Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Canadian 1967 11 window restoration.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

esde wrote:
So what's your plan for cladding the steel frame with the bent laminated parts? My plan of attack would have been to roll a hoop from some flat steel and laminate that within the bamboo layers. I'm very curious how you're going to to do this..
Nice work on the laminating, it'll be bear strong for sure.

seems like an inside outside, or top and bottom split, routing out the steel hoop would be what i would do. i am pretty sure this will be well documented, looking forward to seeing it

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

esde wrote:
So what's your plan for cladding the steel frame with the bent laminated parts? My plan of attack would have been to roll a hoop from some flat steel and laminate that within the bamboo layers. I'm very curious how you're going to to do this..
Nice work on the laminating, it'll be bear strong for sure.

Thanks, and yes the hoop is very strong (laminated bamboo), I can sit on it full weight with no deflection.

The plan for wrapping the bamboo over the steel, is to router out a groove in the bamboo (once assembled) to fit the steel in the centre of the two halves. This is also the place where the four layers of carbon fibre will lay (on either side of the steel).

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized that I have not updated things on my build thread for awhile now. Most of my post have been on the build of the Steering Wheel, so just to tie things together..here is the link to the wheel build:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611793

and the Youtube links:

https://youtu.be/pXPRzP4_i14
https://youtu.be/t4JfLVQ-nJs
https://youtu.be/Fg7BaVpxGic
https://youtu.be/byrx8TrL_AI

The wheel is still not quite done yet. I am in the finishing stages of sanding the epoxy coating to a smooth flawless finish before the final lacquer is sprayed on.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Gordo.

pacrat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:49 am    Post subject: WOW! Reply with quote

Gordo.[/quote]

I love following this build! That steering wheel is amazing!
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just down in California for a few days, to pick up my Son from College of the Sequoias. We had to stay until the Tuesday to get some banking etc. done, which also afforded me the chance to zip over to Farmerville and visit one of the Meccas of the VW world...CB Performance. I was the kid in the candy store. After I picked out my new shirt, I bought a electronic dizzy set-up for the 2110. The very helpful and knowledgable counter staff helped me choose the Magnaspark 2 kit,that comes with billet hold down and fuel pump block-off/coil holder, as well as coil and wire set.

If you are every anywhere near there I would strongly suggest going in to visit them. They are great people with even better products.

Gordo.

flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian 1967 11 window restoration. Reply with quote

Well it has been quite awhile since my last update on the progress or lack of progress, however you choose to view it, on my Bus.

After the find and sale of the Barn Door parts, I was left with the Barn door steering wheel to sell. It has been promised to Lanner in exchange for some 944 conversion parts. In the meantime I found a complete set of 944 brakes, spindles, rear control arms and a set of 15" Fuchs.

The only bits I will be using are the front hubs and the Fuchs. Rear hubs, front Wildwood adapter kit and e-brake adapters are coming from Lanner. The plan is to run Wildwood 6 piston callipers up front and 4 piston callipers in the back.

Since the BD wheel will be leaving me soon I thought it would be awhile before I would have one in my possession again. So, I took a mould of the outer ring. That way I can build repair kits for BD's if needed.

While I was doing that I also made moulds of the Bamboo Wheel, so that I can pop out some full Carbon Fibre VDM custom repos.

The next revision had to do with the planned audio system for the Bus. The front set-up has a Focal 3-way mounted on the doors with Bamboo salad bowl pods. The mid section has Focal coaxial mounted over head that will be hidden mostly by the headliner. In the back I have Focal 2-way set-up the the 6.5" woofer mounted in the hatch. The only part I was not completely happy with was the sub box.

Not my finest work. The drivers were ones that I had hanging around and thought I would find a use for them..not a good plan. It turns out that it would take too much of an amp to drive them properly and they would not work well in this build. The box also does not match the quality that I want to represent with this build either.
So, I bought a single 8" Focal sub woofer and began to design a 6th order band pass box to replace the 2, 10"s.

Now to build a 6th order box there is loads of math involved. Bose owns the patent on many designs related to 6th order stuff, so for many it is trial and error. But when done right, this design of box produces amazing base levels at very low frequencies. And I wanted something that will look amazing sitting under the rear seat.

Now the epoxy resin finish will bring out the grain of the Birch and show a nice contrast to the edge grain of the ply. But, the box needs to be tested before the finish goes on, in the event that work needs to be done to the port areas. The box will be tuned to 30Hz and 45Hz and consume 500 watts max.

So it should sound better than the other box, but I think it definitely looks better.

Gordo.

Last edited by flemcadiddlehopper on Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
junichi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian 1967 11 window restoration. Reply with quote

Shocked damn!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian 1967 11 window restoration. Reply with quote

junichi wrote:
Shocked damn!

Thanks.

Just ran a test on the box. Running it off my home theatre sub leads. Huge difference to my previous box, much lower, richer bass. Not being run anywhere near the amperage needed yet, but still positive test. Time to seal the box up proper and add the finish.

Gordo.

joshbuchan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian 1967 11 window restoration. Reply with quote

Wicked gordo!!! Just yesterday I was thinking about that crazyass barndoor adventure Laughing that sub box is THE SHIT!! When I was a young punk I had a band pass with a 10" JL that was waaaaay louder than any of my buddies multi sub boxes....could bounce a half full beer can an inch off the roof of my rabbit when the bass hit Twisted Evil
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian 1967 11 window restoration. Reply with quote

joshbuchan wrote:
Wicked gordo!!! Just yesterday I was thinking about that crazyass barndoor adventure Laughing that sub box is THE SHIT!! When I was a young punk I had a band pass with a 10" JL that was waaaaay louder than any of my buddies multi sub boxes....could bounce a half full beer can an inch off the roof of my rabbit when the bass hit Twisted Evil

Thanks, I can't take all the credit for it. The inspiration for it came from Doug Bernards' Mule.

Link

Gordo.

Outkast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian 1967 11 window restoration. Reply with quote

Wow is right !!!!!!!!great work on that box Going to look great with all the other touches you have added Very Happy

57 kombi

" f!@#k"Cancer
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joshbuchan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian 1967 11 window restoration. Reply with quote

That tool makes my brain hurt Rolling Eyes
Tuned Perfection
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian 1967 11 window restoration. Reply with quote

You sure you can run a 6 piston caliper with 15" rims?
That sub box is killer by the way!!! Way nicer than the box I used to run with the Treasure Troll in it and a Plexi face so you could see it's hair move with the bass.. Cool
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Canadian 1967 11 window restoration. Reply with quote

Tuned Perfection wrote:

No, I am never sure of anything until I try it. But, the O.D. of the Dynapro 6A lug mount calliper mounted for a 11" rotor is just a hair over 13".

Once rotors and calliper adapters are mounted then I will be able to measure to be somewhat more certain before ordering the callipers.

Gordo.

getgeoff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Canadian 1967 11 window restoration. Reply with quote

Good to see you back at it Gord
flat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian 1967 11 window restoration. Reply with quote

flemcadiddlehopper wrote:
Tuned Perfection wrote:

No, I am never sure of anything until I try it. .

Should fit. The 6 piston wilwood is only 5mm further out on radius than the 4 piston dynalite, which fits easy under 15s.

Awesome sub box. Hope to hear it someday

Lanner
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Canadian 1967 11 window restoration. Reply with quote

The sub box is nearly done. The finish went on. I disassembled the box to apply 5 layers of West Systems epoxy to the wood. The first 3 coats were put on just to fill the pores and seal the wood so that bubbles will not end up in the finishing coats of epoxy. Then the epoxy coat was rubbed out to 2000 grit wet. Once the box has had it's final assembly it will be sprayed with a shellac to give it the UV protection it might need.

After sanding for a few hours, I gave my head a shake, because only the front will be seen once it's in place.

Gordo.

flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian 1967 11 window restoration. Reply with quote

I have started into the process of fitting the 944 rotors onto the Bus. But, once I head down that path I will not be able to move my Bus out of the carport until I have rubber on my Fuchs (now relax all you puritan Porsche fanatics, I know they are not real Fuchs, but what alas am I going to call them?).

So before I can put rubber on them, they need some work.

I was not sure what direction to head with these either. I toyed with the idea of colour matched centres with polished lips, but then I would want the paint on them to be as polished out as it will be on the body...not going top happen right now. Then I thought of going to the RS look of satin petals and lip...not shine enough, and not real fuchs, so not real RS. Why ask to be picked on.

So I thought I would polish the lips and the petals myself and then color match the background. That way if the paint I use is not an exact match (Lordco paint department paint code rattle cans) there is not much of it so it will not be as noticeable.

So I have started to polish...holy shit, it's more work than I had anticipated. One wheel, just the petals...sanding from 300 to 3000 grit, then polishing with four different bars and finishing with two different foam pads and Mothers polishing compound for aluminum wheels....2 1/2 hours.
It took awhile to figure out the order of events ion this process. But, I figure I can polish the petals first, then polish the lips ( I rigged an electric motor and a belt to spin the wheel for that process) , then I can prime and paint the backgrounds.

But I think I'm getting the hang of it now.

The first wheel.

The before and after shot.

More to come as I work my way through these.

Gordo.

panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian 1967 11 window restoration. Reply with quote

Looking good Gordo.
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian 1967 11 window restoration. Reply with quote

Impressive!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 23

Jump to: