Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Too little end play at flywheel
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
waxhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Too little end play at flywheel Reply with quote

I'm putting my flywheel back on after cleaning up my engine. I didn't split the case or even remove the heads - really just gave everything a good cleaning.

I noticed a normal amount of end play by pulling on the pulley wheel when the engine was in the car. I didn't have a dial indicator at the time, but I definitely felt a small amount of movement.

Now that I am putting the flywheel back on, using the same shims that were originally on it, I am only getting .001 - .002 inches of end play (I borrowed a dial indicator). The flywheel barely moves.

What might have happened? I doubt if I over-tightened the gland nut (or if that is even possible).

Before I go and order more shims (and a new main seal), is there something I might have done wrong?
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure you are getting a good reading it should be .003 to .004 . did you replace the main seal ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you have a piece of foreign material between a two of the shims. Just a hair or piece of lint would throw the end play measurement off.
waxhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

citroen wrote:
make sure you are getting a good reading it should be .003 to .004 . did you replace the main seal ?

Yes, I installed a new main seal. I know I should have waited until the end play was set before doing that. I've tried it a few different times now and I'm getting the same reading (.001 - .002).

Here's the set-up I used. I can 'flex' the flywheel to get a reading of up to .010, but when I let off the pressure it returns to between .001 and .002

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm going to remove the flywheel to check that everything looks OK and give it another try.
GodJockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you have the flywheel torqued at to test the endplay? The way you are saying you can "flex" the flywheel says to me it may not be torqued enough?
63single
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could be hitting the seal. I say try pushing the seal in a bit more to pick up more clearance.
waxhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

63single wrote:
You could be hitting the seal. I say try pushing the seal in a bit more to pick up more clearance.

I think that is what was causing the problem. I took the flywheel off and noticed that the seal was protruding a little bit, maybe by a millimeter. I tapped it in so that it was flush with the opening, put the flywheel back on and measured it again. This time I got readings between .003" - .004" (perfect!).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Onward we go! Hope to try and start this engine very soon! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: