Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1980 Volkswagen Deluxe 4 Door Manual Rabbit
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chevy432
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject: 1980 Volkswagen Deluxe 4 Door Manual Rabbit Reply with quote

Got a couple questions for all you VW fanatics. Im 17 years old and recently purchased a 1980 volkswagen rabbit and i love it. Its the coolest car i have ever driven and seen. I bought the car from an original owner so it seems to be in very good condition when comparing it to cars my friends are looking at buying right now. Anyways i do have a few things i need to do work on (as i was told by the guy i bought it off of). One problem is that when i drive into town to go into a store, when i come back out after shopping my car does not want to start. It burbles and shuts off unless i give a little gas and rev it up and then it is fine from there. My next problem ,as i have been reading, seems to be my V-Belt. When downshifting into third or second or first as i let the clutch out the car begins to squeal and only after a period of time does the squealing stop. I don't know if i should just buy new belt or look at tightening the one on the car. My next problem isn't that crazy but the little jet thingy that sprays your windshield fluid onto your windshield is heavily spraying out of the right side and about half as hard on the right. Ive tried using a pin to clean it but i think i need to take it apart and really clean it out as something seems to be restricting the spraying. My FINAL problem is my turn signal. I had my car stereo installed yesterday and now my turn signal doesn't flash. The turn signal light comes on in my dashboard but it is solid not flashing. I think the people mis connected a wire or something. Anyways sorry for this being such a long message but i wanted to describe everything as best as possible.

Thanks, Trevor!
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first "tool" is find a Bently Manual for the car, has more than enough info in it for you to service the car.

The hot start issue for this car is generally caused by a worn/faulty Warmup Regulator(WUR) aka control pressure regulator. It's the thing with 2 fuel lines and an electrical connector on the engine block down by the oil filter stand. You can only get them reman'd now and chances are that will fix the hot start issue till it starts to go bad. My last reman'd one lasted 3-5years.

Get a new belt and adjust it according to the specs in the manual I mentioned in first sentence.

Clean out nozzles and check hoses for leaks at connections.

For turn signals, check connections anywhere the stereo installers were. Better yet, have them fix it, since they broke it.
Chevy432
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually i did already buy a Bently manual but i couldn't figure out what you described as the WUR. I will look at buying a new one.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is fuel injected, isn't it?
Chevy432
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is fuel injected. I just purchased an Alternator V Belt and then i realized i told the guy at Canadian tire my car was air-conditioned. Will the belt be a different size for non air-conditioning and air-conditioning?
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think so.
Shadd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be CIS basic (no lambda feedback) Which can be a really great/reliable system once you get to know it well.

If you're going to be tackling the fuel system problems yourself you should buy this book.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=9780837603001
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Its printed by Bentley publishers to give much more in-depth info on diagnosing and repairing your fuel system.

You may also want to invest in one of these kits.

http://www.amazon.com/Tool-Aid-33865-K-Jetronic-Injection/dp/B0002SR5NU

Also grab a long reach 5mm allen like this from just about any tool supplier.

And if you ever need to pull the injectors (the seals commonly go bad causing vac leaks.) You will need an injector puller google tool number 1123/4

There is a bunch of really great info online as well.
zuhaelter_82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadd wrote:

Once you use that long allen to mess with your idle speed and mixture setting without an analyzer/sniffer, you will need this special tool.

Laughing
B5 V6 GLS
B7 TDI Passat SE
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The actual allen for adjusting the mixture is a 3mm I believe.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: