Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Car Trailer boat winch size - How big do you need?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casting Timmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:51 am    Post subject: Car Trailer boat winch size - How big do you need? Reply with quote

I'm starting to look at car trailers and would like to get a manual winch for when the car doesn't run I can still load it easily.

I thought about an electric winch, but I don't plan to use the winch that much and would rather have something I know will work instead of finding out the battery is dead when I need it.

Can you post what kind of winch you use and how well it pulls a dead car on the trailer?

Also for people running flat bed trailers, how long are your ramps and do you have problems loading stock height or slightly lowered beetles?

I know some don't like the idea of trailers, but this is the only way I can get my wife and beetle to go to some car shows. Also I like the idea of taking it to the track and want to make sure I can bring in home if something goes wrong.

Thanks
Tim
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We pulled a full BMW with locked rear brake drum onto trailer with a 2000LB come a long... Not the best but it will work...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

IF its a clean roller it does not take a lot of energy to get car up on trailer... Any good quality hand winch should do it... Sort of like the idea of web strap (checking its load rating) over wire cable...

But in the end, I am considering something like a ATV 2500lb winch on a slip in mount so its removable... (vertical receiver socket at trailer front). At this time vertical receiver socket has spare tire holder in it... Also think about spare tire for trailer as most do not come with one...

IF using electric winch (ATV) just wire a #6 or #4 power lead off tow vehicle battery to rear and use Anderson connectors if you don't want to put battery on trailer, if you put battery on trailer you can also charge it while towing if you have proper 7 pin plug (rv style) on tow vehicle that supplies 12 volts "to trailer"... Same type of plug arrangement as if trailer has electric brakes... You did consider adding controller on tow vechile for trailer brakes....

For trailer ramps.... You can just use a 4 ft piece of 2x12 and raise end of trailer ramps up on 4x6 block and place extensions out behind the steel ramps.... Or you can get some really nice aluminum ramps up to about 8 feet long ($$$) and there is storage/lash down issues... Only problem we ever had loading and had to use ramp extensions was with really low FG buggy with deep sump on rear, something like 4.5 inches ground clearance... Sump wanted to hit ground when angles changes while loading...

Also make sure trailer has solid tie down rings as many trailer do not come with them.... Also ratchet tie down straps (4) one to each corner... And not those $5 1 inch ones for hardware store bargain bin... Good 2 inch ones that has about 3,000 working rating and a 10,000 burst/failure rating... Some states (like Calif.) require minimal number of ties downs on "load" in Calif its 4...

http://mrproducts.com/collections/tie-downs

Look at "Auto Tie Downs"..

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about your Bug. If you get a trailer get something big enough to haul a full sized car on. A hand winch needs to be large enough to load a full sized car onto the trailer. Trust me after you get a trailer your brother, cousin, or neighbor will need to barrow it to get their car, or tractor moved. get something that is rated at least 4000 Lbs.

GET a trailer with brakes.
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Don't worry about your Bug. If you get a trailer get something big enough to haul a full sized car on. A hand winch needs to be large enough to load a full sized car onto the trailer. Trust me after you get a trailer your brother, cousin, or neighbor will need to barrow it to get their car, or tractor moved. get something that is rated at least 4000 Lbs.

GET a trailer with brakes.

That's why a bug specific trailer is nice..."sorry brah, you car wont fit on my trailer. im only 5.5' between the fenders....bugs only...sorry...check with U haul"

I have a 2000lb winch and it works but is slow. I would get at least a 3000-4000...they are cheap at tractor supply. Also if your car is low, make sure your ramps are at least 6-6.5 feet long. Torsion axles are a plus too....rides smooooooth.

45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
Eaallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATV winches work great. You don't need one rated at the pound weight of the vehicle. You are pulling it, not dead lifting it. 2500-3000 lb winch will pull a full size onto a trailer. I put a cheap harbor freight one in my trailer and got the remote winch for it. It's priceless to be able to winch while being at the car to steer it in. If you are ever loading a car solo, think about how much work that saves

You have to remember something: Everybody pities the weak; Jealousy you have to earn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Casting Timmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely can go for the idea of a ATV winch, that sounds like it wouldn't be as hard for batteries either. I definitely want to do a trailer with brakes as I go to Eureka Springs most years, which is super hilly.

I flat towed my beetle there one year, and coming in at 2 in the morning I heated up my brakes bad with not being able to know where I was going or what was happening next.

I used to know a guy that lent his trailer out a lot, it always came back with something broken. So I'm not going to lend my trailer out to just anyone if at all.

Thanks everyone for the great tips!
Tim
Sweetee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Car Trailer boat winch size - How big do you need? Reply with quote

FYI!

I needed to transport my Bug over 100 miles and didn't want to drive. I have a 7x14 enclosed Wells Cargo trailer with a "V" nose and was happy to realize the Bug would more than fit. Having "barn doors" on the trailer presented a problem, but 8' 2x12s with a Harbor Freight ramp kit solved that problem. I did brace the ramps at the 2' and 5' mark just to be safe. Still, I didn't want to back up the ramps, so I also got a Harbor Freight hand winch (https://www.harborfreight.com/2000-lb-capacity-geared-winch-5798.html). It took many, many revolutions, but it gave me the opportunity to precisely locate where my Bug ended up! I used 2" ratchet straps at each corner and my Bug did not move an inch! Very Happy Upon arrival, I even felt confident enough to drive it out and off.
My first experience with a VW Beetle was 1966 when I was 16 and my older brother took me out driving in a snow storm to teach me how to drive a stick. Now that I'm retired and have the time, I hope to while away my time "playing" with "my new Bug!"
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Car Trailer boat winch size - How big do you need? Reply with quote

14' flat with2' dove tail. 6000lb. Had a problem loading a ranger slammed 4" in front and 6" in the rear. Ramps and spare tire- $1580 brand new. First time my kid used it he trashed the tongue jack and that was his idea of a repair.

esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Car Trailer boat winch size - How big do you need? Reply with quote

I've had several trailers over the years and this remains the most versatile, especially for moving bugs and busses. It's 14' including the tail, so it fits a beetle easily, and a bus barely. I have a 9k smittybuilt winch on
A removable mount at the front of the trailer. This thing is hands-down one of the best investments that I have made, as I put a receiver on my other trailers also. So one winch works for all of them.
Do some research, the Smittybuilt 8k and 9k winches are inexpensive, but much better than the run of the mill import harbor fright stuff. And cheap! I think the 8k can be scored for $200.
I keep a pair of 10' 2x12 to extend the ramps when I have to load a lowered car.. no prob.
HTH, SD

Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Car Trailer boat winch size - How big do you need? Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
14' flat with2' dove tail. 6000lb. Had a problem loading a ranger slammed 4" in front and 6" in the rear. Ramps and spare tire- $1580 brand new. First time my kid used it he trashed the tongue jack and that was his idea of a repair.

Looks similar to trailer I have, mine is #7000 Carson, on mine problem was lack if good tie down points, had to add some,... Your kid needs a few lessons on how to fix things....

Dale

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
JoeE13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Car Trailer boat winch size - How big do you need? Reply with quote

Here is my setup, my car weights 750 so I only needed a utility trailer.

I power my winch with a long set of jumper cables. I put battery terminals on the ends of the power wires off winch then hookup cables. With my vehicle running pulls the racer right up.

http://s207.photobucket.com/user/JoeE13/library/FFR%20Cobra?sort=3&page=1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Car Trailer boat winch size - How big do you need? Reply with quote

2k winch, I also use a snatch block.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Car Trailer boat winch size - How big do you need? Reply with quote

toy hauler is the way to go!!! better yet a tripple stacker with ac&heat....dang I miss that trailer Sad ...if you do a open trailer make the wench eazely removable so you can keep it out of the weather and thieving eyes. you can build a nice lockable box for it but beware of whorenets that build a nice little nest in it....
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Car Trailer boat winch size - How big do you need? Reply with quote

Buying a car trailer is kinda like buying a tool box or a garage. Always go a bigger then you think you will need. You will find lots of other uses for it, and your buddies will always need it.

I have a 9000lbs Harbor freight winch on mine, and glad its there. They are cheap. Winching a stuck to the ground bus with 4 flats and 2 stuck drums needs lots of power. I would hate to think about a hand crank boat winch. The wireless remotes are awesome when your kids aren't there to steer for you.

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Casting Timmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Car Trailer boat winch size - How big do you need? Reply with quote

How much walk around room do oyu have in the trailer after it's loaded? Is it easy to get in front of it and strap it down? I assume it would be like a V8 car in a 8.5' wide trailer.

Thanks
Tim

Sweetee wrote:
FYI!

I needed to transport my Bug over 100 miles and didn't want to drive. I have a 7x14 enclosed Wells Cargo trailer with a "V" nose and was happy to realize the Bug would more than fit. Having "barn doors" on the trailer presented a problem, but 8' 2x12s with a Harbor Freight ramp kit solved that problem. I did brace the ramps at the 2' and 5' mark just to be safe. Still, I didn't want to back up the ramps, so I also got a Harbor Freight hand winch (https://www.harborfreight.com/2000-lb-capacity-geared-winch-5798.html). It took many, many revolutions, but it gave me the opportunity to precisely locate where my Bug ended up! I used 2" ratchet straps at each corner and my Bug did not move an inch! Very Happy Upon arrival, I even felt confident enough to drive it out and off.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Car Trailer boat winch size - How big do you need? Reply with quote

If you are getting enclosed trailer, get front door option....

Dale

mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Car Trailer boat winch size - How big do you need? Reply with quote

Casting Timmy wrote:
How much walk around room do oyu have in the trailer after it's loaded? Is it easy to get in front of it and strap it down? I assume it would be like a V8 car in a 8.5' wide trailer.

Thanks
Tim

Sweetee wrote:
FYI!

Plenty in mine, you can use the kitchen, bath and bedroom. You can walk besides both sides of the car.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: