Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

we be jambing...painting door jambs...need advice
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: we be jambing...painting door jambs...need advice Reply with quote

alright, a couple questions on preping and painting door jambs...

1.) How clean do they need to be?...i've removed the glue (this sucked) and sanded them somewhat smooth, but they are not great...was thinking a little masterseries MCU in the rusty areas wouldn't hurt either...is this all okay? i know you can never be too clean, but i've sanded down to bare metal in places and still have a rough finish in these dark recesses of my body...plus it all gets hidden, which makes me wonder if i'm wasting my time...

2.) going with dupont centari w/ hardner, i need to mask the outside of the body where? right where the door skins meet the body panel, a little to the inside of the body panel seam (some overspray will go in these areas when i paint the body with the doors on, right?)...a little out side the door panel seam and sand it down abit?...

3.)quick paint order...i want to paint interior, then door jambs, and then exterior....do i do it in this order or do i paint the door jambs first? is it okay if weeks pass between each step in my paint process or should it all be done in a relatively short time period?...how short a time period, if this is the case?....

4.) on the doors, i plan to paint the interior sides and jamb area before remounting them for exterior painting...does this sound like the right way to do it?...

5.) i've been getting everything clean and ready for paint on the interior and want to get it painted/protected, then rehang the doors, then straighten the exterior metal (doing this all along the way, really) and prep it for paint...does this all sound logical?...

thanks for the help, mark

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
carmangary
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything you are planning sounds about the same as I did my Ghia. Mine turned out just fine so yours should too. When masking the jambs you can use some folded back masking tape with the folded edge where you will paint up to. The fold prevents the paint from making a hard line. If you mask at a corner or edge, the line will be the least noticeable. Whatever line does form you can gently sand out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
bmtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on how sweet a job you want, you could paint the doors inside and out at the same time by hanging them up. Then you can paint the interior when you paint the exterior, eliminating tape lines all together. As for how clean it has to be, thats a personal preferance. How nice do you want it.
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this is my first paint job...

i don't want to feel too rushed trying to paint the whole bus at once...i'm gonna mess up and i'm gonna have mistakes to fix...i'm not gonna kid myself there...but i have found i make twice as many mistakes if i feel rushed...and with a 10 minute flash time, i know i am going to feel rushed...so it will be painted over several days...

being that it is a bus, i'm not even sure how i'm gonna paint the whole floor sections at one time...probably have to do the non cargo doorside half, 2-3 coats....then the other half 2-3 coats...

was also planning on doing the roof last, maybe even a different day than the rest of the exterior body (depending on how irritated i am)...it's a poptop, so i will be able to stand out of the little hole and spray the roof very easily if the cargo floor paint has cured enough for me to stand on (overnight?)...figured i could mask the very outside edge of the body where it meets the roof gutters then paint the roof gutters and roof and no one would ever know, since my tape seam is very hidden at that place

hiding the lines on the doors will be easy...since the window frames bolt onto the topside and the bottom side and edges have a nice channel/sheet metal edge all around them....

i really don't want visible tape lines anywhere (or fish eyes, or drips, or orange peel, etc.) but i know that this is near impossible for a first timer...

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
bmtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not impossible. Your on the right track, thinking things out well. Its a process that takes time so you have to be patient and take your time,don't rush it or thats what you'll end up with, a rushed half assed job. As for how much to paint at one time, its your decision as to how confident you feel, but, its not hard to paint the whole inside excluding the jambs, tape the inside off, paint the outside including the jambs. Then the doors ect.. I never have done a bus so its hard to give advice, as I can't see what your facing. But like I said take your time and don't rush and do it right the first time. Good luck.
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trying to remember here...but i think you can get tape on fresh dupont centari pretty quickly (maybe with an hour, if my memory serves me correctly)...so your process is starting to make more sense to me BMTX...paint interior in the late morning (need to get decent temps), chill out a little bit and paint the exterior in the early afternoon...

are there advantages to doing it all on one day?...weather out here is pretty dry and uniform...so not too concerned with color matching issues due to weather (plus i'm doing vw pearlwhite...an easy color)...

it would be easier on the noses of my neighbors...but i'm not too worried about them bitching...they're all insiders or gearheads and prevailing winds will carry my odors across a 50 acre field behind my house before hitting any other residents...and it is always windy...

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
carmangary
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds risky and might end up being a rush job. Masking, cleanup, etc, if done right is very time consuming. You might be biting off more than you can chew by trying to do it all in one day.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
bmtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically you could do the interior, and finish the rest later. Not on the same day if its too much. Concentrate on one thing at a time and make it good. You could do all the jambs and assemble the doors and decklid, and paint it that way. Or like the way mentioned earlier with the doors off. Depending on the amount of pearl in your base, it might be better to paint the exterior all together so that the pearl will match.
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fyi...vw "pearl white" (L87, i think) has no pearl additive in it...it's just a color name...a bit misleading...i'm going no frills here just like vw did 40 years ago...thanks for your guys's help...think i will make a weekend of it...

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
bmtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wondered. I was'nt sure if you were going original or with a new VW color. The new colors seem to have a lot of pearl additives. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.
JoelH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when painting or doing body work remember this SINGLE sentence...

it's only as good as good as the prepwork.

later,
Joel

'60 DD SWR Panel
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2522353#2522353

'62 Gulf Blue Ragtop Bug
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=420720&highlight=

'60 Black RHD Beetle
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6478591#6478591

1965 Sea Sand L568 Notchback
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8307805#8307805
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: