Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Chains for my Vanagon
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:48 pm    Post subject: Chains for my Vanagon Reply with quote

I'm headed to Utah and Tahoe to ski with family and friends. I have a '69 bay window that I've used for ski trips for the last twenty years. It has insulation and chains. I recently bought a Vanagon poptop and drove West Coast to East Coast and back. I'll be using the Vanagon for the next ski trip and am contemplating purchasing chains for it. I did a bit of a search but couldn't find what I was looking for.

What are the best chains for my Vanagon? The PO did a 2" lift and 215/R65 R16 tires. Others have recommended Thule and their 102 fits the tire. I haven't been under the Vanagon to check clearance for chains. It's raining tonight. What about cable chains? Will there be a clearance problem and cables would be better than chains?

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only you are going to know the clearance for your vehicle with your mods so really asking here is not really going to be accurate for you. You have to wait for the rain to stop or stick your smartphone under there and take a picture.

I haven't mounted chains in 15 years, but my recommendation would be one of the chains designs with the X-pattern instead of the old design chain that just goes across the tire from sidewall to sidewall.

Your problem I'm guessing is going to be the trailing arm clearance at the edge of the tire. My 2cents, but this advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't bother stopping in Tahoe to ski, we don't have any snow. Seriously, it looks like May. On the flip, won't matter what chains you have, you won't need them.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve M and vegpdlr for the replies. I expect that the trailing arm clearance might be a problem and that I will have to crawl under and measure when the rain stops. The Thule chains are an X pattern and would be my preference, but cables might be a better choice for clearance.

The Tahoe ski trip is not just about the snow. It is a gathering of pilots, sons, nephews, and grandsons. The group includes fighter pilots of the Vietnam era, National Guard pilots, retired pilots from Aloha Airlines, and a couple of active airline pilots. Several in the group are multi millionaires and when we're short on transportation I load them into my '69 camper. I don't unfold the bed and they have to lie down together in a pile as we go uphill in first gear at 9 mph with reggae music blasting in back. I make my turns as sharp as possible and tumble them around. It's more about the camaraderie than the snow. We tell a lot of war stories, bad jokes, and talk stink about the guys that don't show up. If Mark can come join us from Vermont, and Bill from Texas, then certainly I can drive from Utah to Tahoe.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burley will trim the pinch weld and reinforce the arm for chain clearance.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked the tire clearance.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It looks like cables would be the only choice for chains. Not much snow expected so I think I'll put off chain purchase until departure time, with a check on expected road conditions. If blizzards are expected I'll opt for the '69 camper with chains, Mr Buddy, and insulation. Would like to stop in Zion National Park on the way North.

Aloha
tp
JCTahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring your mtn bike to Tahoe, the riding is fantastic right now.
And if you have a paddle board, the lake has been glass.....

VW's from my past:
72 Bay
79 Campmobile
81 Vanagon
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

Just out of curiousity, I went out to put my hand in that same spot to check for clearance. I have 205/75-14 studded snow tires, and I have nearly an inch and a half of clearance there. In fact, I was kind of surprised how much. These are on factory alloys. The clearance is easily able to accomodate a set of full-on traditional chains.

I have a set of cable chains (SMC?) that I use. They would clear yours easily. Next time I'd get a diamond pattern however - less bumpy than these which cross the tread at 90 degrees.

As a parting note, several tire shops in my area and throughout the West (Les Schwab) will take unused chains back at the end of the season. So you can buy a set and then get your money back if you don't need them for your trip.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: