Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

voltage issues. need some help.
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pappabear1973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject: voltage issues. need some help. Reply with quote

Ok. So on my 1988 cabriolet i have a battery that tests good and a New alternator. Now when i am driving with the lights on and on high beam the charging needle sits right at twelve in the red/green hash marks. If i put them on low beam then the charging needle goes up to twelve and a half. That's all of the way in the grean. If i turn on a turn signal then the needle bounces in sync with the turn signal between charging and not charging. Again the alternator was replaced only a couple of months ago and the battery tests fine. So what would be causing this? Also my lights are dim as are my interior lights. Thanks.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First would be to check accuracy of gauge. Second is the wire you connect it to, depending upon loads on that particular wire, it could be effecting reading. Next would be to check and clean all pertinent connections into and out of the fuse panel, they tend to get leaked upon and that can cause issues.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: voltage issues. need some help. Reply with quote

Normal.

http://www.cabby-info.com/electrical.htm#Drop
http://www.cabby-info.com/electrical.htm#Lights
http://www.cabby-info.com/gauges.htm

Bottom line: don't rely on the VDO gauge (check voltage at the battery & alternator) and relay the headlights.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And be sure ALL grounds are tight and clean. Battery to chassis and chassis to motor.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: