Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Okrasa 1300 Build Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
john_boy1959
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: 36hp rebuild Reply with quote

Hi Steven, John from Australia. I'm in the early stages of my 36hp rebuild (still cleaning and sorting everything) and noticed from this thread how neat your nuts and bolts look! Are they new parts or the originals which have been cleaned up. If the latter, what was your method for getting the bolts clean and black and the nuts/washers nice and silver!

thanks
John
MDKG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irvin wrote:
Did you manage to dyno this awesome motor since september ?

x2
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello.
As said, very nice work. Iīm especially envius on the case coating, as we canīt get that done around here.

1. Did you use Joeīs 270/320" cam ?
2. Looong time ago I built a 1380 cc single port engine. Heads were modified to 33/28,5 mm valve and a good deal of port work. I used a Scat C25 grind (because I had heard of a couple of british guys doing exactly that, and i was not interested in going trial & error at the time) 8,5 CR 32 mm PCI carbs and a 1200 4-1 header, 1 3/8"
I also made this oil cooling spiral as shown above due to that was how the Okrasa engines were back in the days. - now there could be plenty of reasons that I am not aware of or did not notice at the time, but the owner did experience a hot engine on long Autobahn rides. We thought that a convertible deck lid would cure the problem due to easier acces to air, but it didīnt help much. About a year later I was lucky to source an aluminum external cooler kit that was used as an external cooler on some 356és if my info is correct. It was designed to sit in front of the cool tin on the left side about level with the pushrod tubes, so that the engine would still be "one unit" The kit came with braces and everything and only needed minor mods to fit on the 30 hp type engine. Once we got this on and dropped the spiral we encountered the opposite problem, that the engine didīnt heat up during normal driving, not around here anyway. So we had to install a thermostat to get the temperature up in the safe range. But the Autobahn rides were no longer a problem. And the head temperatures dropped by a full 15 degrees C. too. Whether that was due to the removal of the spiral or the lower oil temperatures I couldnt say. But it did make a difference.

T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Okrasa Premium Member
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp rebuild Reply with quote

john_boy1959 wrote:
Hi Steven, John from Australia. I'm in the early stages of my 36hp rebuild (still cleaning and sorting everything) and noticed from this thread how neat your nuts and bolts look! Are they new parts or the originals which have been cleaned up. If the latter, what was your method for getting the bolts clean and black and the nuts/washers nice and silver!

thanks
John

Hi John......

The head studs, rocker arm assemblies have been Black Oxide coated and the case perimeter nuts / bolts are original and have been clear cadmium plated.
For the best results, I always glass bead all the steel parts BEFORE I send 'em in for plating. Cheers. Mr. Okrasa Cool

See my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/okrasa/

1959 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe / Bamboo-Green / Denzel 1300cc / OG. owner, paint Wink

Denzel engine running. See this link: https://youtu.be/DgUlsQDTXTE

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
piledriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What coating was used on the case?
paint or something more interesting?

Beautiful work.
Mr. Okrasa Premium Member
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

piledriver wrote:
What coating was used on the case?
paint or something more interesting?

Beautiful work.

Thanks for the kind words........ Wink

In my 40+ years experience and to the best of my knowledge, painting a magnesium engine block is NOT recommended.
Doing this actually cuts the engine's lifespan IMMEDIATELY! Paint "seals" the magnesium's pours and does not allow it
to "breathe" sorta speak. It retains heat and will literally cause the engine to cook itself to a premature death.

This is what I do below:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=587241

See my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/okrasa/

1959 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe / Bamboo-Green / Denzel 1300cc / OG. owner, paint Wink

Denzel engine running. See this link: https://youtu.be/DgUlsQDTXTE

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: