Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Transaxle install questions
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
torchmonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: New Transaxle install questions Reply with quote

I just ordered a new transaxle from Rancho and I'd like to get everything I need before it arrives. Let the silly questions begin:
Does the '83-85 shim stack differ this much from the '85-up or did the Bentley get lazy and just leave some out?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Question 2: Are the release shaft and it's bushings wear items? Should I purchase new ones?
Question 3:I'll be getting the flywheel resurfaced, new flywheel bolts and seal, shims just in case and of course the trans. Anything else I need for this job? Anything else to do while in there?
garryv84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you have? Same concept, but different order of parts.
torchmonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

83.5 Westy 1.9 liter
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my tranny rebuilt by Rancho last spring. I did not remove my flywheel because it was ok.
You want to set the crank end play. You need the shims to take up the slack. There is a great video by the late Boston Bob floating around the net.
Maybe have Rancho sell you a shim kit?
My clutch cross shaft was replaced with a fully welded base of the TO bearing forks. It is also flame hardened on the fork tips with contact with the TO bearing. Get the good one. No cheapin out on this part. One fork might break off because it is just welded in one spot. Not all the way around the fork base. Cheap parts are not hardened to spec. and wear out and gall.

New bushings also. This was all included as a rebuilt tranny from Rancho on mine.
Did you not ship your bell housing to Rancho? So you have to do this yourself?
You will also need a fresh needle bearing that goes into the crank to support the tip of the input shaft of your tranny. You will need a slide hammer type of tool to get this bearing out. There is also a felt washer that will need replacing also.
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/smartlist_216/pilot-bearing O ring for the flywheel.
I also replaced my front tranny rubber mounts with a nice unist from T3 Techniqe.
http://www.t3technique.com/suspension-bushings/pow...shing.html
Search around here on how to get the rubber out of the front mount.
Also a good time to make sure all of your shifter/shift rod does not have any worn parts.
Not that bad of a job. Use new CV bolts.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would check the endplay prior to removing the flywheel. If it is not near spec that could indicate a problem that should be addressed. On a properly shimmed crank shaft if excessive endplay develops after that, it would indicate wear in the thrust bearing or crankshaft. Reshimming the endplay to spec without determining the reason for the excess play would not be advisable and might worsen the problem.
torchmonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Ill check end play before removing the flywheel.
70coupyel I did not send anything to Rancho yet, I'll be sending them my core when I receive the rebuilt unit.
Did you get that fancy flame hardened release shaft from Rancho? I see Bus Depot sells a cheapo version as well as a Genuine VW unit. I'll see what Rancho can do about replacing that for me as another option.
I'll add the needle bearing and felt washer to my list.
I replaced my trans mount this summer along with all engine mounts.
Thanks for all your input.
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just going by memory, you get fresh wear parts. Basically bolt it up add oil and run it. I think the better cross shaft is included. I'm sure this is standard with Rancho. I thought I needed to do the cross shaft myself, so I looked into it. But this was included in the rebuilt. Smile
I dealt with Mike and he drives a tin top to work. Wink
Nice clean shop with the machine side away from the assembly side. Kinda funny to take the front seat out of my Ghia strap down my rebuild and bring it home.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would add, that if you find the end play in spec prior to taking the flywheel off, it can go back together with the same shims. Pay attention to the shim order as they come out. Normally the center one is the thinnest one. When reusing shims probably best to have them face to face in the same order.
torchmonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help all. I'll check back in a month when the trans gets to my house.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW: (Boston Bob - RIP) https://picasaweb.google.com/101290228103300323836...2201103922

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: