Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Judson 40hp turnkey engine
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
remerus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:11 am    Post subject: Judson 40hp turnkey engine Reply with quote

Hi guys,

First time posting in the vintage speed forum so be gentle please 😜😁😳

I have found a motor that I'm considering putting my money on. It is a new built 40hp with Judson type 2 installed ( turn key was the description given to me by the gentleman) I believe that has been in storage for the last 5 odd years or so since it was built awaiting a restoration car it was going to reside but didn't happen so has been offered to me for sale.

A side note was that the motor was never installed in a car or run by the seller only that it was built up by a repritable vw engine builder and sent to him to install on completion of his resto.

I have attached a couple of pictures available to me for your scrutiny if you would be so kind.

My main question is (bearing in mind the quality of the shots attached) does it look to be complete as far as the Judson goes? I note that the oiler bottle is not in the pictures but the seller has assured me that he has two of which to choose from on one being the smaller and a larger bottle.. Which would be correct for this setup.?

Cheers Chris
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Judson 40hp turnkey engine Reply with quote

remerus wrote:

My main question is (bearing in mind the quality of the shots attached) does it look to be complete as far as the Judson goes? I note that the oiler bottle is not in the pictures but the seller has assured me that he has two of which to choose from on one being the smaller and a larger bottle.. Which would be correct for this setup.?

Cheers Chris

As you say Chris, the pictures are of a poor quality so it's difficult to see. Normally when you buy a Judson the pictures you get are of all the components laid out and you can pretty well see everything included in the kit. You'll find a list here for the components that should be included: http://vwjudsonregister.tripod.com/buyers_check_list.htm

As for the Oiler jar it should be the larger 1 quart size although the 1 pint size works fine it obviously needs filling more often. Make sure all the parts for the Oiler set-up are included...it's not just a jar but the metering head and brackets too.

The 40hp Judson aircleaner will also need the pre-heat section of the stock 40hp aircleaned installed...see section "D" in the installation instructions: http://vwjudsonregister.tripod.com/vw_type2_inst_page.htm If you don't have one of those, don't worry, just block off the opening on the Judson aircleaner as it gives access to unfiltered air...a design fault.

The throttle linkage doesn't look like the stock Judson 40hp linkage...looks like a home made one to me. Confused
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
remerus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply John, the pictures were mediocre but all I had when I posted yesterday.

I have checked out the Judson register very good info there..

As you can see I've posted the bottles and can't take one of them I'm leaning toward the little one I think.

I have since been over to where the motor is and eyeball it more closely and take a few better pictures of the settup to give you all a better look.

one question I have in particular was can anyone please tell me what round gadget is on the left hand side of the fan shroud wired up to the magneto?

Also this settup is 12 volt what are the implecations of me putting it into my 6 volt bug?

thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of those bottles are cool looking and have their high and low points. Thats something you have to decide.
Your Judson is missing the belt adjuster. I don't think the 36hp had one but the 40hp did. Here's an old photo of mine with the belt adjuster. On the air cleaner thing John was talking about , I put aluminum tape over mine. Like he said, if you don't you will get unfiltered air. Even if you do it the way Judson proposes you get unfiltered air. You can use that see dee coil. It can be used 6 or 12 volt. Not voltage specific. You can search it. It's been asked before. I would also ask about the carburetor main jet. On the Judson they recommend a 135 main or you will have to buy one after plunking down your money for the supercharger. If you end up buying the smaller bottle I would make sure the Vee mounting brackets were included like the one with the bigger bottle has in your photo.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
redbulltj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine for comparo...

Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

remerus wrote:

As you can see I've posted the bottles and can't take one of them I'm leaning toward the little one I think.

The larger jar as you can see is not the proper Marvel jar but a replacement Mason jar...quite a common occurrence.

remerus wrote:

one question I have in particular was can anyone please tell me what round gadget is on the left hand side of the fan shroud wired up to the magneto?

Also this settup is 12 volt what are the implecations of me putting it into my 6 volt bug?

The round gadget on the fanshroud is a non-Judson version of their "See-Dee" electronic ignition: http://vwjudsonregister.tripod.com/see-dee_instructions.htm Quite pointless to run it as it duplicates the function of the top half of the Judson Magneto installed already. Confused As has been noted already the Judson Magneto is not voltage specific...it will run on both 6 and 12 volt systems.

thomas. wrote:
Your Judson is missing the belt adjuster

You can add a belt tensioner if you like but the early 40hp single belt Judsons didn't have one. They were a later addition around 1964/65 and are a practical addition.

This is a 40hp ad from March 1964...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
remerus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies Gents.

I ended up making the purchase don't ask how much Confused

Got her running on the bench today and she seems to run well enough no real results until I can run her the beetle on the road.

Three questions come to mind...

I note that John mentioned that the throttle linkage is incorrect, are they available manufactured or can someone point me in the direction of a good used one?

second.. I ran the motor for about an hour one the bench and as stated above she ran pretty well by all accounts but i did notice after i switched her off that a brown waxy liquid was leaking from the Judson magneto coil anyone know what this might be?

Lastly the distributor that came with the motor is a VJR4 Br18 which is a Porsch 356 and I hear not real suitable for use on a beetle due to an excessive advance curve of 32 degrees at 3000rpm. is this the case or am I miss led?

Cheers again Chris

P.S I did end up negotiating the both oilers with in the deal so thumbs up...
remerus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picture of the Magneto coil - looks like It has separation happening in the centre. anyone ever come across this issue?

vwsonmybrain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

remerus wrote:

I ended up making the purchase don't ask how much Confused

I don't think anyone could blame you! That motor is super cool, and had I had someone offer it up to me, I'd find it very difficult to walk away. Good luck with it!
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

remerus wrote:

Three questions come to mind...

I note that John mentioned that the throttle linkage is incorrect, are they available manufactured or can someone point me in the direction of a good used one?

Looking at the better pictures it looks like a stock one adapted to use with your carb. If it works well, leave it...if you want a replacement ask George Folchi.

remerus wrote:

second.. I ran the motor for about an hour one the bench and as stated above she ran pretty well by all accounts but i did notice after i switched her off that a brown waxy liquid was leaking from the Judson magneto coil anyone know what this might be?

Looking at the pictures below you obviously have a problem. Never seen them separate like that. Coils are usually filled with oil to cool, the Judson is no exception...on top of that they were sealed into the unit with a generous amount of pitch. You'll find it very difficult to remove the top.

remerus wrote:
Lastly the distributor that came with the motor is a VJR4 Br18 which is a Porsche 356 and I hear not real suitable for use on a beetle due to an excessive advance curve of 32 degrees at 3000rpm. is this the case or am I miss led?

Ask Glenn.
Fishynos72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont know if your question was answered but the judson 'magneto' will seperate if the four screws on the cap are not tight. The inside is tar like.

1972 1302
1973 type2a
1957 type11
2005 Caddy panel van
2006 Golf R32
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:

remerus wrote:
Lastly the distributor that came with the motor is a VJR4 Br18 which is a Porsche 356 and I hear not real suitable for use on a beetle due to an excessive advance curve of 32 degrees at 3000rpm. is this the case or am I miss led?

Ask Glenn.

I've never ran a Judson but i've never seen a BR18 used. Always a VJU4BR8 vacuum/mechanical or a VJ4BR25/0231 129 010

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
remerus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the useful info once again..😊

One last one for anyone who would be so kinda. I am looking for a clear picture of how the throttle linkage hooks up to the throttle cable, anyone able to help me out with a nice clear picture?
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

remerus wrote:
Thanks all for the useful info once again..😊

One last one for anyone who would be so kinda. I am looking for a clear picture of how the throttle linkage hooks up to the throttle cable, anyone able to help me out with a nice clear picture?

From the Gallery...

remerus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John appreciate it.. Very Happy
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

remerus wrote:
Thanks John appreciate it.. Very Happy

No problem...this is what you need:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1144144
remerus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers John.

Here is a little video of her running.

Link

Last edited by remerus on Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:54 am; edited 1 time in total
remerus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Judson 40hp turnkey engine Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:

The 40hp Judson aircleaner will also need the pre-heat section of the stock 40hp aircleaned installed...see section "D" in the installation instructions: http://vwjudsonregister.tripod.com/vw_type2_inst_page.htm If you don't have one of those, don't worry, just block off the opening on the Judson aircleaner as it gives access to unfiltered air...a design fault.Confused

John the air cleaner section you mentioned that allows for the pre heat pipe to attach, is there any available for sale anywhere I have searched everywhere and have come up with nothing.. Any advice would be great.

Cheers Chris
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Judson 40hp turnkey engine Reply with quote

remerus wrote:

John the air cleaner section you mentioned that allows for the pre heat pipe to attach, is there any available for sale anywhere I have searched everywhere and have come up with nothing.. Any advice would be great.

Cheers Chris

The Classifieds: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1493403
remerus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks john. I take that you mean they have to be cut off off an existing air cleaner and fasioned to fit apposed to buying an off the shelf unit ready to bolt on?

Is that how it was done when the judsons were sold new?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: