Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

coil ohm?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Serpent7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject: coil ohm? Reply with quote

I have a 79 vw bus, and I want to upgrade the stock coil. About 5 years ago I upgraded to the pointless Pertronix ignition (my stock distributor is a vacum advance one) and loved it. Since I had such great results with it, I wanted to upgrade my coil with the same brand name. I noticed the Flame Thrower coil comes in two ohm ratings. 1.5 ohms, and 3.0 ohms. I was wondering which should I get for my factory motor bus. I'm not looking for horse power and massive torque increases. I want my bus to run nice and clean, up hills, down hills, and on straight aways, with increased gas mileage if possible. Which ohm rating should I go for? Also, if you have a model number that would be sweet too.
1979 Kawasaki KZ1000
1979 Volkswagen Transporter
1973 Volkswagen Thing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does the sales literature say?

FWIW, a coil with a very low resistance is typically used with an external ballast resister.
PITApan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: coil ohm? Reply with quote

Serpent7 wrote:
I have a 79 vw bus, and I want to upgrade the stock coil. About 5 years ago I upgraded to the pointless Pertronix ignition (my stock distributor is a vacum advance one) and loved it. Since I had such great results with it, I wanted to upgrade my coil with the same brand name. I noticed the Flame Thrower coil comes in two ohm ratings. 1.5 ohms, and 3.0 ohms. I was wondering which should I get for my factory motor bus. I'm not looking for horse power and massive torque increases. I want my bus to run nice and clean, up hills, down hills, and on straight aways, with increased gas mileage if possible. Which ohm rating should I go for? Also, if you have a model number that would be sweet too.

Has nothing to do with the motor. If the coil you have is making nice fat blue sparks there is no upgrading of the coil alone to be done.

The coil primary resistance is matched to the ignition. See what your pertronix literature says. I have seen both 3 ohm and fractional ohm mentioned. Maybe contact pertronix and ask about you model.

Going to a CDI unit is another matter. You want a very low resistance coil. This thing will give you much bigger sparks. But other than starting better in really cold weather or with a mis-tuned carb, little advantage in the low compression VW motor.
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact this guy, excellent service, knows his stuff.
http://ponderosamustang.com/ignitor-1-volkswagen-c...co0g1i1gi1
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely 3 ohm. 12 volts across 3 ohms = 4 amps - about right for a stock VW coil, or for a Pertronix unit designed to drive a stock coil.

12 volts across 1.5 ohms = 8 amps - too much for any driver. Use only with a series resistor of some kind.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Serpent7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I wanted to know before I purchased. I have some saying go with 3.0 ohm, I have some saying go with the 1.5 ohm. I guess I'll contact Pertronix and see.
1979 Kawasaki KZ1000
1973 Volkswagen Thing
PITApan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serpent7 wrote:
Well, I wanted to know before I purchased. I have some saying go with 3.0 ohm, I have some saying go with the 1.5 ohm. I guess I'll contact Pertronix and see.

I have a Pertronix flame thrower SVDA distributor with the Ignitor ll in it. I can tell you what the instructions that came with it say---but I don't know which of 3 pertronix modules you are running.
Serpent7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PITApan wrote:
Serpent7 wrote:

I have a Pertronix flame thrower SVDA distributor with the Ignitor ll in it. I can tell you what the instructions that came with it say---but I don't know which of 3 pertronix modules you are running.

I only have the point delete kit. Im interested in replacing my coil. I have a stock distributor with vac. advance on it.
1979 Kawasaki KZ1000
1973 Volkswagen Thing
PITApan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serpent7 wrote:
PITApan wrote:
Serpent7 wrote:

I only have the point delete kit. Im interested in replacing my coil. I have a stock distributor with vac. advance on it.
There are 3 pertronix modules. I imagine (but don't know) that any of them could be used in a drop in kit. I also don't know if they demand different coil loading. The ignighter ll doesn't care, .45 ohms on up with lower values preferred.

Stupid question maybe, but do you have the instructions that came with it?
Serpent7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PITApan wrote:
Serpent7 wrote:
PITApan wrote:
Serpent7 wrote:

There are 3 pertronix modules. I imagine (but don't know) that any of them could be used in a drop in kit. I also don't know if they demand different coil loading. The ignighter ll doesn't care, .45 ohms on up with lower values preferred.

Stupid question maybe, but do you have the instructions that came with it?

I have not purchased the coil yet. Wanted to know before I purchased coil.

Good news! Just got off the phone with pertronix. I emailed them sat. but decided to just call. They said go with the 3.0 ohm!
1979 Kawasaki KZ1000
1973 Volkswagen Thing
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serpent7 wrote:
They said go with the 3.0 ohm!

Their reasoning?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: