Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What about an emphasis on the 1200cc/40 hp motor.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way to really know for sure is to remove a head and measure a cylinder diameter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Howard Sanson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Us 40 hp people are a breed all to yourselves. Because once you have had a good running 40 hp not much can replace the little peep in its step ,yes 40hp are a force to be dealt with for the gas war price and dependablity? Razz
btrapr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are the numbers or identifiers for 64mm cranks?

Last edited by btrapr on Wed May 18, 2011 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=308441& Reply with quote

Machine 7 in the U.K. sells three different sets of 1200 cylinders and pistons.

Barrel & Piston Set, 77mm, 1200cc 55-60 020.600.05

Barrel & Piston Set, 77mm, 87mm Barrel, 20mm pin, 1200cc 61-69 and 78- 020.600.10

Barrel & Piston Set, 77mm, 90mm Barrel, 20mm pin, 1200cc 70-77 020.600.20

Would the last set possibly be for a 1600 case and heads???
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read that in later years they changed the D-block to be the same as the 1600 as far as the cylinder openings were concerned, and used thicker cylinders for it.

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=308441& Reply with quote

Danpa wrote:
Barrel & Piston Set, 77mm, 90mm Barrel, 20mm pin, 1200cc 70-77 020.600.20

Does anyone sell these here in the US? I would think that these would be the thickest cylinders out there. I wonder if they have problems shedding the heat being that thick.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of them being available in the US. Probably very very little demand for them. I'd bet there would be more demand for an affordable 40HP dual carb manifold/linkage kit.
williamdenson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the piston/barrel issue,, I remember several years ago talking to some formula V guys,,, they were using new aluminum cases and using an o-ring around the barrel to center and seal the larger opening in the case. They mentioned it casually as a standard process.

I don't know what o-ring they used, or if it was legal in their formula V rules,, but I've always remembered this as I thought about trying it..

Like the rest of you,, we love our 40s and use them whenever possible, even off-road they behave so well..

Bill
aleshoppes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject: 69 bus / 40 horse motor Reply with quote

I do hope this thread is still monitored by you guys that seem to be very passionate about the use of the 40 horse motor. I have read the entire thread and even looked into the gentleman referenced in the early postings who still seems to make build kits of some sort for these motors.

I even learned a great deal so thank you.. Now onto my question/observation

I have a 69 transporter when I bought it thre was an engine not installed located in the rear seating area and it turns out the motor is an old 40 horse. The engine is mostly complete despite the starter, fly wheel and a few other parts but other than that complete from what I can tell. I have posted this in other threads but had no real luck and every shop I speak to gives kinda the same answer.

I am told the 40 horse is nothing more than a boat anchor and I am then told that I need to build a 1776 or something like that, the same telling me this are the same ones that would profit from building this bigger "better" motor.. At first I took this information as gospel and then found this thread and began my own research.

I know it was around 61 or 62 that the busses stopped using the 40 horse motor and at that time the buses weighed in around 2300lbs before that the buses had an even less horse power motor. I also know that some time in the early 70's the buses went on with an even more powerful motor than the 1600.

So I found my self here. my bus weighs just over 2700 pounds and I have this 40 horse motor and I live in s florida so no hills or the like.. Can I make this motor work in my bus. If so do I need to do what little build up is available? Or is it true that I shouldn't even attempt it?

Any help on this would be great.. I am hoping to hear from some of you 40 horse guys.

I know I will need to get 12 volt stuff and have some grinding done to the bell housing but again will this motor run my bus?

Please help.
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your gearbox is already clearenced for 12v so no grinding needed.
you should be able to drive the car with a 40hp, but it will be very slow, possibly dangerously slow. if it was an empty panel not a westy, you might have better luck. i have no idea about the gearing in a bus, but you might have trouble pulling 4th gear full stop.

modified early motors are awesome, but as a general rule, it is cheaper to get power out of a 1600+ dp based motor. (getting a 40hp to even make as much power as a stock 1600 would cost $$$)
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The use of a 40hp engine in the earlier Buses is helped greatly by the reduction box rear axles.

You get more power at the lower end while sacrificing top speed.

Even then it's sort of slow.

In your '69 you do not have reduction boxes and the transmission gearing itself is different too.

I believe it would be VERY slow, probably dangerously so.
You would also probably end up bogging down the engine and damaging it or at least shortening it's life.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Matthew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1200 40hp is a great engine in the right application. Unfortunately, a bay window bus is not the right application. That bus uses a rear hanger bar to support the engine and transmission. If you have a 60s model 40 hp engine there are no provisions to mount that bar. Your 40hp would use the tiny 6mm oil pump studs so the adapter plate to mount the bar is out of the question too.

You would be much better off locating a 1600 with the bosses in the case to mount the engine hanger.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X4 - as much as I love my big bore 1200 in my 65 bug, I would never consider putting one in a bus unless I was only driving it off a trailer and onto a car show field. Plus 1600 based engines and parts are very plentiful. If your 1200 is usable, you should be able to sell it.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dragstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject: Will this work? Reply with quote

I was thinking of rebuilding my '64 bug's 40 horse with the 83 P/Cs, something like an Engle 100, headers, and a 2110 Holley on a split plenum SP manifold. I got the carb and manifold from my neighbor, (it wasn't used for long, looks good!), and you know how you get about stuff you got for free.........I'm obsessed with wanting to see if I can make it work.

Is the carb too big for the motor I'm thinking of?

Thanks
dames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: What about an emphasis on the 1200cc/40 hp motor. Reply with quote

What a great thread. Today I removed the engine from my 67. It's been off the road since 1988, it has plenty of oil in it but does not turn by hand. I plan to have it stripped down by someone more knowledgeable than me and if the case is still good I will start collecting quality parts for a stock rebuild.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Victor Frisbee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What about an emphasis on the 1200cc/40 hp motor. Reply with quote

dames wrote:
What a great thread. Today I removed the engine from my 67. It's been off the road since 1988, it has plenty of oil in it but does not turn by hand. I plan to have it stripped down by someone more knowledgeable than me and if the case is still good I will start collecting quality parts for a stock rebuild.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Good for you! I too and rebuilding a ‘period’ correct 40hp engine (with Judson supercharger) for my 1965 convertible.

"Every day, in every way, I'm getting better and better" - Émile Coué de Châtaigneraie
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: