Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who has an ultrasonic cleaner and which one should I buy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crest Ultrasonics makes some very nice machines. I have a few of theirs in both my medical shop and my home shop. Heaters, degas and frequency adjustments are available.

I don't know the manufacturer but my buddy has a BIG one in his shop for doing engine blocks. Works like a charm and he doesn't have that nasty parts cleaner fluid to deal with.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've been using my machine for over a year now. All in all I'm very happy with it. It does a good job on small parts. I would recommend the one I bought. The heater will actually heat cold fluid but if I'm changing the fluid I always heat up the water on the stove to boiling and then mix in the simple green and water into the unit. The heater will maintain the fluid at a very hot temperature and the combination of hot water with simple green does a great job.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Who has an ultrasonic cleaner and which one should I buy Reply with quote

Been thinking about this again recently. Wondering if anyone has any new info, or old, to add to the subject.

I was just looking at this one. Mostly for carbs, mostly motorcycle and small engine stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/TruSonik-Ultrasonic-Industr...mp;sr=1-13
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Who has an ultrasonic cleaner and which one should I buy Reply with quote

^^^^^^^
I have a Chinese one I got off of ebay. It's cheap enough to replace when it breaks. This one is 2 years old and I use it a few times a week. I preheat the water to save time.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Who has an ultrasonic cleaner and which one should I buy Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
^^^^^^^
I have a Chinese one I got off of ebay. It's cheap enough to replace when it breaks. This one is 2 years old and I use it a few times a week. I preheat the water to save time.

When you get the chance, can you share the brand and model #?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Who has an ultrasonic cleaner and which one should I buy Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Glenn wrote:
^^^^^^^

I treat them as disposable. With the amount of times I use it, I don't want one that 5 years old.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Multi-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-...Ga6oosKOwQ

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Who has an ultrasonic cleaner and which one should I buy Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Glenn wrote:
^^^^^^^

I treat them as disposable. With the amount of times I use it, I don't want one that 5 years old.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Multi-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-...Ga6oosKOwQ

Do you have a size recommendation? Seems like at least a gallon (4L?) to get enough depth for carbs.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Who has an ultrasonic cleaner and which one should I buy Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HBDUM74/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is one of the ultrasonic cleaners I use. A carb disassembled will be submerged in it.

As far as warming water on the stove? Come on man!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FO8FY68/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Best $10 bucks I spent. It will heat ambient temp water to hot as hell in 5 minutes. I dunk it in my big ultrasonic cleaner water when I go into the shop. By the time I'm ready to put parts in it, I remove this heater and the water is HOT. The ultrasonic heater will then keep the water temp hot.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristanblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Who has an ultrasonic cleaner and which one should I buy Reply with quote

anyone know off hand about the minimum size USC to fully submerge a disassembled 34PICT carb?

Thanks
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Who has an ultrasonic cleaner and which one should I buy Reply with quote

tristanblue wrote:
anyone know off hand about the minimum size USC to fully submerge a disassembled 34PICT carb?

Thanks

The inside dimensions are available on amazon.

02/76 Beetle sedan
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Who has an ultrasonic cleaner and which one should I buy Reply with quote

I really would like one big enough to clean transmission parts or a crankshaft.

We use a lot of them in my industry. They are large. The transducers on the industrial ones are very powerful so they work when the fluid volume and parts are large.
I will warn people though....if you get a large and powerful unit....be sure to clean the part as best you can after using abrasives...or as much paint as possible ....BEFORE putting it into the ultrasonic unit...and watch your time carefully. It also helps to use a wetting agent if you are using non-solvent based liquid.

On high output units, abrasive materials will stay in very small or microscopic grooves. On soft materials ...and especially with fairly viscous solvents (like xylene compared to MEK)....the abrasives stay in these recesses....and vibrate.

I have seen numerous pieces of tooling destroyed this way...like tooling that starts at $3-5K for each piece. Ray
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Who has an ultrasonic cleaner and which one should I buy Reply with quote

Question- For the cheep Chinese, 5 liter version, for doing taken apart carbs and such...what you you all use as a cleaning agent? I have seen the Simple Green and Water..is there anything else?

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Who has an ultrasonic cleaner and which one should I buy Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
Question- For the cheep Chinese, 5 liter version, for doing taken apart carbs and such...what you you all use as a cleaning agent? I have seen the Simple Green and Water..is there anything else?

Dawn dish detergent. Works fantastic with the hot water. I've used Simply Green and at times it leaves a film on the parts.

Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Who has an ultrasonic cleaner and which one should I buy Reply with quote

Thanks for the Dawn tip Very Happy

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Who has an ultrasonic cleaner and which one should I buy Reply with quote

Stay away from the Harbor Freight, it has an extremely high failure rate. The control pad is right in the path of sloshed water.

I returned a faulty one to HF and actually got a call from corporate HF last week, they said the failure rate was too high and they wanted feedback on how to improve. Also, the HF only allows 8 minute cleaning cycles max. Mine failed in 2 days of light usage.

I've bought a metal bodied one off of Amazon and I'm very happy. 50 minute cleaning cycle, 60°C heating capability. My model was TruSonik 5L digital cleaner for $89.95. I would buy a slightly larger model next time for doing pairs of carburetors
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Who has an ultrasonic cleaner and which one should I buy Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip ^^ ! A friend brought a carb to our club meeting to tell all of the benefits of his US cleaner- now I'm sold and know the one to get. Smile

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Who has an ultrasonic cleaner and which one should I buy Reply with quote

tristanblue wrote:

Thanks

I've run several 34PICT carbs in my 2L (I'll confirm later today) unit. I have to put the cover and the body separately, but the cycle time is only 5-10min so does not take long. Works well.

Byas
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Who has an ultrasonic cleaner and which one should I buy Reply with quote

2.5L. just checked.
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Who has an ultrasonic cleaner and which one should I buy Reply with quote

I'm thinking about replacing my old Harbor Freight unit, and this one appeals to me.

Good old rotary switches seem like a big advantage over circuit boards, especially when you're dealing with water and heat:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G59ZYWJ/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A3OOOH8WJV7B82&psc=1
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Who has an ultrasonic cleaner and which one should I buy Reply with quote

coad wrote:
I'm thinking about replacing my old Harbor Freight unit, and this one appeals to me.

Good old rotary switches seem like a big advantage over circuit boards, especially when you're dealing with water and heat:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G59ZYWJ/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A3OOOH8WJV7B82&psc=1

I have a couple of these from this company. One lasted around 5 months and then crapped out. Through Amazon i contacted the manufacture. They replied the next day to check a couple of things on it. Nothing worked. They replied back they'd replace it. A few days later a brand new one arrived. They said to use the old one for parts. No need for it back.

Great customer service by the company.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: