Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Everything about CB Performance Black Box
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Popcorn
tstevenson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to reiterate the fact that Mark and Pat were incredibly helpful and responsive when I was troubleshooting. My motor/ignition combo simply did not play nice with the Black Box and its current firmware. I fell into one of the extremely rare use cases that had troubles.

To answer a question that was asked earlier; I have had ZERO issues after switching to the Magnaspark Digital distributor. I had it installed, wired, and software loaded in 30 mins flat. The motor started right up and the distributor has been working flawlessly ever since. No starting hesitations, no starter kickback, rock solid timing at all RPMs and MAPs. A truly amazing and innovative product.

Thank you again CB.
j-dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tstevenson wrote:
I want to reiterate the fact that Mark and Pat were incredibly helpful and responsive when I was troubleshooting. My motor/ignition combo simply did not play nice with the Black Box and its current firmware. I fell into one of the extremely rare use cases that had troubles.

To answer a question that was asked earlier; I have had ZERO issues after switching to the Magnaspark Digital distributor. I had it installed, wired, and software loaded in 30 mins flat. The motor started right up and the distributor has been working flawlessly ever since. No starting hesitations, no starter kickback, rock solid timing at all RPMs and MAPs. A truly amazing and innovative product.

Thank you again CB.

I also agree that Mark and Pat have been nice and respectful to me through this process and I am not trying to bad mouth them. The fact that you are not having any issues points to something unique about my car, set up or my distributor itself has a problem however I have not been able to figure that out. For the last year I have gone back to a standard distributor.

I thought this latest update with a software fix for the black box would translate to the digital distributor as well since they use the same software, map, similar MAP sensor etc.
BBMV8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear work is being done on a possible software-issue that only a small number of people have.
I would like to take the opportunity to ask if the manual can be updated at the same time.
In below pic, info about the circled items is not present in the manual.
Heck, the 'cylinder selection' item didn't even show most of time in the program, and just pops on occassionally.

When I started to encounter kickbacks, I some spent time trying different numbers but to no avail.
I did by chance found something about this VR-value in some other manual for another CB-product, but not in the blackbox manual.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Pat D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in need of a volunteer to do a test on a software fix for the kick back issue. Since no cars at our facility are having the issue, I need someone who is, to try the fix on their car. Please email me at CB and I will email you the file. It seems that the worst case scenario from feed back is the Pertronix distributor. I would really like someone to do a test using a pertronix distributor and or a pertronix module inside a VW distributor. But, I want to test the file in any car that is having the kick back issue. My email is: [email protected]
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat D wrote:
I am in need of a volunteer to do a test on a software fix for the kick back issue. Since no cars at our facility are having the issue, I need someone who is, to try the fix on their car. Please email me at CB and I will email you the file. It seems that the worst case scenario from feed back is the Pertronix distributor. I would really like someone to do a test using a pertronix distributor and or a pertronix module inside a VW distributor. But, I want to test the file in any car that is having the kick back issue. My email is: [email protected]

Are any of the cars at your facility running the Pertronix distributor or VW/Pertronix module? Procurement wouldn't be an issue given the fact that CB resales for Pertronix I'd think.

I'm in IT Networking R&D for a wireless giant here in southern Cali and it's my responsibility to bring into the equation all conditions in my own lab to reproduce, test, and resolve any issues reported by an end-user or encountered in operations. I am not confident in providing a 'fix' for something I've never seen first-hand.

Just thinking with my keyboard. No faith lost in the CB team.
Pat D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dauz wrote:
Pat D wrote:

Are any of the cars at your facility running the Pertronix distributor or VW/Pertronix module? Procurement wouldn't be an issue given the fact that CB resales for Pertronix I'd think.

I'm in IT Networking R&D for a wireless giant here in southern Cali and it's my responsibility to bring into the equation all conditions in my own lab to reproduce, test, and resolve any issues reported by an end-user or encountered in operations. I am not confident in providing a 'fix' for something I've never seen first-hand.

I have done this at CB. It is now ready to be field tested on cars with known problems.
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat D wrote:
Dauz wrote:
Pat D wrote:

I have done this at CB. It is now ready to be field tested on cars with known problems.

Ah, roger that!
Pat D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, no one who says to be having cranking issues has emailed me to test new software??????
theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat D wrote:
So far, no one who says to be having cranking issues has emailed me to test new software??????

how do you plan on releasing the fix?
Boolean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that although I have never tested the box in question, I am familiar with the kind of issues that may pop up with advanced products like this.
It is no easy task to deliver a thoroughly tested product when all possible combinations of components and workmanship is way beyond testability.
I applaud Pat's humble approach to critics on this forum, others have tons to learn from this.
I hope the problems get resolved for all.
BBMV8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat D wrote:

I would love to test out the updated software on my car.
But since the Blackbox is (still only partially) installed in my dailydriver, swapping in a locked distributor, rewiring and retiming it all takes a fair bit of time.
This is not something I like to do for just testing, and possibly leave me stranded or not able to get to work in the morning. Especially not with the current near freezing wintertemps here. Smile

Also in my case, the kickbacks only started hapening after awhile, not right from the start of the install.
Pat D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theDrew wrote:
Pat D wrote:

We can email the file and talk you through re flashing the processor.
kikkegek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat D wrote:
theDrew wrote:
Pat D wrote:

oh please do so:

jochenzADDgmail.com

would love to test the update...

BTW, found what was causing my rough idle:
- one bad rubber end-cap on the distributor
- one carb stud was loose. put it back in with #271 red loctite.

should be solid now!
Pat D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kikkegek wrote:
Pat D wrote:
theDrew wrote:
Pat D wrote:

oh please do so:

jochenzADDgmail.com

would love to test the update...

BTW, found what was causing my rough idle:
- one bad rubber end-cap on the distributor
- one carb stud was loose. put it back in with #271 red loctite.

should be solid now!
Is your email [email protected]?
kikkegek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADD is @

but I didnt want to post my complete emailadres. some forum even forbid it.

so just replace ADD by @ and you got it Very Happy
Fred Winterburn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, If this is any help at all, I've found the Pertronix unit to be very susceptible to ac ripple or voltage spikes in the 12V supply. Numerous misfires result. It doesn't result in extra sparks, but fewer sparks, ie complete misfires. Perhaps on starter with the associated voltage spikes that is part of the problem. Something to consider anyway, Fred

Pat D wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Porsche60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred Winterburn wrote:
Pat, If this is any help at all, I've found the Pertronix unit to be very susceptible to ac ripple or voltage spikes in the 12V supply. Numerous misfires result. It doesn't result in extra sparks, but fewer sparks, ie complete misfires. Perhaps on starter with the associated voltage spikes that is part of the problem. Something to consider anyway, Fred

I've heard that recent Pertronix Ignitor II is not good.
Do you think it is related to the problem?
Pertronix billet distributor has Ignitor II inside.

I had Ignitor II in a Mallory distributor and now I have Ignitor I in a 009.
I think it got better with latter setup but not sure what affected.
kikkegek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anybody tested the new software yet?

I am getting ready to upload it tomorrow. Pretty curious what to expect.
Porsche60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kikkegek wrote:
anybody tested the new software yet?

I am getting ready to upload it tomorrow. Pretty curious what to expect.

have you got the test version?
i'm curious too.

btw, my black box is running well and i feel that the engine warms up faster than last winter.

i have single carb, stock heat riser pipe, but no hot air into the air cleaner.
this makes the engine stall after morning cold start and took a bunch of minutes to warm up.

now, warming up takes only 5 minutes run.

i think this is because of better ignition timing, hotter spark and better AFR.
and those could be achieved by adding the black box.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 30

Jump to: