Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Tire Sticky FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 143, 144, 145 ... 196, 197, 198  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guilty of only skimming this thread due to its length and yet I thought it would be less of an offense to park my question here than to start a new thread!
Laughing

I have to choose between the following tires today. I want to know the pros and cons based on how and where one tends to drive, as I know many of you know about these two types/brands of tires.

The tires are the BF Goodrich 195/75r14 and the Hancook 185/75r14. As again many of you know, the former are supposed to be great for off-roading (to some degree), and are more aggressive with great tread and the Hancooks - while also light truck tires - are supposed to be better for pavement and probably a quieter (and smoother?) ride. I've read people referring to the BFG tires as being good for mud, specifically. But what other scenarios? I know they're not supposed to be good for sand (those should be very smooth I think).

I won't be using it as a daily driver. Most likely for going on the highway for a couple of hours toward mountains or beaches, or for VW gatherings and festivals. My main concern with regard to "off roading" isn't necessarily mud (though I guess getting caught in a rainstorm isn't unheard of around these parts) but more just grass and bumpy areas when camping in more rugged areas e.g. not in typical campgrounds, or ending up on the occasional logging road or gravel etc. Point being, it would be nice to have some extra traction during those times, but I'll never be a serious off-roader either.

The tires are important to me so the cost is worth it - it's not about one kind being cheaper than the other. I just want what would be most useful or practical.

Thank you!
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BFG A/T LT195/75-15D, no question about it. They're quieter than they used to be and are proven all terrains.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have any intention of off-pavement use, and it sounds like you do, the BFG's will be better. I have a set on a bay bus, and they are not noisy at all (at least any more noisy than the bus in general).

Get the BFG's and don't look back. I would suggest to have the white letters mounted to the inside though. White letters look odd on a bus. (my opinion only)
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
I would suggest to have the white letters mounted to the inside though. White letters look odd on a bus. (my opinion only)

I regret my decision to have letters out

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
I would suggest to have the white letters mounted to the inside though. White letters look odd on a bus. (my opinion only)

I regret my decision to have letters out

I only regret it because the white letters are a pain to keep clean. Twisted Evil
Marya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Yeah I already thought that about the letters. I agree it doesn't look very appropriate for an old bus!

I guess the only other question I have is whether I'll be able to take turns as well and easily as with the thinner tires? It was already a challenging adjustment driving without automatic steering! Laughing What's funny is last night I couldn't sleep so was lying in bed doing a sort of walk-through in my head about what all the bus needs. I imagined lying in the back (this was my grandpa's bus - he bought it new in 1970 - so I actually did sleep there as a kid!) and slowly moved through the bus in my head, from back to front, thinking about what it needed. I fell asleep that way and I dreamed I was driving it and took a right turn but could barely turn the steering wheel cause it had these monster truck type tires on it! Laughing
Marya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump - I really want to get these tires ordered, thanks!! How will the turning radius be compared to something a bit less chunky? Noticeably more challenging or about the same?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're worried about the tires rubbing on the inner fender and limiting your turning radius, or about them being difficult to turn in parking lots when going slow or stopped?
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And...it's officially a sticky!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
And...it's officially a sticky!

It's been a sticky for a long time. That why it's called "the tire sticky".
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marya wrote:

The tires are the BF Goodrich 195/75r14 and the Hancook 185/75r14. As again many of you know, the former are supposed to be great for off-roading (to some degree), and are more aggressive with great tread and the Hancooks - while also light truck tires - are supposed to be better for pavement and probably a quieter (and smoother?) ride. I've read people referring to the BFG tires as being good for mud, specifically. But what other scenarios? I know they're not supposed to be good for sand (those should be very smooth I think).

Thank you!

Which Hankoohs are you looking at? The RA08? If so the size should be 185R/14C (stock) or 195R/14C. They don't give a sidewall height size which I beleve is 82. I run the 195 RA08s and LOVE them! Great ride on the highway, no wind wag, quite, good milage and they make it more manageable to turn. I drive a lot of highway miles getting to the dirt roads to camp. These are not mud tires but they do the job pretty well off road. I will be replacing them with the same size in the future.

I've never run the BFGs on a bus before but I'm sure they are excelent. I have had them on several 4x4 pickups and loved them. Having not used them on my current set up I would think they would bring down my highway MPGs a little.

I don't think you'll have any problems with rubbing with either tire.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Marya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Well yeah I've just gotten snippets from reading over the past couple of weeks and while I can't remember the details now (or was never given many details) I do seem to recall there being a possible issue with not being able to take a sharp enough turn with ease or something like that. May also have read about rubbing. I'm not saying the comments I read are about the BFG tires but either way I want to know if there are any issues with how well one can turn (either how easily or how tightly if that makes sense...clearly this is not my area of knowledge!!).
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 27X8.5R14's on my 70, and I get a little rubbing at full lock. Not an issue. They can be a little tougher to turn when standing still, but not so much that it is a problem. I run 40 PSI front and 44 PSI rear, which seems to be about right.

The BFG's will have slightly more rolling resistance on the highway than the RAO8, therefore you may take a hit in MPG's. In a daily driver that can be an issue. For a weekend warrior it likely doesn't matter much.

Both are excellent tires. Either will serve your purpose well. The BFG's will be better on wet grass/mud/dirt whereas the Hankook will be better at highway cruising and puttin' around town. Your call.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

The BFG's will be better on wet grass/mud/dirt whereas the Hankook will be better at highway cruising and puttin' around town. Your call.

I have found my RA08s to be exceptionally good in mud, where they were ok in snow, fairly poor in sand, and just awful on ice. That being said, that was ONE time I ventured miles in deep mud, so it could have been really sticky clay; one test does not a scientist make me. Drool If I were to spend significantly more time in harsh conditions, I would definitely go with something more suitable.

I like 40-48 psi front-rear. 95% freeway miles, though.

We shouldn't be testing our tires' turning abilities at a stop, because our early bay steering boxes do not deserve such abuse! Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

I started high and now I'm down to 35 all the way around. Nice ride, good milage and good wear patterns.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

I started high and now I'm down to 35 all the way around. Nice ride, good milage and good wear patterns.

I like the rear pressures up for emergency maneuvers and cornering; I feel like the car is really grounded through turns and has polite yet decisive weight shifts. I also think the factory was onto something with the rear-engine RWD cars all having a rear inflation bias.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! I think I'm going with the BFG's. Got home later than expected so won't be putting the order in tonight anyway. Excited to have new tires! Very Happy
d-rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Just put some Grabbers on my '78
Sears had the best price on them out of everyplace I checked. but they gave me some goofy looking chrome valve stems ..gee thanks
1967 panel/camper
1968 cig-panel *1/2
1968 passenger bus *1/2
1969 beetle
1969 dormobile
1978 sage green Westy
1990 DoKa
2002 Golf TDI
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

General AT^2?

Nice tread, report back on how they feel during rain.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
General AT^2?

Nice tread, report back on how they feel during rain.

the grip nice from the rear, but i onlyhad two at the time. i plan on buying 6, and studding 2 as my spare tires.

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 143, 144, 145 ... 196, 197, 198  Next
Jump to:
Page 144 of 198

Jump to: