Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

W110 cam in a 1600?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
worton75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheer sfor the links, unfortunately the UK one is under construction.
Any ideas on this cam (CB performance 2230)
Eagle Racing Cam - Adv. Duration 264° / Dur. @ .050" 220° / Lift @ cam .301" / Lift w/1.1:1 Rocker Arms .331"
Have found a used 1 for sale but not sure on the spec compared to the W100
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vw engines are a pain when a cam goes flat. It requires a complete tear down. If you want to risk installing a used cam and lifters that is up to you, I wouldn't. Did you try calling the people whose website was under construction? I did notice there was a phone number. You can also e-mail Scott at German Supply in Toronto to see what he would sell one for and what shipping would be. He does a lot of International shipping. I also noticed there were many places in Germany and France that sold them. With your Chunnel, how far can France be? Smile
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No on a used cam. Rolling Eyes
worton75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Did you try calling the people whose website was under construction? I did notice there was a phone number. You can also e-mail Scott at German Supply in Toronto to see what he would sell one for and what shipping would be. He does a lot of International shipping. Smile

No haven't call them yet, by the time i checked the thread it was late in the evening in the UK.
Will email a few places today though.
OK wont bother with a used cam.
What spec Webcam are you using so i know what to ask for / enquire about?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What RPM range do you normally like to drive at in your bus? Do you have a tachometer to tell you?

I will try to make a call to WebCam in Riverside tomorrow and see what they recommend for an engine that has the specs of the one you are designing, guessing at your driving style. Keep in mind that you need both HP and torque in a bus, but it is always torque that breaks things. Someone who always shifts in a spot where an engine has its most torque is more prone to break things. The ideal situation is to have enough torque to get you moving, and then have the camshaft and gearing that gets you up into the RPM range quickly and efficiently where the HP is made.

Only as a reference point - the hottest STOCK 914-4 / bus camshaft used in the North American market had peak HP at 4900 RPM. It only has a duration of 210/206 @ .050. I put one in my 1977 2.0L bus and it is very responsive for the way we drive.

The W-100 is at 236/236 @ .050. The W-110 is even more at 247/247 @ .050.

There is a thread here at the Samba from a well known engine builder where he recently made very impressive HP and torque using an Engle 240/240 duration cam designed to be run in a bug but the engine had some unresolved wear issues - rings or camshaft but we did not hear back on the actual cause. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=444730&highlight=nephew

This is the one I might chose but I will ask WebCam what they think:

Good all around for street or off-road. Can be used with higher lift rockers. (270/270 advertised; 234/234 @ .050)
http://www.webcamshafts.com/pages/automobile/volkswagen/install_data/tc_000670_002436.html

Here is the HP / torque curve on the 914-4 cam that has the 210/206 duration @ .050. As you can see, the torque curve is such that between 2800 RPM and 4500 RPM it is about flat. A driver would feel the acceleration rate slowing but the bus would continue to develop HP as high as 4900 RPM. A longer duration camshaft will generally move the curves to the right. Valve Lift, timing, lobe profile, exhaust and compression ratio all play a part too in this equation. The stock 1971 dual port 1600 bus made peak HP at 4400 RPM and peak torque at 3000 RPM. The cam I believe was 214/214 @ .050. The question becomes, how much higher RPM will you operate your bus engine at?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke with WebCam this morning, Webcam86 and a set of new lifters is what they said would go best in a street bus, more performance than stock but still mild. Should have a little more torque than a W-100
worton75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
I spoke with WebCam this morning, Webcam86 and a set of new lifters is what they said would go best in a street bus, more performance than stock but still mild. Should have a little more torque than a W-100

Cheers for this, still awaiting for the UK based company to get back in touch with me and will updat ewhen i have heard more Very Happy
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will stock single springs run well with a 100 cam? I saw that acnet says single HD springs with the 100 engle cam Think
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the W110 in my combo Wink good lowend and mid-range cam
HD single springs are what I used, heck their only $25 Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
I like the W110 in my combo Wink good lowend and mid-range cam
HD single springs are what I used, heck their only $25 Laughing

Not so much worried about the extra $35 for a set, I am thinking more about valve train pressure and life!
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Esher127
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
Will stock single springs run well with a 100 cam? I saw that acnet says single HD springs with the 100 engle cam Think

So, just my $.02... I took apart an engine that was running a 100 cam and stock springs, and there was carbon buildup in the intake ports.... which to me means that the valves weren't closing quick enough.

So on my engine I went with a Scat C25 cam and got the Scat HD springs that they recommended.

Also, I think I like the C25 more than the 100, but all things in balance. A 100 might work better with different heads or a different intake/carb setup.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esher127 wrote:

So, just my $.02... I took apart an engine that was running a 100 cam and stock springs, and there was carbon buildup in the intake ports.... which to me means that the valves weren't closing quick enough.

How about oil incursion through the guides? Or perhaps the engine was running too cool?

I'm not sure I have ever seen *closing speed of the valve* relating to "cleaning off the carbon in the port" due to, what? swirl effects, velocity?

Please please please people answer the questions regarding your daily life with your Volkswagen *before* you decide on fancy upgrades with unintended long term consequences.

For example, SGKent got it half right on the camshaft "support" issues with aggressive lift or heavy duty valve springs. The cam bearing surface area is generous and suitable.
BUT, the typical half-only thrust surface on the cam bearing closest to the gear is totally inadequate for the thrust forces that are sure to be greater with heavy duty springs or aggressive lift. Along with heavy duty springs and higher lift, you get increased guide wear, increased rocker shaft wear, a greater propensity to valve seat migration in hot conditions, greater risk of lobe/lifter wear/failure, and with some of the suspect metallurgy out there, you can "christmas tree" your valve keeper grooves.

Rather than buy two sets of cam bearings so you can have two full thrust bearing halves (you'll have to notch) for a camshaft or spring set-up that is certifiable for rpms that you **will never use** (like 5,000 rpm which is 18 mph in 1st, 34 mph in 2nd, 56 mph in 3rd, and 86mph in 4th,

why not get a nice easy stock cam that gives you the torque you need to launch your pig off the stop light and pull **better** through the gears at what we all know to be nice relaxed shift points like 13/23/45/cruise60 for a 1600 engine with a magnesium crankcase?
Colin
(now well over one million miles of 0-60 in 60 seconds and now three years of cross-country adventures with a singleport 1600 that has yet to see above 4000 rpm)
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What fun is that Laughing
yep double thrust cam bearings and straight cut gears Wink
I really don't need to get 100k from a motor Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lionhart94010
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good that you have settled on a more suitable cam for a bus, in addition to double thrust can bearings, I would also highly recommend having your engine components balanced, adding a full flow oil filter and swivel/elephant feet valve adjusters to reduce the load on your valve stems/guides as well as reduce the need for valve adjustments.

And do anything else that makes your engine more efficient and reliable; probably noting will be more crucial than to have a very well tuned and jetted carburetor = having a $240 O2 fuel meter on your dash so you can tune it like a pro, otherwise with your non stock combination the odds of getting the AF even close to optimal is 1/100,000 ;0)

http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=2926, add a couple dollars for a muffler shop to weld the bung into your exhaust system and perhaps some extension wire to get to the front of the bus…

In addition, since your stock style T1 engine can only dissipate 40-50 hp worth of heat from its heads on a continuous basis (going uphill/ pushing it on the freeway) any big HP improvements would only be useful for 30 second busts…
thesamba - www.ratwell.com - www.shoptalkforums.com/ - www.vw-resource.com - http://www.type2.com/
http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com/ - www.aircooled.net/gnrlsite/resource/articles.htm
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: