Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Verify on how to remove charcoal canister from loop
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gbrandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject: Verify on how to remove charcoal canister from loop Reply with quote

Hi, I am in the middle of Baja moving south. I am getting vacuum in my fuel tank. I removed the charcoal canister and hosting, blew through the hoses that I could,tested the valve using my lungs as vacuum.

After putting it all together the system worked again, i.e., no vacuum in fuel tank.

After about 250 miles I filled up and there was a slight vacuum, better than before, but there.

Its hard for me to get parts so I want to just disconnect the charcoal system.

Can I just remove the purple and white hose from the engine and plug the nipples on the engine? Will that temporarily 'fix' the issue?

Thanks
Gregor
Canada to Europe and back (including Turkey, Morocco and Iceland), 2017 to 2019
Mexico 2022-2023
https://www.instagram.com/live.travel.play/
http://livetravelplay.ca
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the fuel tank vacuum problem and bought a new charcoal canister but it didn't fix it - it turns out the small plastic nozzles in the fuel expansion tanks were blocked up.

Remove the hoses to the expansion tanks (two hoses each size) and use a nail or pin to check that these nozzles are clear. Be careful when removing and replacing the hoses because the plastic nozzles are brittle.
gbrandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
I had the fuel tank vacuum problem and bought a new charcoal canister but it didn't fix it - it turns out the small plastic nozzles in the fuel expansion tanks were blocked up.

Remove the hoses to the expansion tanks (two hoses each size) and use a nail or pin to check that these nozzles are clear. Be careful when removing and replacing the hoses because the plastic nozzles are brittle.

Thanks. New hoses 2 months ago, problem is new. So its not the hoses....

Gregor
Mexico 2022-2023
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tank popping issue happened after I replaced the hoses - unless you cleared the nozzles when you replaced the hoses it still could be the problem
1vw4x4
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Verify on how to remove charcoal canister from loop Reply with quote

The small tube on top of the charcoal canister goes to a tee then to the expansion tanks. By removing this line it should vent the tank. If it does not this line is where the clog is. You can also vent the tank by removing any of the lines that go to the expansion tanks.
Keep in mind this is not good for the fuel and not good for the environment.

gbrandt wrote:
Hi, I am in the middle of Baja moving south. I am getting vacuum in my fuel tank. I removed the charcoal canister and hosting, blew through the hoses that I could,tested the valve using my lungs as vacuum.

After putting it all together the system worked again, i.e., no vacuum in fuel tank.

After about 250 miles I filled up and there was a slight vacuum, better than before, but there.

Can I just remove the purple and white hose from the engine and plug the nipples on the engine? Will that temporarily 'fix' the issue?

Thanks
Gregor
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you took out the charcoal canister did you inspect and clean the vent tube and hose coming out of the bottom of the canister? As 1vw4x4 says, disconnect the tubing on the top of the canister that goes towards the front of your van. If the tank does not vent when you do this, the clog is somewhere in the tubing between the canister and the expansion tanks (or, less likely, between the expansion tanks and the gas tank). If the tank does vent when you do this, it is likely a clogged charcoal canister. Cleaning out the vent on the bottom of the canister may help.
gbrandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

termuehlen wrote:
When you took out the charcoal canister did you inspect and clean the vent tube and hose coming out of the bottom of the canister? As 1vw4x4 says, disconnect the tubing on the top of the canister that goes towards the front of your van. If the tank does not vent when you do this, the clog is somewhere in the tubing between the canister and the expansion tanks (or, less likely, between the expansion tanks and the gas tank). If the tank does vent when you do this, it is likely a clogged charcoal canister. Cleaning out the vent on the bottom of the canister may help.

Yup, that hose is fine
Mexico 2022-2023
gbrandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Verify on how to remove charcoal canister from loop Reply with quote

I know this is not good for the environment, but how is it not good for the fuel? I guess if I park it long enough I can lose all my gas to the atmosphere.

ITs just hard to get parts, even in Baja, and we are heading into the mainland and south from here. I'd assumed that unplugging the system at the engine would be a good solution until I can find the real issue and/or find the parts.

I will test next time by unplugging the small hose and seeing if that vents the tank.

Right now I am running with a rag in the gas tank instead of the cap for fear that the tank will self destruct.

Thanks,
Gregor

1vw4x4 wrote:
The small tube on top of the charcoal canister goes to a tee then to the expansion tanks. By removing this line it should vent the tank. If it does not this line is where the clog is. You can also vent the tank by removing any of the lines that go to the expansion tanks.
Keep in mind this is not good for the fuel and not good for the environment.

gbrandt wrote:

Thanks
Gregor

Mexico 2022-2023
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the purple hose you describe operates the valve on the charcoal canister evap system. The canister only purges when the engine is under load. So, I don't see how disconnecting it allows the evap system to be disabled.

I get that you are in the middle of nowhere. If it were me, I'd remove carefully one of the vent hoses that goes between the fuel tank and the fender tanks. One should suffice. Install a cheap inline fuel filter and add a piece of hose to that so you can have the open end in a dry clean location. This should allow the tank to vent and not introduce contaminants.

Another option would be to remove the gas cap seal.

edit. Cap the nipple on the fender tank.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my cannister there was a spider nest blocking the vent.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: