Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 117, 118, 119 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
ultra_rnr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone identify the wheels that SyncroGreg put on Pastis during his epic build thread? Seven spoke, matt black?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...p;start=60
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ultra_rnr wrote:
Can anyone identify the wheels that SyncroGreg put on Pastis during his epic build thread? Seven spoke, matt black?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...p;start=60

16x7 ET37 '01-'05 VW Passat wheels. They originally come silver. Greg made his black.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
ultra_rnr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On page one I found this:
16x7 ET45 '98-'01 Passat
12mm spacers front and rear
***Notes*** Centerbores enlarged, 50mm long front lug bolts, 45mm long rear studs. Centercaps don't fit with 12mm spacers, 15mm would most likely allow centercap fitment (Franklinstower)

I assume his are the next generation, do they need the same spacers and modifications?
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ultra_rnr wrote:
On page one I found this:
16x7 ET45 '98-'01 Passat
12mm spacers front and rear
***Notes*** Centerbores enlarged, 50mm long front lug bolts, 45mm long rear studs. Centercaps don't fit with 12mm spacers, 15mm would most likely allow centercap fitment (Franklinstower)

I assume his are the next generation, do they need the same spacers and modifications?

The wheels that are described by Franklinstower are different than the ones that SyncroGreg put on his Syncro. The wheels that SyncroGreg installed are definitely 16x7 ET37.

Would you be running them on a 2wd or Syncro? Stock brakes or aftermarket "big" brakes? Any suspension modifications?

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwfreek61 wrote:
SyncroChrick wrote:
The clearance in the front is really tight. I am not 100% certain that it would fit when there is a tire on the wheel.

Double check the wheel widths. I have a set of similar wheels that I picked up to put on my Vanagon and they are a staggered set...the rear wheels are wider.

thanks - I checked and all 4 are the same.
ultra_rnr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I could find a pair of those Passat wheels they would be for a syncro, 1.5 inches of lift, modified rear trailing arms by Burley as well as his UCAs. big brakes from an Audi.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ultra_rnr wrote:
If I could find a pair of those Passat wheels they would be for a syncro, 1.5 inches of lift, modified rear trailing arms by Burley as well as his UCAs. big brakes from an Audi.

In order to run those 16x7 ET37 wheels on a Syncro, you will need to either have the centerbores of the wheels opened up to 66.56mm, modify the snout on the hubs to reduce the diameter or install a set of spacers with longer studs. If you add spacers to the front, I would add them to the rear also, which will again require longer studs. You will definitely need a set of small ball seat lug nuts as well.

geodude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: 2005 C280 Rims Reply with quote

I recently installed these rims from a 2005 C280. 16x7 ET31 with no spacers on a Carat. Tires are Hercules Power CV 205/65R16 107/105R. Ride is amazing! Noise is down, doesn't have the wobbles like before, and the shoulders are nice and stiff.

To mount I needed longer studs in the rear (50mm) and with the Eurospec front brakes (basically the same as the Van Cafe big brakes) I needed 55 mm studs in the front. Small ball lugs all around and the mounting holes needed drilling out with a 37/64th bit (I think that was the size!). I want to thank Loggy for the hardware and the ease of business.

I can almost fit the center caps. Only about 5mm off, a low dome shaped cap would fit.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for posting those images, I have the same van/same color and intend to install similar wheels. Yes Christophe has been really helpful.
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry if this has been already answered, but it's hard to go through 118 pages…

What would be the problem with using wheel adapter/spacers like those?

That does not seem to be a popular option.

Those are 5x112 to 5x112, so you would have the same bolt pattern.
Are-they too thick? Or maybe the center hole is too small?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Billet-Wheel-Adapters-5x...mp;vxp=mtr

syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

t3 technique sells adapters like that.
I have read of people using them for high ET wheels.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SyncroChrick wrote:
I am sorry if this has been already answered, but it's hard to go through 118 pages…

What would be the problem with using wheel adapter/spacers like those?

That does not seem to be a popular option.

Those are 5x112 to 5x112, so you would have the same bolt pattern.
Are-they too thick? Or maybe the center hole is too small?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Billet-Wheel-Adapters-5x...mp;vxp=mtr

Yes, adapters are definitely a good option of may situations, but you have to remember that adapters make up a certain amount of thickness that will effectively change the offset of the wheel.

Say for instance you have a wheel with a 60mm offset. If we add a 30mm adapter into the mix, you will end up with an effective offset of 30mm (60mm - 30mm = 30mm). However, if you have a wheel with a 30mm offset and you add the same 30mm adapter, you will end up with an effective offset of 0mm (30mm - 30mm = 0mm). So when considering spacers or adapters, you always have to keep in mind the effect that the thickness of the spacer or adapters will have on the effective offset.

Now, I do design and sell excellent quality adapters and spacers, but adapters like are shown in the photo above are scary. Those cheap, non-hubcentric, multi-bolt pattern adapters are not very strong. I would never consider them a safe alternative.

boinzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could I get some advice on whether this wheel will fit on my 2002 EuroVan and if I need spacers?

Rim Diameter 16 inches
Rim Width 7 inches
Bolt Pattern 5 x 112 millimeters
Offset 40 millimeters
Backspace 5.58 inches
Bore Diameter 74.10 millimeters

I've never bought an aftermarket wheel before.

It's the offset and backspace that I'm not sure about. I can paste the link to the listing if it helps.

Thank you.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boinzy wrote:
Could I get some advice on whether this wheel will fit on my 2002 EuroVan and if I need spacers?

Rim Diameter 16 inches
Rim Width 7 inches
Offset 40 millimeters
Backspace 5.58 inches

It's the offset and backspace that I'm not sure about. I can paste the link to the listing if it helps.

Thank you.

Yes, those wheels should fit your Eurovan just fine. I would strongly suggest purchasing a set of hubcentric rings to go from 74.1mm to 57.1mm. You will most likely need new lug bolts as well since most aftermarket wheels require conical seat lugs and the original Eurovan wheels used ball seat lugs.

boinzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great. Thanks for weighing in.

Does the 40mm offset mean that the wheel will stick out a little more (or less?) than stock?

Is that what offset is?

Dan

Christopher Schimke wrote:
boinzy wrote:

Rim Diameter 16 inches
Rim Width 7 inches
Offset 40 millimeters
Backspace 5.58 inches

Thank you.

Yes, those wheels should fit your Eurovan just fine. I would strongly suggest purchasing a set of hubcentric rings to go from 74.1mm to 57.1mm. You will most likely need new lug bolts as well since most aftermarket wheels require conical seat lugs and the original Eurovan wheels used ball seat lugs.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boinzy wrote:
Great. Thanks for weighing in.

Does the 40mm offset mean that the wheel will stick out a little more (or less?) than stock?

Is that what offset is?

Dan

Yes, 40mm is the distance from the wheel centerline to the hub mating surface. Eurovans came with a variety of different wheels and offsets, most of which were a little higher than 40mm.

Here is a good comparison - 15x7 ET46 original Eurovan wheels versus the 16x7 ET40 wheels that you are considering.

The new wheels will sit exactly 6mm further outboard due to the lower offset number.

boinzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually on my 2002 EV, my stock wheels are 16x7. Are they ET46 as well?

And if I may ask another question, do you think going up to 17 inch rims help me gain more tire options?

As you may be aware, finding 16 inch tires that hold the proper load rating is a challenge.

Thanks again.

Yes, 40mm is the distance from the wheel centerline to the hub mating surface. Eurovans came with a variety of different wheels and offsets, most of which were a little higher than 40mm.

Here is a good comparison - 15x7 ET46 original Eurovan wheels versus the 16x7 ET40 wheels that you are considering.

The new wheels will sit exactly 6mm further outboard due to the lower offset number.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boinzy wrote:
Actually on my 2002 EV, my stock wheels are 16x7. Are they ET46 as well?

And if I may ask another question, do you think going up to 17 inch rims help me gain more tire options?

As you may be aware, finding 16 inch tires that hold the proper load rating is a challenge.

Thanks again.

I'm guessing that your wheels are the five spoke version. These would be 16x7 ET49. The new wheels that you are looking at would sit 9mm further outboard.

As for tires, I don't really get into the tire debate because I find much of what is said to be a bit over the top and sometimes lacking common sense. I would suggest doing research on 17" tires to see if you find some that suit your needs. That will be the ultimate deciding factor. I would suggest taking a look at the Nokian eNTYRE and WRG3.

bjochi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ultra_rnr wrote:

In order to run those 16x7 ET37 wheels on a Syncro, you will need to either have the centerbores of the wheels opened up to 66.56mm, modify the snout on the hubs to reduce the diameter or install a set of spacers with longer studs. If you add spacers to the front, I would add them to the rear also, which will again require longer studs. You will definitely need a set of small ball seat lug nuts as well.

What about a 2wd?
scooterick86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject: will these fit Reply with quote

I have a 2wd and want to know if these will fit.

I found these, guy said they came off a jetta. He doesnt know the year or bolt pattern.

From what i could find, the only ones that look like this are passat wheels, at least on ebay.

Just curious if they will. i think i found another post on here, i searched google and it came up with the similar looking wheel. I know VW changed bolt patterns for different years so Im hesitant. from the previous post "3B0601025A, 7.2x15H2, ET 45"

They are cheap, but its a long drive.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 117, 118, 119 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Page 118 of 174

Jump to: