Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Crank which one to use for turbo engine?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Crank which one to use for turbo engine? Reply with quote

I know there's different talk on new cranks from china and oem cranks
counter weighted, want some feedback on 82mm cranks, new from china vs
oem cranks done by like DPR, Ive looked at Carcraft, CB, Scat, Brothers machine and DRD cranks, range from $199 to just over $500 for the Scat.

Ive used over the past most of these brands with no issues, but its been 8+ years, any change since then? Looking to put in street vw turbo, probably 200- 225HP, not gonna race it.
Like to get away with spending $199 to $250 range. just want feed back on the quality of these different cranks to determine on which one to buy.

I'm looking at the chromoly 4340 nitrated cranks.
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For that power range, DPR all day long.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that price range I'd go with Revmaster.

Scat is nice for the straight drilled oil holes and the fact they come without dowel pins, so I can check if the pins line up and flywheel runout before fitting them.

How do you fit your flywheel to a china crank if the pins are already in?? I guess you buy the same brand flywheel and pray.

Buy revmaster crank and flywheel and say three hail marys before tightening gland nut.
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a new Scat crank waiting for my future turbo engine. The ones carcraft sells in their kits are Empi. Empi is ok for most street builds, but personally id fork up the cash for a quality crank. Of the china cranks, either a scat , bugpack or cb. Ive heard good stuff about the revmaster cranks, they should do just fine. Cant go wrong with a dpr crank. German quality metal.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, yeah I have run into that problem before with different brands, I am gonna purchase a new flywheel to, due to the one that came with the eng was cast, I do have a puller if I have to remove the flywheel when I check end play if its tight.
mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Empi crank from carcraft, OK good I can cross that off the list. No Empi for me.
Chip Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Revmaster 82 in my turbo motor. I even had to install the dowell pins Modok. The crank measured great right out of the box. No complaints.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cool I didn't know that, awesome Very Happy
mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked up Rev master cranks, $269, doesn't say brand, hopefully not Empi, but coming from Rev masters, should be a good crank, I think that's the one im going with.
Chip Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's their own. Honestly I think most of the Chinese cranks come from the same place. I think the difference comes from who does the machine work. From what I have heard, empi cranks aren't really that bad. In fact they seem to be pretty good as of late. Have you had one go bad?
mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when the new Empi products came out, at the time the shop I worked for we were a dealer for CB and Bugpack, my experience at the time was nothing good from Empi, never used one of there cranks though, but now that I think about, I knew a guy back then that knows Joe from Rev masters, I remember him stating that his cranks come from china, but depending on the company in China building the cranks, its more quality controlled, hence a better quality crank and or product coming out of China.
Marv [UK]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Empi products are the same as everyone else's these days, difference is a) different packaging and b) no one checks batch quality

There are only so many people producing parts. There aren't 26 factories churning out cranks in China, I'd put money on there being no more than 2 but where as cb, scat, ssp and the others differ from Empi is that it appears that the incoming shipments are given at least a cursory inspection before they are packed. Some vendors actually work with the company to improve quality.

It's a few years ago now but I remember a flurry of posts from Jake Raby about HPMX carbs and how quality was improving / improved to the point he wouldn't use anything else. I forget the details and I'm paraphrasing so I am not at all insinuating that he endorses Empi in any way. Just to make that clear.
The opinion of the author as expressed does not always reflect that of the author nor does he extend any apologies or assume any liability or responsibility for its content or lack thereof or for any lack of humour of the reader of any content at all, anywhere, ever. The reader agrees to all risk by reading it and is advised that any ‘issue’ is theirs alone as they chose to read it.
mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES, I think you could be right, I believe the conversation I heard about back then is that Joe from Revmasters works with the company closely
that makes his cranks, thus produces a better product coming out of China.
daos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Crank which one to use for turbo engine? Reply with quote

any thoughts/experience with chinese made SSP cranks?

fwiw - there are several major industrial areas in china, each with a whole slew of factories producing different items. so no, chinese products don't all 'come from the same place', there isn't one factory producing all the cranks.

china does not automatically equate with scrap. the very sick mass-consumer market in the west (and rapidly rising in the east) demands cheap throwaway goods, china (currently) steps up. but they can also produce decent quality - if people are willing to pay for it.

why is there so much demand for cheap shit? that's a complex socio-politcal-economic question and frankly not suited to this forum. let's just say if people stop demanding, and companies stop peddling, mass produced rubbish, there won't be a market to fill. demanding low prices and then whining about low quality is idiotic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

modok wrote:
In that price range I'd go with Revmaster.

Scat is nice for the straight drilled oil holes and the fact they come without dowel pins, so I can check if the pins line up and flywheel

I bought their mid priced 82mm crank and it came with the dowels installed as well as a pack of spares.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Crank which one to use for turbo engine? Reply with quote

daos wrote:
any thoughts/experience with chinese made SSP cranks?

fwiw - there are several major industrial areas in china, each with a whole slew of factories producing different items. so no, chinese products don't all 'come from the same place', there isn't one factory producing all the cranks.

china does not automatically equate with scrap. the very sick mass-consumer market in the west (and rapidly rising in the east) demands cheap throwaway goods, china (currently) steps up. but they can also produce decent quality - if people are willing to pay for it.

why is there so much demand for cheap shit? that's a complex socio-politcal-economic question and frankly not suited to this forum. let's just say if people stop demanding, and companies stop peddling, mass produced rubbish, there won't be a market to fill. demanding low prices and then whining about low quality is idiotic.

Pinko!

Laughing Laughing Laughing
daos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Crank which one to use for turbo engine? Reply with quote

Laughing
andreas5bmw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Crank which one to use for turbo engine? Reply with quote

I’m using a DPR crank on a turbo motor with 300hp without any problems.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: