Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Winter Driving: Tips, Tricks, & Mods (2WD & 4WD)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluefirefly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Birdcage wrote:
I've been driving the wife's rig with NOKIAN rotiivas for the past week in snow, ice.

I do not recommend them.

Thanks for the report as I was looking at them and had a doubt.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "winter snowflake" or "severe service emblem" has always been the real joke: it's ridiculously easy to get, and has only ever meant that a tire has passable winter traction as opposed to none at all. The danger lies in the consumer mis-interpreting the "severe" and snowflake as indicating an actual Winter Tire, when in reality it just differentiates the Ditch Dwellers from the Made it Homes.

I imagine this all-terrain tire with snowflake would perform in snow about the same as a BFG all terrain (which also has a snowflake) in snow. Birdcage says he's driving on ice....I know that is where the BFG AT is at it's weakest and I bet the same is true of the Rotiiva (due to sipe count).
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluefirefly wrote:
This is my problem with Nokian!

Jon linked a "european" site, look at the site address carefully, it is for tyre with a Y where they call the Rotiiva a summer tire!

Now, if you look at this following address from a North American website, you will see tire (with a I) and indeed, they call the Rotiiva a winter tire..... with Severe Service Emblem..... what a joke.

I did not know about that web site difference, thanks for the education.

Yes, tires are a study topic in themselves.

But, before we go too far on the Rotiiva, let me just say there is no reason to put it on a Vanagon. It does not Belong on a Vanagon because it is a Standard Load 4 ply tire.
according to this link:
http://simpletire.com/nokian-rotiiva-at-tires
Tire Size: 215/70R-16
Load Range: SL (4 Ply)

For a Vanagon it is better to go with at minimum an XL load rated tire 4 ply, and I personally prefer a Light Truck C rated, 6 ply tire.

The following size Nokian WRC Van Winter tire is C rated
205/65R16 C 107/105 T VAN
up to 118 mph, max load 2150 lb
Birdcage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
bluefirefly wrote:
This is my problem with Nokian!

Jon linked a "european" site, look at the site address carefully, it is for tyre with a Y where they call the Rotiiva a summer tire!

Now, if you look at this following address from a North American website, you will see tire (with a I) and indeed, they call the Rotiiva a winter tire..... with Severe Service Emblem..... what a joke.

I did not know about that web site difference, thanks for the education.

Yes, tires are a study topic in themselves.

But, before we go too far on the Rotiiva, let me just say there is no reason to put it on a Vanagon. It does not Belong on a Vanagon because it is a Standard Load 4 ply tire.
according to this link:
http://simpletire.com/nokian-rotiiva-at-tires
Tire Size: 215/70R-16
Load Range: SL (4 Ply)

For a Vanagon it is better to go with at minimum an XL load rated tire 4 ply, and I personally prefer a Light Truck C rated, 6 ply tire.

The following size Nokian WRC Van Winter tire is C rated
205/65R16 C 107/105 T VAN
up to 118 mph, max load 2150 lb

Seriously,

I simply made a comment about how they perform in snow/ice. Thanks for your uneducated opinion on my tires, FYI they are 107 load rating and XL ply.

Am I correct in assuming you don't have any first hand knowledge of this tire on snow/ice? And are just simply regurgitating some specs found online that are not even correct for my tires? Typical

I had not seen many folks comment on the rotiivas and wanted to try something different, since this is the winter driving syncro thread I thought it might be a relevant comment in case someone else was thinking of this tire. They are great 3 season tires on and off-road just not anywhere you'll be dealing with snow/ice.

See how that works, I comment on things I have direct knowledge about. And if I don't have first hand experience on a subject I dont go muddling it all up.

No need to reply, it's exhausting beating a dead horse.
bluefirefly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez, you are so aggressive.... take a chamomile or something....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Birdcage,

Appreciate the info that these are poor on ice and snow because many do live in places that are warm but like to play on ice and snow for trips, etc. Also agree you were a little heavy handed, but I suspect had the same conversation taken place around a fire you guys would have figured out that your tires are properly road rated pleasantly. The limitations of yakking on a forum, yes?

Rgds,
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
corter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They told us 6-10" then rain here on Cape Cod, but it didn't warm up so we got around 2 feet with drifts over 4' due to wind. Got to be an honorary Westy for the day but the driving ban meant I only got to pack down the driveway! Dylan built the underside of this van and it drives straight through almost 2 feet of snow without an issue.

front/rear lockers, aggressive VC, stock gearing with a Zetec, 225/75/16 bfg a/t's

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Driving ban is lifted at midnight, so I'll probably sneak out for a bit then to explore. I'm sure there was a ton of erosion during this storm
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping to see you out having some fun with that beast Exclamation
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That rig looks battle-ready !

Any serious getting stuck or roll-overs without anyone getting hurt ... get us some pics Wink Very Happy
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corter I dare you to spell "Civil Disobedience" in an empty parking lot with those BFGs. Proper cursive, of course.

If need be put a sign that say "Emergency Samaritan Patrol" in the back window.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

corter wrote:

FWIW Trasharoo doesn't recommend that you leave their bag on full time.

Nice pic.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

corter wrote:
stock gearing with a Zetec, 225/75/16 bfg a/t's

15% taller than stock in all gears including granny. Some of us install a front and rear 5.43 Ring and Pinion set, 12% shorter than stock, to compensate for that 4" over stock diameter tire.

But hey, not everyone has a trust fund Smile

Thanks for sharing your ride.
corter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok kids, here's some pictures.

Notes to keep this thread-appropriate: As my first time in snow after a 3 year build, and never having driven a syncro in the snow before, I think all the right choices were made in this project. Daryl (rip) and Dylan really guided me the right way and we built one hell of a van. The front and rear lockers got me in and out of 2' of unplowed double track. Aggressive VC did it's thing, and the best part was that at the end of it all, I could pop it all off and drive home decoupled on the clear main streets. There was a bit of worry about the big tires, but yea...they definitely helped Very Happy

Most of the time I was simply coupled on packed snow. A few times I used the rear locker, and one or two unplowed trails required the front locker. Granny gear with the stock r&p was absolutely insane- just monster trucked through everything! Definitely suggest the full Bostig skid plate setup and even the Go Westy front skid plate (or similar) for deep snow, it was kind of like driving a sled at points and they really helped.

I was worried I was keeping up with the Jones' and installing all this stuff I would never use. I no longer have that worry, because they've made this van an unbelievable tool for adventure!

I was kind of busy driving, but here's a few pics I managed to take:

Travel buddies

Photo Stop, storm eroded away about 25 ft. of dunes and the entire entry to the beach

Nauset Light on the way out

WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the nice pics, Corter.

You even took 'Arfy' the dog for the ride Very Happy

Your rig looks ready to come out west and run with the best of the syncronauts here Cool
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very pleased to see and hear that the Corter van is performing well.
It was a long process for sure.
I feel kinda like a proud Uncle so to speak.

I also heard via the van-a-grapevine that a few Cape Cod and Western Mass Volks are getting together in a few weeks.
My Buddy Steve Rose should get a kick out of the underside.
Be safe, dress warmly Exclamation
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: studded vs non Reply with quote

I have been fortunate to have a few different sets of Nokian Tires mounted.
Today was the final straw...no more unstudded winter tires for me.

In a thread last winter, many said I was nuts and had to try a new set of unstudded Noks.
Well, I did, in 14s, 15s and 16s...sorry Volks, but my Syncros will stay studded up.
No comparison in control and braking, period.

The unstudded tires with very few miles will go on CL first and than eBay if no takers.
I would prefer to not ship them.
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

corter wrote:

I was worried I was keeping up with the Jones' and installing all this stuff I would never use. I no longer have that worry, because they've made this van an unbelievable tool for adventure!

I feel the same way. Our van spends about as much time off paved roads as on it seems. I did spend a lot of dollars turning this van from a non-locker to having a triple knob setup. I looked for a long time before we purchased our van but never could find one with everything we wanted.

Yes Daryl Crying or Very sad and Dylan both had a hand in my work and gave me a vehicle to go just about anywhere. Their expertise is invaluable when building up a Syncro.

Now if we could just get some snow out here in Utah Rolling Eyes
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been my pleasure to assist Ron.
Each time I see a picture of your van it makes me Very Happy .

Years ago I was hoping a few more would get hooked as I did...so many sweet vans out and about now.

I am working on an 87 Syncro Westfalia for Andrew currently...this thing is getting every bell and whistle plus a full restore and fresh paint.
Pics coming soon.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Clipper arrived early this AM, 12 hours ahead of schedule.
12"-16" for my area of NY and on its way due East towards Boston and the Cape Shocked

Switching back to studded Nokians has saved me and my trusty Syncro's a$$ twice since doing so...single digit temps and 25mph winds has been glazing roads and offering up drifts where they were not hours previously.

Sorry to hear of the lack of snow elsewhere and ski areas going belly up...we were in the same position for the last 2-3 years around here.

FYI, the Fluid Film treatments have really been paying off under the van.
More to come on that.
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
Switching back to studded Nokians has saved me and my trusty Syncro's a$$ twice since doing so...single digit temps and 25mph winds has been glazing roads and offering up drifts where they were not hours previously.

An interesting 'real world experience' comment. I presume you're talking primary about driving on partial or shear ice ? I know my nokians do comparatively (to other non-studded tires) well on ice but are not the end-all and certainly not superior to studs.

But so far I haven't had to use studs or even chains with the nokians (so far) even in the mountain snows and road ice out here. Of course I've had to adjust my normal driving habits Wink

But not ditzing you ... it's actually good to know how they are handling in your situation. Now let's see some real Dylan 4-wheeling pics !! Cool

And yes ... we are going to have some really serious water issues and water wars out here by summer if this spring weather keeps up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: