Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is this a steal?
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
collinVW32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Is this a steal? Reply with quote

Saw this craigslist add today and wanted a second opinion.

"Attention sports car buffs, antique collectors, hottrodders! 1974 porsche 911 Targa & 1980 924Turbo. Both put in climate controlled storage on jack stands/rollers & last driven about 10 yrs ago. 911 has aprox. 130K miles - 2.7L - 275HP - fuel inj. engine. Targa roof is removable/semi-convertable. 924Turbo is front engine, water cooled, Turbocharged, & has rear 5 speed transaxle. (50/50 bal.) aprox. 65K miles, tan leather seats. Asking $7500 for both or BO. Would trade for UTV, (mule type), or 4WD tractor, body/paint work, ratrod, whatchagot? Serious inquiries only please."

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wondering what you guys think. Me and my dad would probably get them back on the road, do some body work and get them sold.

Thanks for the advice, Collin

The only peace sign I will ever have on my bus is one that is upside down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe the 911 needs body work, the tires may be rotted, the fuel system might be rusty and gunked up, the brakes could be shot, and there could be lots more problems. then again maybe there are really nice (except for the body work needed on the 911) you really need to do a complete inspection on each and do the calculations. It really is not possible to determine this from the data given. Inspect them to be sure of what you are getting into.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
collinVW32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya I totally understand, I would for sure go and check it out and make sure I'm not getting a pile of scrap.

Now if we were to get there and it was not perfect (which it obviously isn't) but it is driveable or at least close, where do you think we would be?

Thanks, Collin

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jt912
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For both cars that is a steal. Don't expect 275hp out of the 2.7 though. More like 175.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well a friend of mine just sold his mom's very nice looking 924 turbo (red color too) for 5 grand. the car was high miles but overall very nice, mostly garage kept, all maintenance done. I believe the timing belt is a critical item to keep in good shape, interference engine, and it is labor intensive to replace. so figure the 924 might be worth about 5 grand if it runs nicely and cleans up well.

the 911 will need body work and that can be very expensive. paint jobs are not cheap, I am sure the 911 will be worth more than the 924 given equal conditions.

also interior upholstery can be pricey so make sure the dash door panels and seat are decent. the electrical stuff can also be troublesome , so test everything, fans, lights, wipers etc.....

Ps the 911n appears to be a repaint, or at least the rear does, the engine latch is painted red, it should not be painted. (cheap paint job?) bring a rubber magnet to test for bondo. Of course this wont work on the aluminum panels of the 924, but I think the 911 is pretty mush a steel car. I am no 911 nor 924 expert however, but I d recall friends mom's 924 had some aluminum panels

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
collinVW32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks, if the 911 needed any body work or electrical like that me and my dad would do that ourselves, we have restored a few cars before. Think we will probably go take a look at these cars to see if it would be worth it.

Petfisheric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the current 911 market it is probably a pretty good deal. If you have the money to spend I don't think you can loose. Given the few details I would off the cuff guess you will need to spend about 15 to 18K additional money to get a decent car, but you still won't be out of of the selling range for 911's. Keep in mind Porsche parts are expensive and a motor or transaxle will cost you more than you pay for the car.

Now the 924 on the other hand isn't worth any investment unless you just have to have one. If you had to put $1500 in it you might get $1200 back out of it. No market for junky ones, but if it runs you might get $1800 to $2500 if it will shine up nice.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: