Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

any reviews or thoughts for the Gowesty cab divider
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
theadventureneverends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:24 am    Post subject: any reviews or thoughts for the Gowesty cab divider Reply with quote

I noticed the GW cab divider is on sale this month, I did not know it existed until I saw the email today. When I do not use the factory front curtain and want a little stealth or quick privacy I generally just put a beach towel or mexican blanket across.

I am tempted to give the cab divider a try but wonder if I will really use it.

Does anyone use one? Any reviews?

Thank you.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this what your referring to?

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=23600&category_id=&category_parent_id=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll prolly pick one up.. I wondered what the snaps on the interior of my van were for... I'm assuming its this...
MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just use 2 spring clamps and whatever blanket is around.

The snaps on your van are originally for the front curtain
theadventureneverends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gowesty link that tjet provided is what I am referring to (thank you). It snaps in just aft of the front seats.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: any reviews or thoughts for the Gowesty cab divider Reply with quote

theadventureneverends wrote:
I noticed the GW cab divider is on sale this month, I did not know it existed until I saw the email today. When I do not use the factory front curtain and want a little stealth or quick privacy I generally just put a beach towel or mexican blanket across.

If you already have the factory front curtain can't you just use it by snapping the front snaps across behind the front seats and let the ends that normally wrap hang down? You might need a spring clamp in the middle to hold that up if there's too much slack for privacy.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fit in the GW pictures is not so "wonderful" as some of their other products. Another benefit would be to owners with dash AC. I imagine with the curtain installed the dash AC would freeze you out. A walk through would be nice. I may copy their idea for myself. Thank you for sharing.
noganav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the daytime I prefer to use a windshield screen so that the passenger seat can be turned around. Covercraft makes a nice one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GF3SQQ/ref=od_aui_detailpages02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When I was stealthing fulltime I would stuff a dark towel between the upper matresses at bedtime and leave the front half of the van curtainless. Curtains behind the front seats like that just scream stealth camping. You'd get busted for sure in SoCal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noganav wrote:
In the daytime I prefer to use a windshield screen so that the passenger seat can be turned around. Covercraft makes a nice one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GF3SQQ/ref=od_aui_detailpages02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When I was stealthing fulltime I would stuff a dark towel between the upper matresses at bedtime and leave the front half of the van curtainless. Curtains behind the front seats like that just scream stealth camping. You'd get busted for sure in SoCal.

Here are two much cooler (daytime) alternatives Wink Cool :

http://www.amazon.com/Plasticolor-003700R01-Star-A...windshield

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=3526&category_id=&category_parent_id=
noganav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is awesome!

I've got a bad feeling about this... Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link to the GW cab divider, it looks useful for privacy.

I tried putting the stock windshield curtain behind the cab. It hangs down too far in the middle, but an extra snap could be added, or a magnet could be used to make it fit tighter.

There are some situations where I would want to seal the cab divider to the roof, and have it go all the way to the floor, when camping in cold country, to block out the cold and reduce the size of the heated space in the sleeping area. The GW divider does not attach flush to the roof it has a gap, but snaps could be added to the roof maybe.. It does not seem to reach the floor though, so cold would still move from the cab into the sleeping area.

I use magnets on my B pillar to hang material in a way that I can still see out the rear view mirror when driving, but people can't see into the sleeping area.

So there are several scenarios that call for slightly different options
1. Privacy, the GW system works, so does a cloth or the stock windshield curtain, attached by magnets or with snaps added.
2. stealth, imo the GW system is less stealthy than a divider that hangs low enough to see out the rearview mirror, but not low enough for people to see into the sleeping area. Cops are good at spotting people sleeping in a van, they look at other things besides curtains.. such as condensation.
3. Heat, roof to floor coverage desired.

Here is another thread about dividers, with some pics
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...p;start=20
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our 16" Joker hightop had a cabin divider curtain stock from the factory.
You can see it in this photo:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The nice thing about the factory one is it runs in a track attached to the ceiling so there's no gap.
Loved it, and have been thinking about adding one to our Westy. It helps keep the sleeping area a little warmer and adds quick privacy when changing clothes.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
The nice thing about the factory one is it runs in a track attached to the ceiling so there's no gap...
It helps keep the sleeping area a little warmer and adds quick privacy when changing clothes.

Meow! Thanks for the great photo Smile

Total agreement on the no gap, full length divider being warmer..
BlueGrasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
noganav wrote:

Here are two much cooler (daytime) alternatives Wink Cool :

http://www.amazon.com/Plasticolor-003700R01-Star-A...windshield

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=3526&category_id=&category_parent_id=

Somebody posted that Star Wars sunshade here, and I had to have it!

Unfortunately, it's about two inches too short so it has a small gap on either side.

It's still friggin' awesome though, and works well in combination with my front curtain Very Happy
theadventureneverends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thank you for the quick replies and ideas. I did notice the fit in the ad photo seemed a little sloppy. I never thought about using my front curtain aft of the seats as well! I like the idea of that top track and all the way down.

Believe I am going to pass on it.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueGrasser wrote:

Somebody posted that Star Wars sunshade here, and I had to have it!

Unfortunately, it's about two inches too short so it has a small gap on either side.

It's still friggin' awesome though, and works well in combination with my front curtain Very Happy

I use BOTH of the sunshades I posted above (Star Wars and GW Eclipse)...

The GW's are mounted to the windshield and are ready anytime I want to just quickly pull them across AND they help take up the 2" gap you mentioned when I'm rockin' the SW shade.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago ..... 1971?, my Mom made a floor to ceiling curtain for my Dad's 70 Westy, not for privacy but for Winter heat retention in the Cab, helped to be not quite so cold going to work. He would prop an old Propane fired catalytic heater (burner looked like crushed cardboard) between the seats before he left for work.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cheap and easy mount for a curtain behind the front seats: Get one of those warning flags that mount on the R axle of a kids bicycle to alert cars. Cut (once, after measuring twice) the flexy fiberglass pole to arch against the headliner, with the ends tightly wedged against the walls of the flats above the windows and door. Use a colored bed sheet with a few safety pins to hang off the fiberglass pole. It can easily be moved back so that your curtain hangs right at the head of the bed, so the warmth stays in your sleeping area.
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the best version I've seen, and a lot of dough for something so basic, IMO.
Here is the one I designed and put into use end of 2012. Split in the middle for easy pass-through of my dogs (or myself), several patches of velcro to secure the split when closed although it naturally falls closed. It follows the ceiling contours and drops down to the battery box level. Snaps are located two on each side, three across the ceiling, taking place of screws at the back edge of the cockpit opening. Keeps lots of heat to the rear!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The $8 Harbor Freight movers blanket cut down to size with snaps added. The quilted fabric seems to keep
the heat in and blocks most if not all the light.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: