Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Conelrad
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject: Conelrad Reply with quote

do you remember conelrad? It stood for control of electromagnetic radiation and was also known as the key station system. It was an arrangement whereby the government could communicate by radio with the civilian population of the United States of America in the event of nuclear war. Some of you may recall a period of time known as the Cold War. Conelrad was intended not only to provide an emergency information system for the public , but simultaneously prevent the enemy from using radio signals to home in on cities. From 1953 to 1963 federal law said every radio manufactured in the U.S.A. Had to have a conelrad emblem on the dial. To signify where the emergency station was. The conelrad rad emblem looks like a circle with a triangle inside and is located between AM band 550 and 700. Another existed between 1200 and 1400. Perhaps this is useless information now but next time you see that old radio you'll know what that symbol means . Duck and cover everyone.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be confused with the sat night live skit
Col. Angus
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another sign of those times you don't see any more:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a time to live in

Link

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up 14 miles from the Empire State Building which was considered ground zero.

If there was an attack, I wouldn't of had time to duck and kiss my ass goodbye.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, we had duck and cover drills, films about how to survive in your bomb shelter. Last Friday of each month at 10AM the air raid sirens were tested.

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2012/10/air_raid_sirens.php

And now we have this site for nostalgia:

http://www.conelrad.com/index.php

Last edited by KTPhil on Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ratt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Yeah, we had duck and cover drills, films about how to survive in your bomb shelter. Last Friday at 10AM the air raid sirens were tested.

And right now you live with in 30 miles of about 10 Nuclear reactors(ok so maybe 150 miles, I thought you were closer to San Diego, but still). I couldnt imagine living back in the 50's with the wide spread fear.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ratt wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
Yeah, we had duck and cover drills, films about how to survive in your bomb shelter. Last Friday at 10AM the air raid sirens were tested.

And right now you live with in 30 miles of about 10 Nuclear reactors(ok so maybe 150 miles, I thought you were closer to San Diego, but still). I couldnt imagine living back in the 50's with the wide spread fear.

Oh yes you could. Same thing is going on today. The people to be feared has just been changed from the USSR to a generic terrorist.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Conelrad Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
The conelrad rad emblem looks like a circle with a triangle inside and is located between AM band 550 and 700. Another existed between 1200 and 1400.

I thought all Conelrad symbols on radios were at 640 and 1240 like in this image.

In Los Angeles, 640 is 50,000 watt KFI.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
I grew up 14 miles from the Empire State Building which was considered ground zero.

If there was an attack, I wouldn't of had time to duck and kiss my ass goodbye.

I grew up during the cold war next to Earl Ammunition Depot in NJ..... We figured it was probably on the first hit list if we were attacked! We'd be gone quickly!

Also had Air Raid drills and huddled in the school basement with our coats over our heads........ Now THAT is a nuclear deterrent! 1950’s Wool!

Then we had a NIKE base down the street." They would keep us safe I'm sure.........

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

50's, hi school, best time area ever, we ignored those drills, who shoots at mountains anyway. Those Nike sites (Pittsburgh 3yrs ( actually pretty deadly, especially the Hercules version, 24 hr duty got exciting most times.Trade now 4 then anyday.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing back this thread because of something else I saw: is the presence of the conelrad triangles on a radio dial a reliable indicator that the radio was built between 1953 and 1963? Or did the triangles linger on past 1963? I'm wondering because my Blaupunkt Frankfurt has those triangles and it would help to date the radio.

Edit: Looking around the internet it appears Conelrad was replaced by the Emergency Broadcasting System in 1963 so it would seem reasonable to assume radio makers would have dropped the triangles after 1963.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Junkyardjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived within 3-4 miles of the runway of a SAC base near Rome, NY called Griffiss AFB, home of the 416th BMW. Lots of B-52's, KC-135's & F-106's, and a backup base to NORAD. Long range bomber bases were sure one of the 1st to go, and with the addition of NEADS (northeast air defense sector) to complement NORAD made it even a bigger target. I would have been lucky to even hear a noise before I went "POOF!" Now the bomb wing is gone,along with the 49th FIS; the base is now an industrial park & all that's left is NEADS. In my opinion that's still a strategic target; lots of people don't realize that!
After Conelrad was replaced by the EBS, EBS was replaced by the EAS (emergency alert system).
2022 Subaru Outback Limited XT in crystal white pearl
2022 Subaru Outback Limited XT in cinnamon brown pearl

Last edited by Junkyardjockey on Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:18 am; edited 1 time in total
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad built a "bomb shelter" underneath our house - really it was just a place dug out underneath the house. He worked for DuPont which was long known as "the bomb plant" where they processed plutonium.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the good old days. Gives the phrase Burning Man a whole new old meaning.
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under my grade school there's an abandoned fallout shelter from way way back. It's basically huge round tunnels. To this day I hear it's pretty in tact, though last time I actually saw it was like 1995. Even the shower stalls and kitchen (etc.) were still there.
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
Under my grade school there's an abandoned fallout shelter from way way back. It's basically huge round tunnels. To this day I hear it's pretty in tact, though last time I actually saw it was like 1995. Even the shower stalls and kitchen (etc.) were still there.
Yes! We used to go to the Nike site in socal where we lived, it was an odd place. Like missile silos all filled in with dirt but you could get inside and trip out on the place.
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
Bringing back this thread because of something else I saw: is the presence of the conelrad triangles on a radio dial a reliable indicator that the radio was built between 1953 and 1963? Or did the triangles linger on past 1963? I'm wondering because my Blaupunkt Frankfurt has those triangles and it would help to date the radio.

Edit: Looking around the internet it appears Conelrad was replaced by the Emergency Broadcasting System in 1963 so it would seem reasonable to assume radio makers would have dropped the triangles after 1963.

Many radios (car, home, portable) carried those symbols for many years, probably just due to the economics of using old inventory and designs until a major restyling or model change. I believe the '65 Dodge Polara I grew up with had them. Portable "transistor radios," as we called this magically small technology when it was new and revolutionary, were sold with the CD markings into the mid to late 1960s at least.
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blaupunkt X-series radios (1966-67) made for the U.S. market still had the CONELRAD symbols on the dial.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: