Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Adding fuel to the fire!!
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think buses are over priced?
YES
60%
 60%  [ 42 ]
NO
39%
 39%  [ 27 ]
Total Votes : 69

bubba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:37 am    Post subject: Adding fuel to the fire!! Reply with quote

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/02/24/classic-...=obnetwork
Confused Fox news reporting on buses now..
curtain Bungee cords for SO23, 22, 33 ,34 ,35
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1587591
mg6770
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brother I'm ok with prices going way up just so long as I am on the inside looking out, so my answer is no.
Phil 4:13
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the end a guy says, "The Dateful Gred".
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Price is what someone is willing to pay. So price can never be too high if there is a willing buyer.

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
Oldnslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a comment that the least you should get for that price was the correct bumper trim for a deluxe (Samba).
bubba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you guys are saying.. But do you think is ruining the hobby?
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...prices ARE too high these days...sure am glad, I got my 6 busses 15 + years ago when they were $50 to $800...I would not be able to afford one now, that's for sure...
Picked this '62 SO33 up in 2007 for $50.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

...and this 1960 SC in 1995 for $350...

...or this in '60 DC 2005 for $250...

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think good examples are overpriced.
There are always going to be dreamers & you can't judge the market by their asking prices.

Project vehicles have a large price range.
To restore or fully refurbish, with some amount of metal & paintwork is expensive. The time spent reading and researching alone can really add up.
It's a hobby... but the time still has to be worth something.

For a guy that bought his bus 8+ years ago... wants to keep it & pick up another... yeah, it could seem expensive. To the rest... it's just 'normal'. Kind of like living in Wisconsin & visiting So Cal in the winter & hearing someone say "it's cold!!"(... at 62 degrees). It's all about what you're used to. Things are only expensive if you can't afford it or don't need/want it.... otherwise it's just market value.
M183kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubba wrote:

It's not ruining the hobby per se because hardcore bus owners are still extremely passionate about the product but what it is doing is making it harder to break into the hobby, especially for younger folk with less funds...my 1st bus was a '66 walk thru EZ camper, running great, for 2k 20 years ago (I was 20)...what's a 20 year old gonna spend these days for a similar bus, maybe 10k-12k...it's just more expensive to get into a very cool hobby...
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M183kombi wrote:
bubba wrote:

It's not ruining the hobby per se because hardcore bus owners are still extremely passionate about the product but what it is doing is making it harder to break into the hobby, especially for younger folk with less funds...my 1st bus was a '66 walk thru EZ camper, running great, for 2k 20 years ago (I was 20)...what's a 20 year old gonna spend these days for a similar bus, maybe 10k-12k...it's just more expensive to get into a very cool hobby...

They're gonna either get lucky or not be able to buy a bus until they are 30+. It's a shame. I would say they could get a bay but bay windows are getting expensive now too. At least bugs are still pretty affordable.
Dustin B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are certainly way overpriced. Don't get me wrong, I love VW's but if I didn't already have my bus rite now I wouldn't have one for a long time. I shouldn't have to be rich to afford what was originally designed as a throw away car. As a matter of fact a friend and I are going on a 1600 mile trip to pick up a bus that would have been cut up and scraped ten years ago. But on today's market it was a steel.

62 og paint L469 type 1
61 og paint L31 DD panel type 2
64 heilite viscount tent trailer
71 sears clamshell trailer

I <3 Brazilian busses

Original paint and patina extravaganza http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=187156
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bubba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M183kombi wrote:
bubba wrote:

Well.. That's one of the things that bother me.. Because everything is so expensive, younger people can not break into the fun of the hobby. I bought my first bus in 1989. It was a 66 Westy out of a shop I took my bug to get worked on when I wasn't experienced enough to handle myself. I payed 200 bucks. It took me two weeks of work to get it on the road.. And it was the start of a life time hobby that I feel others should experience..
Fast forward to today.. Someone would have to be luck to score a bus for under 4 grand in the shape of the bus I started with. List on here , it would be a 10k bus all day!
Now it seems like the hobby is all about the money, and not about the comrotery. But then again.. This is what America itself has turned into... Confused
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OVER PRICED...yes and no, depends on the situation.

YES....when I want to buy. Very Happy
No.....when I want to sell. Very Happy

...sure am glad to have relocated from NY to Ok. everything in life became much more reasonably priced, including vintage VWs, real estate and most everything else...

...bought a 1963 rag top bug in 1994 for $100 and traded it in 2010 for a 1956 DD panel. Then sold the panel in 2014 for $6100...to pay for a part of our son's collage tuition...the DD went to California, where all the big spenders are.

...acquired it right and was able to sell it right...am happy for those who get "good deal$" at either end of the transaction...a "good deal" is all relative.

At the "end of the road", very little of this will have made any difference and some day, VW prices will go the way of the Model T. When I was a kid, Ts were "untouchable" pricewise, like some VWs are now. Like, our son has no interest in the Ford Model T...eventually, our beloved VWs will be the same in future generations...they'll wonder what the big deal WAS, back in 2015...

1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubba wrote:
M183kombi wrote:
bubba wrote:

Well.. That's one of the things that bother me.. Because everything is so expensive, younger people can not break into the fun of the hobby. I bought my first bus in 1989. It was a 66 Westy out of a shop I took my bug to get worked on when I wasn't experienced enough to handle myself. I payed 200 bucks. It took me two weeks of work to get it on the road.. And it was the start of a life time hobby that I feel others should experience..
Fast forward to today.. Someone would have to be luck to score a bus for under 4 grand in the shape of the bus I started with. List on here , it would be a 10k bus all day!
Now it seems like the hobby is all about the money, and not about the comrotery. But then again.. This is what America itself has turned into... :?

Bubba, didn't you sell a bus a few years back for like $150,000 or something crazy? There are not many people who can claim that.......and it certainly couldn't have been done at '89 prices.
DonKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marklaken wrote:
Price is what someone is willing to pay. So price can never be too high if there is a willing buyer.

EXACTLY!!

Lots of people here on the Samba have a difficult time grasping the concepts of free-market capitalism and supply vs. demand.

When I was a kid growing up in Orange County during the 80's & 90's my buddies and I used to ride our bikes through neighborhoods and pick up 1960's original-paint bugs and buses for $200-$1000 all day long just peeking at the sides of houses and into open garages. ALL DAY LONG.

There is now nothing left….

Stuff does not come around like it used to…. not even close.

I remember RESTORED ovals selling in SoCal in the 1990's to Japan for $6K - $8K. EXTREMELY NICE RESTORATIONS!! Hundreds upon hundreds of them were shipped away. Now people are going to Japan to buy VW's and export them back to USA & Europe. Things have gone full circle!!

What used to be common to us growing up is now EXTREMELY hard-to-find.

Hence, the supply vs. demand concept. We have an ever-shrinking supply combined with an ever-growing WORLDWIDE demand….. That, boys and girls, is the textbook recipe for ever-rising pricing.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonKombi wrote:
marklaken wrote:

EXACTLY!!

Lots of people here on the Samba have a difficult time grasping the concepts of free-market capitalism and supply vs. demand.

When I was a kid growing up in Orange County during the 80's & 90's my buddies and I used to ride our bikes through neighborhoods and pick up 1960's original-paint bugs and buses for $200-$1000 all day long just peeking at the sides of houses and into open garages. ALL DAY LONG.

There is now nothing left….

Stuff does not come around like it used to…. not even close.

I remember RESTORED ovals selling in SoCal in the 1990's to Japan for $6K - $8K. EXTREMELY NICE RESTORATIONS!! Hundreds upon hundreds of them were shipped away. Now people are going to Japan to buy VW's and export them back to USA & Europe. Things have gone full circle!!

What used to be common to us growing up is now EXTREMELY hard-to-find.

Hence, the supply vs. demand concept. We have an ever-shrinking supply combined with an ever-growing WORLDWIDE demand….. That, boys and girls, is the textbook recipe for ever-rising pricing.

Although, I hate to admit it, you are correct...

...40+ years ago, VWs were everywhere and cheap. I once read that one out of every 4 cars on the roads in the USA was a VW. I remember, once going into NYC and parking my '65 bug in Fort Lee, NJ to then take a public bus across the GW Bridge, to a subway and then to downtown, NYC and realized what most took for granted, at that time...that VWs filled the landscape...

Here's a pic I took of that landscape, in Fort Lee, NJ where many commuters parked...

Pic taken with a Kodak Brownie box camera with 12 exposure, b&w, 620 film:

...but many old VWs are still overpriced.
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

kenshapiro2002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prices aren't high or low. They simply are. It's not hard for young folks to break into "the hobby", just have to pick a car other than a classic split window bus (for example). There has never been a time in automotive history where there weren't hobby gates closed to those without the means. It's kind of a useless question anyway, because whatcha gonna do about it?

Looking for '67 Engine / Block HO 183xxx - HO 194xxx
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenshapiro2002 wrote:
Prices aren't high or low. They simply are. It's not hard for young folks to break into "the hobby", just have to pick a car other than a classic split window bus (for example). There has never been a time in automotive history where there weren't hobby gates closed to those without the means. It's kind of a useless question anyway, because whatcha gonna do about it?

...can't do much...you are correct also. Just fun to discuss...love all the valid points of view.
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

LJay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kids of today will just have to do what I did-i bought a 59'sc when I was about 22,I'm now 31,Im a mechanic so get a not too shabby wage over here in the UK but I ran a cheap lil Fiat and rather than buy some nasty pos new Hyundai and got a bank loan-spend £200 a month on Koreas finest or buy a 50 yr old commercial vehicle-no brainer to me! ,who the fuck needs air con and Bluetooth anyways!

I borrowed 6k and got a fairly solid project and did it up over a year,sold it bought a 60'dd and did the same again-now I've got a 54'dd project form of coarse but its mine,I didn't waste all my money on dope,drink,fancy clothes or phones like kids of today,I find most want everything handed on a plate, the new real bus kids on the block will find the cash.

I do feel buses are a bit expensive, I wish I had a few projects on hand to pass on on to young bus guys to give em a break because ive sacrificed a lot of time/cash an at least one girlfriend to"live the dream" Laughing

My build thread.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=742279
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted no. Mostly because I already have the two I want. Part of the game is finding them and having a good price result, rather than shopping for one and feeling wallet-hurt when there's a value gap. If I don't like the price, I simply move on.
Nobody ever held a gun to my head to buy anything other than alley sex.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: