Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1972 914 - Located In Dominican Republic
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cnd_eh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject: 1972 914 - Located In Dominican Republic Reply with quote

I just wanted to throw this out there. I know nothing about early Porsches but I came across this ad:

http://www.lapulga.com.do/porsche-914-1972_4889448.html

In USD the asking price is approx $4000.00

I figured I would go take a look at it, any pointers as to what to look out for? Is 4K a good price? I am not a Porsche guy, just like old cars and there aren't many on this island. Puttering around the Island in that would be fun.

thanks,

rob
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what to look for, well RUST is the biggest issue on these little cars, one very bad rust spoke is below the battery, rain water washes acid down into the area below, and once the first layer of metal is penetrated, the rockers become rusted inside and the car can literally fold in half. If the passenger door sticks or shows signs of sagging, then the car likely has fatal rust in the rockers. of course there can be rust issues anyplace on the car, floor boards, front trunk under the rubber seal etc... But if the rockers are rusted out form the battery acid, the car is likely not worth saving.

Do an extensive rust inspection. beware of quick fix patches under the battery which hide deeper damage. you need to get the car on a lift to inspect under side, remove battery to inspect below it, remove outer rocker covers (they unscrew at bottom and can be tilted out for inspection) lift the front trunk rubber, look under the floor carpets, move seats fully forward to remove them and look at floor under them. since this car is an ocean environment, beware of salt rust too.

the bumpers look funny form what I can see in photos, but that may not be a big deal.

so look for rust, look a second time and a third time, then and only then if the rust inspection is good , consider the mechanical condition, motor, tranny and suspension, that is easy stuff to fix compared to serious structural rust.

I hope this car inspects well, and you buy it, they are a blast to drive, very fun cars.

$4000 is a good deal in America for a 914 that is free of structural rust, that runs well and looks decent. a very nice 914 might sell for $10,000 in America, one with no rust, nice paint, nice interior, alloy rims and the larger 2 liter motor. the 1972 car came with the 1.7 liter motor, but the early 1.7 motors where higher compression and worked very well too. some came with carbs but all the American sold ones came with fuel injection. the fuel injection system is very simple and easy to work on.

good luck Very Happy Smile Laughing Cool Laughing Wink Very Happy Cool Laughing Smile

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
cnd_eh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips bluebus86.

I am going to go see the vehicle on Friday.

Keeping my fingers crossed it is as pictured.

Thanks again
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: