Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Door Trim Questions: Oh, no! Not again!
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Door Trim Questions: Oh, no! Not again! Reply with quote

My new door skins have to be prepared to receive the new outside chrome trim strips. The subject has been raised in a umber of threads, but not quite resolved, as far as I can see. I want to fit the trim exactly where the factory had placed them.

Note: I have new door-skins, so there are no filled in holes to guide me. Note also that I've had to replace the lowed front and rear guard bits so that there's no guidance from that side either.

My plan of action is as follows:

1. I've measured on my mate Dean's '69 Ghia the distance between the lower edge of the door and the lower edge of his trim - both upper and lower pieces. We didn't want to pry the trim off to get at the holes underneath because that might damage the trim or clips and destroy the waterproofing.
2. The dimensions I found are as follows: (a) lower edge of door to lower edge of first trim piece - 10.3cm (b) lower edge of door to lower edge of upper door trim - 12.8cm. (In inches, 4 and 1/8 and 4 and 5/8 respectively)
3. I deduce that the hole centres must therefore be half the width of the trim higher, the trim being 1cm wide. So 10.8 and 13.8 cm respectively from the lower edge of the door.
4. Measuring along the length of the trim and starting from the front edge of the door, the holes appear to be spaced at the following intervals: 2.5cm - 17.5 - 34 - 49 - 65 - 78 - 88 - and 98cm. (In inches, 1 - 7.5 - 13.5 - 19.25 - 25.5 - 30.5 - 34.5 and 38.5 inches respectively)

What bugs me is this: The intervals are uneven. I would have expected equal distances between the holes with the front and rear ones appropriately placed near the ends. So what have I missed here?

5. I intend to use a chalk line to mark the lines on the door so that they (the lines) will extend to the front and rear guards as well. The trim pieces there are short and I'll do 2 holes each, near the ends of the trim.
6. I intend to waterproof the holes by pinching "dum-dum putty" (3M Strip Caulk?) over the clips on the inside.

Any advice and comments on my plan will be appreciated. Also confirmation - or correction of my measurements.

One more thing: Some members have commented that instead of drilling holes the trim could be fixed with 3M tape, thus avoiding waterproofing and rust issues. Has anyone actually done that with good results?
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have eliminated these trim strips, recently. I did notice, inside the door, what is covered in your #6...good idea.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69 GVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I measured my unpainted door, the holes are consistently 109mm and 134mm from the bottom edge, aside from the front two which are on the curved area and measure 100mm and 126mm from that curve. (Use a chalk line or long straight edge to keep them in line with the rest.)

Starting at the front the top hole is 30mm and the bottom is 35mm from the slanted edge. (Unlike the rest of the pairs, these two are not the same distance from the slanted front edge of the door.)

Second set is 185mm, then 340mm, 494mm, 655mm, 805mm and finally 962mm. Both the front and rear pairs of holes have notches in the door skin to make the thickness consistent with the rest of the holes.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

69 GVert wrote:
I measured my unpainted door, the holes are consistently 109mm and 134mm from the bottom edge, aside from the front two which are on the curved area and measure 100mm and 126mm from that curve. (Use a chalk line or long straight edge to keep them in line with the rest.)

Starting at the front the top hole is 30mm and the bottom is 35mm from the slanted edge. (Unlike the rest of the pairs, these two are not the same distance from the slanted front edge of the door.)

Second set is 185mm, then 340mm, 494mm, 655mm, 805mm and finally 962mm. Both the front and rear pairs of holes have notches in the door skin to make the thickness consistent with the rest of the holes.

Thank you very much for taking the time and making the effort to give me these measurements. I count 7 sets of holes (2 per set, with one hole for the top and one for the lower strip).
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your idea of snapping a chalk line is perfect.
You may be over engineering as far as leaking thru the holes. I have never noticed any rust lines coming the trim holes. I think doors rusted because cars were parked outside in the elements for years. Good bet you will take a little better care of this one.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
I think your idea of snapping a chalk line is perfect.
You may be over engineering as far as leaking thru the holes. I have never noticed any rust lines coming the trim holes. I think doors rusted because cars were parked outside in the elements for years. Good bet you will take a little better care of this one.

Hi Darrel, I've spoken to Phillip - I'm at the panelbeaters today - and he says instead of dum-dum putty he'll use urethane to seal the holes form the inside. So far so good. I'll post some photos later today to show progress with the marking of the holes - if we get there today.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Chris, keep at the good work!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: