Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tires? Stock suspension setup.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
limerence
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

Ended up pulling the trigger on the 195/65/15's. There was a deal locally for the Goodyear Assurance TripleTreds that I couldn't pass up. Crossing my fingers and hoping they won't rub.

-John
captainphil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Would these BRM 4 lugs fit a pretty low notch... Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

notch

wheel info

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DC10%2D6629[/img][/quote][/quote]

Are these white walls the inserts, or wide white walls by manufacture?

Where does one get modern tires with this look? I see vintage tires, but I do not want 'old' tires just for the look.

CP
jlew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Would these BRM 4 lugs fit a pretty low notch... Reply with quote

captainphil wrote:

notch

wheel info

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DC10%2D6629[/img]
[/quote]

Are these white walls the inserts, or wide white walls by manufacture?

Where does one get modern tires with this look? I see vintage tires, but I do not want 'old' tires just for the look.

CP[/quote]

HEY THATs GOLDiE god damit!!

ahhh, she's still in the gayrage..... pheww!!

na, those are the real deal, bias ply wide white walls!!

and, you don't want em!! ride rough and no steal belted protection.

PLUS, they command about $150-250 EACH brand new!!.

just go with reg radials

Cool

They say the shoes make the lady.... you tell me....

TL Jer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to see things laid out to understand them so I ran with architect_7's ball and used a spreadsheet to try to see for myself just what the different widths and offsets of certain aftermarket wheels (the ones that interest me) mean in terms of fit on Type 3s. I did this late at night, so who knows what I may have screwed up. Feel free to offer any corrections. If my calculations are right, I think I understand now why these rims are less than ideal for T3s. But that's just numbers (garbage in, garbage out). What I still haven't found yet are real-world experiences with these wheels. I lust after a set of wide-5 Flat-4s adapted to my new fastie, but it looks like a problem setup, and my second-choice 4-hole gas burner knockoffs don't look a whole lot better. Anyone find out any different in real life?

Last edited by TL Jer on Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL Jer wrote:
I have to see things laid out to understand them so I used a spreadsheet to try to see for myself just what the different widths and offsets of certain aftermarket wheels (the ones that interest me) mean in terms of fit on Type 3s. I did this late at night, so who knows what I may have screwed up. Feel free to offer any corrections. If my calculations are right, I think I understand now why these rims are less than ideal for T3s. But that's just numbers (garbage in, garbage out). What I still haven't found yet are real-world experiences with these wheels. I lust after a set of wide-5 Flat-4s adapted to my new fastie, but it looks like a problem setup, and my second-choice 4-hole gas burner knockoffs don't look a whole lot better. Anyone find out any different in real life?

Without knowing what year your Fastback is, it's really hard to say what you'd need to make them fit.
For the front, that's kind of easy.
Just do a wide 5 disc conversion, and it'll narrow up the front to be able to use those rims (do a search to see what's involved in the swap).
For the rear, things get complicated.
If you've got a 66 to 68, still with a swing axle, then you can do a short axle swap, pick up some wide 5 t-3 drums, and have them machined to fit on the shorter axles (it's been covered, just do search).
But, IF you have a 69 with IRS, then you'll have to move the hub and bearing assembly inward, and use the short AT left axles, to make it all work. Note; this is a ton of work, as it requires cutting and welding of the bearing assembly on the trailing arm. Then you can just bolt on some wide 5 t-3 drums.

Please note, that most of the 4 to 5 lug adapter spacers won't clear the caliper on the front. This is why I suggested doing a conversion.

Edit; I just checked your gallery, and see you have a 66. That means you can disregard the info on the 69. The stuff for a 66 to 68 with swing axle applies to you.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
TL Jer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Bobnotch, thanks for the info. I know the info is around, but it seemed worth summing up in this thread, and I'm interested whether my numbers are legit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LuftHerz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:06 am    Post subject: "right" tires for type 3 with og Lemmerz-Sprintsta Reply with quote

Hi,

I need some (practical) expert advice on this. I'm dyin' here! I think I've gone through every possible forum around in different languages. There are millions of opinions about tire sizes out there (not all valid) ... except the one I need!

I have a 68 Notch. I've bought a set of beautiful og Sprintstars 4.5-15 for the front and 5.5-15 for the back. They are ET 26 versus the ET 46 stock. I've made no modification neither to axles nor suspension. I would like to take the front down one (to eventually 2) notch(es).

I can't figure out what the best (fitting) tire/rim combo would be for this particular set?

For the rear, it seems easier. I've calculated a 65.16cm diameter with stock wheels with my current Firestone F560 165R15 with an est. 82% ratio). To stay within safety recommendations (If I've done my research correctly - I live in a very regulated country) I should be between a 175 and 195 cm for a 5.5-15 rim. That puts me essentially between a 195-70R15 (65.4, soit +0.22cm) or 185-70R15 (64.18 - 0.98cm).

For the front, it's more complicated since I assume it has an incidence on the wear, manoeuvrability, control, and relative speed of the car. Again taking safety recs. into account I should be within a 145-155cm range for 4.5-15 rims. Within that framework I think I would go for tires as close as possible to the original diameter (?) and widest to keep best control: i.e. 155-75R15 (61.35cm diameter, -3.81cm) or eventually 145-80R15 (61.3, -3.86 cm) or an take an original 165R15?

Do these assumptions hold? If they do, does anyone know if it would fit given the ET 26" 1 notch down? two notches? What would be the best combo? Can those who have ET26, 4.5" and 5.5" sprintstars give me their setup? Thanks
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People buy the 5.5" Sprintstars because they like the looks, but ultimately come to realize they don't right fit on a lowered Type 3. I wouldn't put anything bigger than 185 on the 4.5" rims.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Typ3nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: "right" tires for type 3 with og Lemmerz-Sprintsta Reply with quote

To Answer Your Sprint Star 4 1/2J"/15" & 5 1/2J"/15 Stock Type 3 Fit Question.
The 4 1/2J" x 15" EMPI Sprint Stars on All Four Corners fits a Stock Height and "will fit lowered with using lower profile tires on front" such as, 135/15, 145/ 15, 155/60/15, 165/15, 185/70/15 these sizes are safety recommended for 4 1/2" inch Width Wheels.
The 5 1/2J" x 15" Sprint Stars Will Not Fit Unless You Make Modifications to Suspension or Rear Inside Fender Lips, Roll Lips, Etc. to Fit Larger Tires.

165/15 on All Four Corners. (slightly lowered front & rear)
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: "right" tires for type 3 with og Lemmerz-Sprin Reply with quote

Typ3nut wrote:
To Answer Your Sprint Star 4 1/2J"/15" & 5 1/2J"/15 Stock Type 3 Fit Question.
The 4 1/2J" x 15" EMPI Sprint Stars on All Four Corners fits a Stock Height and "will fit lowered with using lower profile tires on front" such as, 135/15, 145/ 15, 155/60/15, 165/15, 185/70/15 these sizes are safety recommended for 4 1/2" inch Width Wheels.
The 5 1/2J" x 15" Sprint Stars Will Not Fit Unless You Make Modifications to Suspension or Rear Inside Fender Lips, Roll Lips, Etc. to Fit Larger Tires.

165/15 on All Four Corners. (slightly lowered front & rear)

Greg, how much room do you have from the sidewall of the tire, to the fender lip in the rear? Just asking as his 68 uses "long axles", which end up similarly located to IRS.

OP, I'd look at a 165 or 175-55 tire for the front, and a 195-65 for the rear. You might have to roll the lips on the rear fenders though.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
LuftHerz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Type3Nut! That gives me a good idea for the 4.5" in the front. For the rear is it more a "lateral space" issue than a diameter issue, if my math is good, the 5.5 Sprintstars ET26" push me a whole 2cm + tire curb out from the body.

Does anyone out there have 1st hand practical experience about fitting tires to Sprintstars on a pre 69 type 3? As BobNotch pointed out the dimensions of the "Long nose" models are different.
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5,5 sprintstars are really a close call, this car seems to have them on the back though

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=CBeditsch

Swing axle should be easier to fit than IRS
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done it once and would not recommend it. I would sell the 5.5's and get another set of 4.5's. It just doesn't work.

This is after bumping the inner fender in a bit, rolling the outer fender lip, a weird combo of splines (like down 2 outer, up one inner)

They still rubbed with weight in the car, or bumps in the road

cgallman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject: 69 Squareback stock ride height Reply with quote

I am trying to figure out the stock ride height of my Squareback. I have narrowed control arms to install, but I want it stock height. How do I determine this with the car already apart?
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the bentley manual has the stock angle settings listed. just follow that on assembly

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
cgallman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bentley only shows you how to adjust the angle with a very specific bubble protractor. i am looking for an angle to set the bottom control to.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you buy a $5 Magnetic Angle Gauge from Harbor Freight like I told you to on your facebook post about setting ride height? I doubt your chopped top squareback would even look right at 'stock height' anyway.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
topherx1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:24 am    Post subject: 914 2 liter wheels what tires won't rub???? Reply with quote

I'm just wondering if I'm really screwed here I just ordered a set of 914 2 liter wheels to go on my 71 squareback. I have not ordered tires yet because I don't know what I can run without rubbing. I'm still at stock high but plan to lower soon. Any ideas? The only spec on the offset on the website was mid offset. HELP PLEASE!
Typ3nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: 914 2 liter wheels what tires won't rub???? Reply with quote

topherx1 wrote:
I'm just wondering if I'm really screwed here I just ordered a set of 914 2 liter wheels to go on my 71 squareback. I have not ordered tires yet because I don't know what I can run without rubbing. I'm still at stock high but plan to lower soon. Any ideas? The only spec on the offset on the website was mid offset. HELP PLEASE!

The Porsche 914 2 Liter (reproduction) Wheels 5.5" x 15" fit nice. I ran a set of these on my stock height '73 Squareback and there was no rubbing issues with tires.
Front Tires I ran 195/65/15 which is close to stock diameter. The Rear Tires I ran 205/70/15 which these tires were very tall and then went with 205/65/15, perfect fit. If your lowering a bit 185/65/15 front is about the Max. size then you can go smaller diameter front & rear depending on how much you lower. tirerack.com for tire sizes & specs.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, Porsche 2liters (well just about all Porsche rims) have a great offset and work really well on type 3's. You'll be fine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: