Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

King Bee Headlight Buckets
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
56 manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:03 am    Post subject: King Bee Headlight Buckets Reply with quote

Somehow I never heard of these before today and I was wondering what everyone else out there thought of them? The old ones and the newer ones? I saw some pictures of some old 98-99 models with the oval King Bee tags on the tops of the buckets that looked real cool and best yet, they were made in good old Chicago, I wouldn't mind having some of them. Sadly the newer ones I'm seeing don't look as good as the older ones do, all chrome no stainless and they don't look as deep or maybe it's me.

I 'm getting ready to replace my old flat back 5'' buckets for some 7 inch ones and at this point I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for other than probably stainless, or maybe some good quality chrome ones if they actually exist.. What's everyone else out there using?
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pait of cheap Chinese 7 inch buckets,,, Crome is still good after 12 years but I keep them heavily waxed...

There is some stainless ones here...

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Search?query=headlight%20buckets&facet=GA_Sema_Part:Headlights

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dietz 820s which were made in New York were the traditional 7" dune buggy headlight. Originals can be found and restored or there are Chinese replicas.
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't looked in on his website for awhile, but Tom from TJ Customs had stainless headlight buckets.

I have some cheap ones on my buggy too. Chrome is fine, major failure points are the poorly machined detents for the headlight reflector glass, and poorly and thinly constructed mounting ring and hardware.
lostinbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought stainless King Bees about 20 years ago because the buckets are more shallow than the more conventional/average headlight buckets you see around. I find it hard to believe that you can't buy the stainless buckets anymore.
RIP Morgan

My photos
http://www.manxgallery.org/gallery/album92
56 manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lostinbaja wrote:
I bought stainless King Bees about 20 years ago because the buckets are more shallow than the more conventional/average headlight buckets you see around. I find it hard to believe that you can't buy the stainless buckets anymore.

I've found some new stainless buckets but not any stainless King Bees and as for the ones I do find they seem to be few and far between compared to the chrome ones, and of course they cost more.

The more I look at the old King Bees I realize they were in fact more shallow (like you mention) than they looked yesterday. All the same I wouldn't mind having some old stainless King Bee 98-99s with the oval tags. I haven't made my mind up yet.
56 manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
I have a pait of cheap Chinese 7 inch buckets,,, Crome is still good after 12 years but I keep them heavily waxed...

There is some stainless ones here...

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Search?query=headlight%20buckets&facet=GA_Sema_Part:Headlights

Dale

Dale,

Thanks for the link, but I'm about 24 hrs. ahead of you this time. I spent quite a while on speedway's site the other day and I decided that if I don't buy old King Bee's then that's probably where I'll get new ones, they got both a pretty good selection and good prices.
56 manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wythac wrote:
Haven't looked in on his website for awhile, but Tom from TJ Customs had stainless headlight buckets.

I have some cheap ones on my buggy too. Chrome is fine, major failure points are the poorly machined detents for the headlight reflector glass, and poorly and thinly constructed mounting ring and hardware.

I don't know if mine are exactly cheap but I don't care for the flat backs or the fact the wires hang out the bottom of the buckets and go through holes in the fiberglass.

I'm doing a little bit of body repairs and getting ready for new paint so it's my opportunity to replace the lights. Actually the lights are in good shape for perhaps 40 plus years old and they have little rust. I don't like the fact that they only have 5'' lights either.

While I'm on the computer this morning I'll go ahead and check out Tijuana I didn't know they had headlight buckets.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are 7", stainless and have the wires in the mount bolt

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Stainless-Steel-Deitz-Type-7-Inch-Headlight-Bucket,58822.html
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
These are 7", stainless and have the wires in the mount bolt

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Stainless-Steel-Deitz-Type-7-Inch-Headlight-Bucket,58822.html

I'm running those and they look nice.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: