Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Someone with Maxx struts and 17s, plz help
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
srexob715
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: Someone with Maxx struts and 17s, plz help Reply with quote

I have a 72 Super and just installed the Topline Maxx struts with 17" Porsche rims(205x50x17) and the tires scrub the fender with the slightest uneven surface. Moderate braking even causes scrubbing. Car was lowered 2.5in due to that being the lowest setting on the struts.

It just doesn't make sense. Why would the lowest setting be 2.5in? What if I only wanted to lower my car 1in? I don't want to add wider fenders because the paint is decent and that's at least another $600+ not including labor.

So would a 205x40 tire work? What about a 195x50 or 195x40 tire? Can I get a strut spacer to give me another inch? I just don't know what to do and figured I would try here before I have to go back to 15s. Please tell me what you did to keep the tires from scrubbing.

Thanks in advance.
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you talk with Jon at Topline about tire sizes before you put it all together? Are your 17's at least a 55 offset? I have the tire sizes written down at work, but I thought Jon said a 40 up front, with a 1/2 inch wheel spacer and a 50 in the rear. I'm also sure he said a 3 inch drop would work with the Maxx struts and 55 offset up front.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Someone with Maxx struts and 17s, plz help Reply with quote

srexob715 wrote:

It just doesn't make sense. Why would the lowest setting be 2.5in?

Somethings not right, Maxx struts on the lowest setting is 5" drop from stock height and the highest is about 2" lower than stock.
I've had mine on the lowest setting once and it was damn near on the ground.

I tried 205/50 17s on the front of mine and they are too much tyre and rub a lot plus it looked like a monster truck.
I've got 205/45 on there now which is perfect but 215/40 fit OK too

Ride is horrible on 205/40, may as well have fanbelts or rubber bands on there, they just don't have enough sidewall.
srexob715
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked to Jon, but don't remember him mentioning tire sizes....only that the wheels need to be offset 55, which they are.

I installed boxster twist rims, 17x7 front and back.

Here is a pic: hope I did it correctly
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]

It looks like I have space from the picture, but you can barely get your hand between fender and tire. Had a passenger last night and we smelled rubber all the way home. When I got home, I have a nice circumferential divet going all the way around the tire now
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Et55 is perfect for later 2 bolt supers but too much offset for 3 bolt, you want either et40 or a 15mm spacer.
srexob715
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Someone with Maxx struts and 17s, plz help Reply with quote

Joel wrote:
srexob715 wrote:

I dont think I spoke correctly. My fault. What I mean by lowest setting is that its the minimum the car will be lowered with the maximum being around 5in.

I guess I was just thinking that these struts would go from "not lowered at all" to a maximum of 5in. But it seems they go from 2.5in of lowering to a maximum of 5in.

So, if I can't go less than 2.5in, then my only option is to decrease tire size. I need about .5 to 1in of space..........I think. Not really sure until I drive it, but was hoping someone could give me some specifics on what they did.
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel wrote:
Et55 is perfect for later 2 bolt supers but too much offset for 3 bolt, you want either et40 or a 15mm spacer.

Ok, that makes sense. I have a 74 two bolt super and that's what Jon told me when I talked with him. So the three bolt's have a wider track? I thought it was the other way around? So does that mean the 40 et would tuck the tire further inboard under the fender?
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beetlenut wrote:

Ok, that makes sense. I have a 74 two bolt super and that's what Jon told me when I talked with him. So the three bolt's have a wider track? I thought it was the other way around? So does that mean the 40 et would tuck the tire further inboard under the fender?

Other way around, 2 bolt is wider and the more positive offset tucks it further under the fender.

srexob715 wrote:
Joel wrote:
srexob715 wrote:

I dont think I spoke correctly. My fault. What I mean by lowest setting is that its the minimum the car will be lowered with the maximum being around 5in.

I guess I was just thinking that these struts would go from "not lowered at all" to a maximum of 5in. But it seems they go from 2.5in of lowering to a maximum of 5in.

So, if I can't go less than 2.5in, then my only option is to decrease tire size. I need about .5 to 1in of space..........I think. Not really sure until I drive it, but was hoping someone could give me some specifics on what they did.

I'm with you now, the reason that happens is the Maxx struts and all adjustable struts for that matter use mk1 inserts which are shorter than stock super inserts.

I also found the red maxx springs are way too soft, once I Changed to heavier springs the ride height was higher, ride improved dramatically too.
littlebuggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 73 with a 3 bolt front end. Top line maxx struts, I have them at the highest setting on the "adjusting" collar. Any other setting was too low. I have 17x7 twist all around. 1/2" wheel spacers all around. 4 lug drums redrilled and studded to porsche 5 lug. Any lower in the front the tire rubbed the fender lip. I have to use 1/2" wheel spacers to get the wheel off the coil over.

Yes that's a radiator upfront....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other possible consideration -- when I first went with MaXX struts on my '71 Super, I had a slight rub on just one fender. I checked everything extra carefully -- especially if it had been in an accident (which I checked pre-purchased, but this event made me paranoid).

It turned out one of my fenders, although "stock," was an aftermarket replacement from some unknown origin. It differed by just enough that it caused some fender fouling.

I changed the front tire size slightly (both sides Wink ) to accommodate. My plan was to eventually find a pristine pair of front fenders so that would match but my Bug met its demise before I could do that.

At any rate, both of your fenders could be replacements and off just by a fraction from being "really" stock.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: