Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My new old Roof rack and Ammo Box
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
billfred1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject: My new old Roof rack and Ammo Box Reply with quote

I picked up a roof rack for $20 (with brackets and all).

Got it put on and I also mounted this old ammo box my wife found at a garage sale. I think it looks kind of cool, and actually useful for storing tools, etc.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool !

Might be interesting if a cop pulls you over!
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice rack. Have one similiar for free, had to make the roof clamps though. Like the amo box also.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the same rack, friend gave it to me to help me along my way when I moved. I stuffed all my life possessions in and on my beetle when I drove it straight through on a 1200 mile trip... Good times.

They do make an audible pitch at certain speeds when empty.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cfelke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great buy on the rack!
billfred1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for letting me brag Very Happy
Dake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great. I wish I could find one that cheap.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get some clear pvc tubing and put short pieces on the rack feet where they touch the paint Idea Idea

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
billfred1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now I'm one of those guys that just stacks my roof rack full of crap Laughing

Now that it's running good and the interior is done, I've got to tinker with something.

I took off the ammo box and put on an old steamer trunk and 60's metal gas can. I like it. I'm sure it kills my gas mileage, but oh well.

Just thought I'd share.

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picture links are not working for me. Neither do the originals.
iadubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

They work for me
caleb0101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billfred1 wrote:
Well now I'm one of those guys that just stacks my roof rack full of crap Laughing

Now that it's running good and the interior is done, I've got to tinker with something.

I took off the ammo box and put on an old steamer trunk and 60's metal gas can. I like it. I'm sure it kills my gas mileage, but oh well.

Just thought I'd share.

you could fix the gas mileage by filling the gas can up with gas!!! Laughing
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iadubber wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

They work for me

Looks like it may be filtered by my work IT department.
This is one reason why you should post pics on the Samba itself, not on a third party site.
kankles747
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: My new old Roof rack and Ammo Box Reply with quote

What kinda of roof rack is that...my father in gave me one just like it,but can't find a name or even if it's original...he seems to think it is but I am thinking otherwise?

Also, it have a rag top and it doesn't seem to work with it must only be for hard top
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My new old Roof rack and Ammo Box Reply with quote

I'd like to ask an honest question. Why the popularity of Bug roof racks? If it was a handful of originals I would understand it as an unusual factor. If there where just now some recent repo racks I could understand a lingering vintage effect (that is when the "old or new" snobs come out in force.) With the roof rack there have been some available pretty much always and all seem popular. At the same time, all of them seem to cut into the paint and even the metal a bit -- particularly the body/door at the hold downs.)

I understand stock and restorations, preservation/patina cars with stock and upgraded running gear, slammed Bugs (though it tends to result in trashed axles with swing axle cars), cal-look and other related styles (even the '70 flash, though I'm less of a fan.) I understand the appeal of lots of different wheel styles, from stock to 17's. I understand why to choose a stock, mild, or large displacement engine and even why (and when) those choices are popular. I even get sunroof cars (rag, steel, and glass) though I don't want one.

Can anyone explain the appeal of the roof rack so it makes sense to me? I just see wind noise and body/paint damage without an upside (unless you really are moving across the county.)
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My new old Roof rack and Ammo Box Reply with quote

Same reason some people out eyebrows on their cars or fender skirts. Or any other add on. Currently, it's the vintage look that's popular and for some reason whether right or wrong it seems vintage. Here in Florida, they are often times accompanied by surf boards and driven by people that haven't spent time surfing in a looooooooong time if ever at all. I have one on mine, along with eyebrows. Wife thinks it's cute.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My new old Roof rack and Ammo Box Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Same reason some people out eyebrows on their cars or fender skirts. Or any other add on. Currently, it's the vintage look that's popular and for some reason whether right or wrong it seems vintage. Here in Florida, they are often times accompanied by surf boards and driven by people that haven't spent time surfing in a looooooooong time if ever at all. I have one on mine, along with eyebrows. Wife thinks it's cute.

So it is an element of the vintage look? I can understand that! I remember roof racks being available but not popular (until recently.) When before where they popular?
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: My new old Roof rack and Ammo Box Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

So it is an element of the vintage look? I can understand that! I remember roof racks being available but not popular (until recently.) When before where they popular?

It doesn't matter if they were or not. They are perceived as being vintage, much like wide whites which depending on who you speak to were or werent actually that common or popular. I would venture a guess though that roof racks were fairly common by the number of vintage looking ones I've seen at swap meets. I can say that in the mid 80's to early 90's they weren't very popular with the crowd I ran with. I can't think of a single person that had one. And if they were on one, it would have been stock or restored.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Nice rack. Have one similiar for free, had to make the roof clamps though. Like the amo box also.

Nice rack... Hahaha Remains me of Carol Doda

She used to do the promos for the local channel 36 UHF TV station back in the day when she was not busy at The Condor strip club in San Fransisco.

I remember her doing the TV promo, "Your watching the perfect 36 in San Jose." we were kids at the time and always got a kick out of it. the TV promo had a rack shot.

I don't think they could get away with that these days.

Link to photo with VW Bug content...
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thu...ch1973.jpg

there is even a VW Bug in the photo under the Carols sign. Darn Volvo is in the way though.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: