Reply with quote

Very cool article, thanks for posting,,,,

Now can someone answer my posted question about EPS? LOL
wbbbbbbb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Innovative VW 4x4 Bug build, without syncro parts! Reply with quote

VW Transaxle 4x4 conversions
Schwimmwagen 4x4 Drawings
Note the Cross country gear, 5th gear-compound low?

https://www.4x4brasil.com.br/forum/gaiola-baja-e-buggy/77703-fusca-4x4-25.html
From pg 25, Post date 29/12/2018 16:06

[/img]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: