Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which piston for 1.7L
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jecstl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Which piston for 1.7L Reply with quote

rebuilding my 1.7 top end frit its installed in a bay so hp or torque are important

have two choices
1 use new flat tops domed are not available

2. put rings on my old domed pistons

ideas ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So.....this is a 1.7l from a 411, 412 or 914....right? Great combo but just remember your tuning needs to be excellent with a high compression engkne like that going into a bus.

Typically flat top 1.7 pistons for type 4 are harder to find.

The domed 1.7 pistons are available from AA. You can buy either pistons only or a piston cylinder set.

If the ones you have have 100k miles on them in a type 4 car or 914.....measure them for skirt collapse and you "could" reuse them.....but noting how busses abuse type 4 engines.....I think reusing them would be false economy. Save them for a spare set and get new ones from AA.

If this engine has already run any length of time in a bus....dont reuse the pistons. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jecstl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: pistons Reply with quote

thanks ray have ordered aa but just reverse they have flats and not domed

ordered full set of flats and rings in case I decide to stay with domed

again my question which would work better
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: pistons Reply with quote

jecstl wrote:
thanks ray have ordered aa but just reverse they have flats and not domed

ordered full set of flats and rings in case I decide to stay with domed

again my question which would work better

Are they out of stock? They had domes last year.

From their site:
Porsche 914 dome top pistons 90mm x 66mm pistons only part# VW 9000T4EP $165.95
And Porsche 914 dome top piston and liner set 90mm x 66mm part # VW 9000T4E $295.93.

Are you sure you have checked carefully or called? Ray
jecstl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:39 am    Post subject: aa Reply with quote

discontinued as a set did not try non sets

***** DISCONTINUED *****

were kinda getting off subject not worried about what to buy rather which to use
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked dang....that sucks! I was actually glad that they made them and that quality had really improved. I was planning to use some for future builds.

Use the flat tops. I am assuming you have a carbed motor? When properly assembled what you will have is exactly what came in the early 411 car with, carbs which was 7.8:1 compression and about 68hp. Dont use the stock cam. Get a web 73 or possibly even a web 86....since you dont have to stick with stock injection timing. Either will be an improvement. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: