Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Freeway Flyer
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 7:11 pm    Post subject: Freeway Flyer Reply with quote

Statement: I am getting pretty sick of driving 55mph from Seattle to Vancouver, B.C. and back once a week. I have a bone stock '66 Beetle with a 1300cc motor. I can't eliminate the drive, and won't eliminate the car, but need to increase the speed.
Question 1: My understanding is that the transaxles from 1973 and later beetles are the same transaxles marketed as "Freeway Flyer's". True?
Question 2: If the above is true, and I obtain one of these transaxles, how difficult is it to take out the guts of the IRS, and put it in the case of my swingaxle? I'm confident with a wrench and a little time, but have never attempted this kind of task before. Any Advice?
Question 3: Should I give up on switching innards and just shell out the 600 bucks that Transform or CB wants for a Freeway Flyer?
rizzag
Now Wut?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 7:54 pm    Post subject: Freeway Flyer Reply with quote

i have a rancho pro street freeway flyer and love it. it has the 3.88 ring and pinion like the 73 and 74 bug tranny plus a .82 4th instead of the .89 which makes it even taller still. i can cruise at 80 mph at 3500 rpm. i also am running a porsche 912 generator pulley to overdrive the fan to make up for the gearing. i have had 3 of these trannys now (all rancho's) and love them. i could never go back to 55 after having one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 8:17 pm    Post subject: Freeway Flyer Reply with quote

I have been running a freeway flyer in my 63 Bug and have no problem running 80+ ,stopping is another story. I would shell out the money and get one built right the first time. Good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 9:14 pm    Post subject: Freeway Flyer Reply with quote

rizzag11, what size motor are you running??? My transmission is at the rebuilder's shop right now, and I'm going to call him tomorrow to figure out gearing for it. I like the 80 at 3500 RPM idea, but I'm pretty sure I'd need the motor to back up those speeds. Thanks.

Andrew
'58 Panel Bus
'60 European Beetle
'67 Deluxe Bus
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 11:03 pm    Post subject: Freeway Flyer Reply with quote

Tim, where did you get yours built? I want it done right the first time! Also, rizzag11, thanks for the tip, I'll call rancho tomorrow. By the way, anyone heard of a shop in SoCal called Transform? Good? Bad?
IndianaVWKid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 11:08 pm    Post subject: Freeway Flyer Reply with quote

Hey Man! I can't believe you're only getting 55 MPH you've got something wrong, besides the tranny! Could be clutch, that's my first guess...My buddies got a bone stock '65 beetle, and it'll go 65-70 all day....and gets like 36 MPG on the freeway...It's a beast for a 40HP...I couldn't believe it! But I did just put a freeway flyer in my bus(more necessary in a bus) Check the site, and the tech procedure.
www.geocities.com/indianavwkid
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 11:30 pm    Post subject: Freeway Flyer Reply with quote

Well, I could go faster, but I just don't want to push the motor that hard, it sounds like it's going to explode when I go over 60. It's not the clutch or some mechanical problem, I just want some lower revs when I'm at speed.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 6:24 pm    Post subject: Freeway Flyer Reply with quote

James, I've owned two '74 Beetles with the 3.875 ratio and it is sometimes called a "freeway flyer", however, that sometimes also indicates that a taller fourth gear has been installed. They cruise fine at 80-90 mph in my experience.

I would caution against buying from Transform...I ordered a replacement tranny many years ago for one of my '74s and they sent me a 4.125 and would not even listen to me afterwards or admit their mistake. I live in Alberta and it was a major problem dealing with them long distance.

Why don't you try California Import Parts in Langley B.C....they used to stock Rancho trannies and I've always gotten good service from them? Neil.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 12:59 am    Post subject: Freeway Flyer Reply with quote

transform builds a good tranny, I have used several and always had good quality and good customer service.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 7:01 am    Post subject: Freeway Flyer Reply with quote

I purchased one from KCR transmissions. The internals are good, but the drain plugs on the case they sent me were cross threaded and retapped and I wasn't too happy about that.But the plugs tighten down good and have held for 4 years. Good luck.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 1:09 pm    Post subject: Freeway Flyer Reply with quote

Is there any major disadvantage to running a low ratio tranny with a taller fourth gear? If not, why did it take VW until the Super Beetle to fit their own? I'm thinking of having my thing gearbox rebuilt -it's a swing-axle type with reduction gears- with a taller 4th gear. Has anyone else tried this? What were the results? I'd imagine a thing with stock suspension at 70+ MPH must be pretty hairy though!
ice baller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 3:06 pm    Post subject: Freeway Flyer Reply with quote

any web site where i can find info or purchase a transmission? Im looking for 1 step better than a freeway flyer, Where can i find these?website? thanks
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 4:19 am    Post subject: Freeway Flyer Reply with quote

Here are a couple of websites I've come across in relation to new/rebuilt transmissions.
www.bugtrans.com, e-mail [email protected]
Rancho have their own site - www.rancho.com(I think)
www.vwspeedshop.co.uk - suppliers of rancho 'boxes to the uk, very accessible site, wide variety and performance figures. I hope these help, Colm
Miklo
¡Chale!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Freeway Flyer Reply with quote

I thought I would revive this ancient thread instead of starting a new one... My questions is pretty much the same as what the PO originally asked.

I have a '66 Beetle with a stock trans and close to stock 1300cc motor.

From my understanding 73-79 transmissions are taller geared, 3.88 R&P.

If I obtain one of these transaxles, how difficult is it to take out the guts of the IRS, (or swapping axles) and putting them in the case of my swingaxle? I'm confident with a wrench and a little time, but have never attempted this kind of task before. Any Advice?[/quote]

Antelope Valley's Mobile Air-Cooled Guru

Dr OnHolliday wrote:
As I remember it, lowriding was not one of the criteria that Adolf gave to Dr. Porsche...
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a 67-68 core and have it built with a 1.22 third and a .82 fourth. I strongly do not think you can do this your self. And yes I build VW trans for a living

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a stock 1300 I would run a 67-68 swingaxle with a 4.12 R&P gear. You DO NOT have enough HP to turn the taller 3.88 R&P.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Freeway Flyer Reply with quote

VeeDubDoug wrote:
I thought I would revive this ancient thread instead of starting a new one... My questions is pretty much the same as what the PO originally asked.

I have a '66 Beetle with a stock trans and close to stock 1300cc motor.

From my understanding 73-79 transmissions are taller geared, 3.88 R&P.

If I obtain one of these transaxles, how difficult is it to take out the guts of the IRS, (or swapping axles) and putting them in the case of my swingaxle? I'm confident with a wrench and a little time, but have never attempted this kind of task before. Any Advice?

The 1300 engine does not need a taller third gear. They can spin up to 4500 perfectly happy in stock form. Fourth is the same overall ratio with most VW trans no matter if they have a 4.12 or 3.88.
I think you and the OP need a HAT that has flaps that cover your ears if the noise is bothering you or maybe a tune-up, or both.

I do not know if yours has a 4.12 or 4.375 final dive, but it may have the lower one to match the little engine, and you might swap it for the higher one, which is common in cars of similar year.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freeway flier + stock motor =

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
freeway flier + stock motor =

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Personally, I feel you should be able to run any load at almost any RPM without overheating. If it overheats it's got cooling problems or tuning problems. But what do I know.
Miklo
¡Chale!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! You know, i never realized early transmissions had a lower r&p... I think the 4.12 may get me to where I need to be.

I did a doghouse oil cooler/fanshroud swap on the 1300sp. I also added a Bosch 019 i just rebuilt as well. She's a little beast. She accelerates easily to 55-60mph... But i know she can do more! Once she's over 3000rpm nothing slows her down. I can drive up the 14 fwy without a bog.

I am also running 205/60'S in the rear... I may look into a taller tire.

Antelope Valley's Mobile Air-Cooled Guru

Dr OnHolliday wrote:
As I remember it, lowriding was not one of the criteria that Adolf gave to Dr. Porsche...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: