Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where are my people on the S. OR/ N. CA coast?
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chiefpete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject: Where are my people on the S. OR/ N. CA coast? Reply with quote

Hello there,

I'm currently living in my Westfalia on the Pacific coast near Brookings, taking advantage of Oregon's Banana Belt for the winter. It's my second year doing so and I love it. But this year I have the predicament where I need to drop my tranny to put in a rebuilt one, and it's looking like the parking I enjoy have is probably not going to work out for the job.

Who are you? Where are you? Are you out there, nearby? If anyone has a safe, off-road place to park and an extra hand to help get this transmission swapped out, I can offer valuable work trade and super good van karma. I am normally extremely self-sufficient but would accept a little help for this one.

PS Thanks for all your posts they helped me enormously when I put in new heads by myself last summer. Smile

Caroline, and
"Chief Pete" 83.5 Westfalia
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could probably help you with a transmission swap near Eugene. I have a carport,jacks,tools etc we can use if you can drive it up here & are ready to do the swap?
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chiefpete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
I could probably help you with a transmission swap near Eugene. I have a carport,jacks,tools etc we can use if you can drive it up here & are ready to do the swap?

Thank you so very much Mike, I really appreciate your offer, but I'm really looking to stay very close to the OR/CA border on the sea.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy or rent a decent floor jack & do it yourself. It's your home & transportation, so get greasy when needed! Hire a neighbor kid to help you with the engine/transmission.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I wasnt 500 miles away with a bum arm I could help.

It's a watercooled Vanagon? And there are two of you? Get out your Bentley manual. One of the easier "big" jobs you can do. The motor stays in, just the transaxle comes out, it's not like the old T2 where you have to take them both out to service either.

Floor jack (as Mike says), two jack stands (blocks under the wheels with the emergency brake on, too), a sheet of plywood and about 40 square feet of level ground and you are set. Start after dinner. You will be surprised when an hour, hour and a half after you start your transaxle is sitting on the ground....that is, unless bolts are seized up. Check to see what style are used in your CV axles...they may be big hex heads, or splined.

Put it all back down on the ground overnight so you dont have to sleep on a tilt and you could finish it the next day. I recommend a clutch, P/P, TO bearing and front main seal at the same time, which should only add an hour or so with proper tools. Skip the front main if you dont have the proper tools (huge socket for flywheel gland nut).

There is always a chance that you can encounter unanticipated hurdles such as seized or rusty hardware. Since you are in a coastal environment these problems are likely, especially if you were ever foolish enough to drive it in saltwater on a beach. Attractive idea, but not a good one if you ever plan on working on your car.

Dollars and/or a willingness to travel rather than asking people to come to you or finding a kind soul in the surrounding area of Brookings will probably increase the numbers willing and able to help. Good luck with your project.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK....

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say something that may not be well received by the OP.

You are welcome in these forums and you will find that the level of help, advice and even gifts of parts and supplies is amazing at times!

But..... You signed up back in May seeking Help / Advice because your wheel fell off.
Many posted guidance for you and I can only assume it worked out? You Never came back and said.... "Thanks" or in any way let us know what you ended up doing. You got what you wanted and Just left us all hanging......... you went on with your life living free.

You Never became a part of the Vanagon Community here, you never shared any repair tricks you've learned, never posted a photo of your van.......... You've contributed Absolutely nothing.

Now months later you need a major repair and you again need help. What do you do? You remember your log on info and come asking where your "people are"?

What does that even mean?
How would I know who "your" people are?
you've never identified yourself to us or allowed us to get to know you in any way what so ever.

I know where MY people are, a brother in CC for example with a three car garage for one, and relatives of his wife spread thoughout the entire Nor Cal / Southern Oregon region....... Been there Centuries longer than any White man has been!

What am I saying? If you want help from a community any community ..... Become part of that community and communicate with them.

You are simply a Stranger looking for handouts with a proven record of never having said even a simple "Thank You".

Even at that you had a most kind offer from one of the very people that I'd go out of my way to help if he ever needed it....... but you turned that down flat! Too far to drive for free help!

Honestly, There are members on here that if they posted tomorrow that they need help and were stuck in CC..... I'd be on the phone with my Brother asking if he would be willing to help them for me.

Difference is, I know them..... Maybe only through this forum but we've built a relationship based on communication. There is a friendship that has been formed, not unlike the Pen Pals of old were, many of those Pen Pals often became friends for life ....... though they never met.

I know the area you are in quite well, having lived out there years ago.
I wish you luck with your repairs.
I Mean no ill will towards you, but I cannot ask my brother to assit someone that I've no clue about.

Are you the local rapist / child abuser and he must fear for his wife and children?
A Thief?
Maybe just the Simple scum of society?

I just don't know......

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beside DJkeev's brother, there is another guy in Crescent City, 18 miles south of the NorCal/OR border.
But what the other Dave said rings true..want to be a part of the community? Then become part of the community, all take and no give ain't gonna get it. I am not trying to be mean, I'll help if I can. What year Bus? My garage is FULL, but if Dave's brother in Crescent City has the room, I'm sure I have all the required tools...

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
chiefpete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: For DJKeev Reply with quote

I only read part of your reply because man alive it's long... but sorry to say, I sometimes live my life offline as well. I did find help through the forum and thanked those people personally. I haven't checked back in on this one until now because I have very limited internet access.

I'm still new here and yes, lurking until I get a sense whether I belong or not. Thanks for making it clear that I might not belong. Anyway, sorry to have offended your sensibilities!
chiefpete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: An update on my Samba mess Reply with quote

Sorry to have not replied to everyone else on this forum. I appreciate you trying to help.

I was mostly trying to find out if there were any other Vanagon owners, especially van dwellers, in the area so I could team up, get tips, possibly change parking spots. I'm a lady living in my van and do my work myself (so far cylinder heads and a transmission). But as you probably all know, transaxles are heavy and a bit awkward. When I wrote the post my van was not driving well enough to move. Look at a map - Brookings is isolated. I changed it out where it sat. I had help pulling it down but put it back up myself.

I'm sad my post and lack of replies made it seem like I'm some loser lurker. As I myself expect to be paid or compensated (if at least with a beer or a meal) for work I do, I in turn always compensate others for work they do. And anyone who knows me will tell you that I am always grateful, and always happy to help.

Ultimately, really - the only people who replied to my post were not answering my question. None of them were anywhere nearby. So why should I feel sorry for not staying on top of my post if I get no relevant replies? Am I indebted to everyone who has enough time to write me things that A) are obvious and/or condescending B) don't pertain to my question at all or C) are rude and trolling?

No, I'm not.

But hey! Just dipped a toe in Samba waters, feeling pretty isolated and uncertain especially as a female amongst men, and am not sure I'm welcome posting here. So, TTFN
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of things:

I don't see where anybody here complained that you didn't post up replies.

I don't see anywhere that you indicated that you were the Caroline of "Caroline and Pete", so that you happen to be a woman had nothing to do with anyone's responses, or at least, not mine.

I don't see that that criticizing people (such as myself, I am assuming, since my response must have fallen into at least your "A" and/or "B" category, since I dont live in Brookings) is in keeping with the spirit of those you would like to consider "your people". Think on that one a bit.

I dont see how anyone here could extrapolate exactly what your needs were from your original post without also deciding that it was likely you were looking for a free clutch job. Indicating that you were stuck and the vehicle couldnt move in your original post would have clarified that and changed the likely responses.

I don't see what type of experience you expected. I am on several different types of car forums (as I own several different types of cars) and none are as friendly and welcoming as this site. That is not to be confused with "friendly and welcoming" however...it is simply a relative term. If you arent up for a little criticism or questioning of your motives and methods, ANY auto forum is not for you.

Looks like you got it handled, and during the PNW coastal winter no less. Not a small feat. Well done.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: