Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

3x3 trailing arm qustion
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobalos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: 3x3 trailing arm qustion Reply with quote

I found a set of trailing arms this weekend that came out of a bug. will they fit into a buss?

they are kind of like this in that they bolt to the Spring plates & use the torsion bar in the OEM tube.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My main concern is that the spacing from the torsion plate to the bushing on the inside up near the trans is not going to be correct.

Also it appears that it has Bug CV's & IIRC Mine are 100mm buss ones. can I change out the stub axle with ones that fit 100mm CV's?

Also, Is there a thread that lays out & explains Rear Trailing arms & features & options & differences like the Trans for Dummies thread? Im a bit confused on what fits what & what the stub axle options there are & honestly what the benefits are of one over another. the whole "mid board" thing does not make any sense to me.

Bob
winchin73blazinbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright im going to help you out the best I can on this one. first can we see some pics of your current setup and some more information about it. also I will inform you that if you only have the trailing arms you have a minimal amount of the parts needed to complete the change which usually will cost you upwards of $1k from what I have seen from others making the conversion. just a heads up before everyone else chimes in. I believe there is more info in the sticky's i will see if i can find a link. otherwise there are several build threads on here that will show you everything you need to know. i believe krazybaja's build, OrangeCrusher's project someday, and a few others which are annoyingly escaping my memory right now are a great place to start. i will post some links for you in a second.
winchin73blazinbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=616627

this one was helpful

krazy's baja

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=339511

there try that out
Bobalos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 4 seat buggy that is made of all Buss stuff.

I went to the swap meet this weekend and there was a guy selling some trailing arms. They were unbolted from the spring plates, the frame & the Inner CV from the trans. everything else was included.

so Imagine the picture above with the stub axle, brake drums, outter CV, axle and inner CV all hanging off of it.

so, I wanted to know if the bug stuff would fit my bus stuff. I hope Im making sense.

thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

Bob
winchin73blazinbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there we go! that is a whole different ball game. by "bus stuff" what all are we talking about? and since it is a 4 seat buggy we will need some pictures definitely of your setup. what trans? and are you stock trailing arms currently? if you need more info on the trans check out the transmissions sticky from Mal (not trying to insult your intelligence just stating this as a helpful section)
Bobalos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By buss stuff I mean someone used all of the rear chassis out of a buss & built a buggy around it. Torsion tubes, torsion bars, trailing arms, brake drums, stub shafts, 002 Trans.

at the risk of sounding sarcastic, Im simply asking if the type 1 trailing arms have the same dimensions/will bolt in, not whether or not its a good idea. Im FULL of dumb ass ideas. ROFLOL.

Here are some old pictures if that will help, but Im not sure how it would.

KrAzY-BaJa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think the mounts are the same for a bug arm to bus torsion Question

the stubs/cv on arm to trans would need to be same spline #s or convert to 930's cvs to get maximum travel
then longer axles

not sure on the "mid board" but if you saw "micro stub" thats nothing to do with you setup.
ForYotaWagen: A Ford/Toyota/Volkswagen http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4871576&highlight=#4871576
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bus and Bug /IRS arms have substantially different dimensions. They ARE NOT interchangeable.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: