Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine / tranny serial number help
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stock66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: Engine / tranny serial number help Reply with quote

I have a 1966 beetle that is currently undergoing a body off resto. and almost ready to re-marry up the chassis with the body, just as soon as we get the drive train back on the chassis.

I would like some help figuring out if this transmission is original to my car or if its been changed out sometime. It worked great before tearing the car apart., so I don't necessarily want to get rid of it just want confirmation it was / is original to the car.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

nose cone, was it swapped or just rubbing..part numbers look to been purposely rubbed off..

I know the engine has been swapped at some point, Pretty sure its 1600 DP but trying to still figure out its origin. I believe it was part of an engine exchange program, but not sure ..Ready GO!

bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall that Phillips head screw on my trannies that is shown near the top of the nose cone photo. the numbers 417 in the first photo appear to be obscured by corrosion, the number on the tail cone appear to be rubber out, tail cones can be broken so maybe it was exchanged. driving with a broken or loose tranny mount can break or damage a tail cone, requiring replacement. that screw however is weird. I just don't recall seeing it before, maybe I am wrong, but it don't look right to me. As far as I know VW didn't use that type of screw head on anyplace on the cars of this era.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Stock66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluebus - good eye, I placed the screw there while cleaning the tranny so nothing would get in the breather hole...Keen Eye
Stock66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump....
Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant help with the gearbox.

The engine number is intriguing.

If that's a B series engine, there are no B2s, only B0 , B5 (buses 67-69) and B6 (US bugs 1970).

They were all 1600sp engines.

If it's an AB (there is SOMETHING to the left of the B), it would have started as a 71 1300 twin port engine - quite a common option in Europe, the UK and Australia, but very easily rebuilt into a 1600 etc.

Not sure about the number itself either - it does not look even enough for a VW number.

The X after the number would be an engine builders mark, so it's been rebuilt at some time.
http://www.vw-resource.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stock66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump
fla2smoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did some simple math based on the number of cars produced in 1966 and my best guess is the transaxle is from June 1966.

The last transaxle produced in July 1966 should be around 9171351.
Stock66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rest of the car is stamped 5/66. So I suppose this transaxle is original to the car.😃

How do you read the numbers?

Thanks fla2smoker!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chassis engine trans numbers by date are under the "Technical" tabs above.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aussiebug wrote:
Cant help with the gearbox.

The engine number is intriguing.

Not sure about the number itself either - it does not look even enough for a VW number.
The X after the number would be an engine builders mark, so it's been rebuilt at some time.

That's IS part of VW's exchange program. That's why the original number was milled off. And why it doesn't match any number on the factory-engines-installed-in-vechicles charts.

On the transaxle - the numbering between chassis number and transmission numbers is not linear - Type 2s were also sharing serial numbers with the type 1s. These are the entries from Progressive Refinements that list both chassis and tranny numbers during model year 1966.

Aug 01 1965 Chassis 116 000 001 Rear Axle 8185079
Sep 07 1965 Chassis 116 114 583 Rear Axle 8424250
Oct 29 1965 Chassis 116 298 201 Rear Axle 8567900
Jun 08 1966 Chassis 116 976 636 Rear Axle 9343990
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fla2smoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:

On the transaxle - the numbering between chassis number and transmission numbers is not linear - Type 2s were also sharing serial numbers with the type 1s. These are the entries from Progressive Refinements that list both chassis and tranny numbers during model year 1966.

Aug 01 1965 Chassis 116 000 001 Rear Axle 8185079
Sep 07 1965 Chassis 116 114 583 Rear Axle 8424250
Oct 29 1965 Chassis 116 298 201 Rear Axle 8567900
Jun 08 1966 Chassis 116 976 636 Rear Axle 9343990

I had no idea that the Type 2 shared tranny numbers... Thanks for the information. I will need to re-read through the refinements as I have never seen that list of transaxle numbers. Thank You!!
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was from a post I had made 5 years ago, where I pulled any numbers I could find for type 1 out of PR for after the charts cut off in 1965.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=398056&

I don't know in what kind of blocks that VW assigned serial numbers for the two Types, but the Type 2's tranny numbers were always close to the Type 1s despite only making a fraction of the amount of vehicles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stock66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info.

So what does the engine code B denote to? I was told this is a 1600, I'm just trying to piece the story of this car together...

I searched for the exchange engine codes but had no luck.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B was VW's code for 1600 single port. From that same 1973 VW book on the Exchange System:

Stock66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really cool info. So I'm guessing my block came with the VW recycle symbol, the letter B and the serial number was stamped in by the builder...
nz fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
B was VW's code for 1600 single port. From that same 1973 VW book on the Exchange System:

Hi i have a gearbox that the number is O 493826 but i cant find any codes that start with O any ideas cheers fish
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine / tranny serial number help Reply with quote

Engine numbers are rather easier to identify, (well, "born as" but very few of those have not been changed from stock over the years) Now there have been various charts about transaxle specifications, but most of them are not very accurate and many of them just copy unverified, inaccurate data from other sources) so I don't really want to even offer a guess as to what you have in there.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: