Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Was my mechanics charges fair?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Was my mechanics charges fair?
Yes, you should use him again
41%
 41%  [ 13 ]
Yes, but maybe shop around for better options
35%
 35%  [ 11 ]
No, it shouldn't cost you that much
16%
 16%  [ 5 ]
No, you were clearly overcharged
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 31

blue77bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I feel he undercharged you by 200....

without seeing the actual slip, I dunno what was done...

you have to remember, for a guy to even put the key in the door of a business, not some side gig in his driveway, he needs to make X amount an hour.

from a business standpoint, he (in my opinion) undercharged you. just digging the shit out of the CV bolts is a daunting task alone.

now he has to mark up the parts. why? every minute on the phone calling you, calling for parts etc has to come from somewhere.

this is the problem with "hobby" cars...everyone jumps on some forum to have 1/2 of it's cheap ass members say "yo, you got ripped off" or you could have done it cheaper yourself....well, if you could do it yourself I am sure you would have.

from your description, what you had done is a "no money job" in my book. it's not like it's a 2012 GTI and it will come apart easily, you can get genuine parts that fit, you don't have to modify any parts to make them work...

I have 2 more buses to do. then I'm done doing work for the aircooled crowd. they will piss and moan about every inch of the project, but will pay 5k for a new transmission for their surburban without batting an eye

sorry for the rant! but from a mechanics standpoint, there is a lot that the customer never ever takes into consideration...like the 100K in tools the guy has. for example, if he has been at it 18 years, and has 100k in tools, that is 5,555.00 per year he has "paid" to do your job

ask yourself this...(and you can't count college/education cost) what job on this planet requires an employee to spend 5k a year just to punch in so he/she can work? breathe in brake clean vapors, be around brake dust, oil and beat the living shit out of his body for under (well under) 100k a year.
Skills you are so right, i get the same shit all the time!!!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blue77bay wrote:

you have to remember, for a guy to even put the key in the door of a business, not some side gig in his driveway, he needs to make X amount an hour.

from a business standpoint, he (in my opinion) undercharged you. just digging the shit out of the CV bolts is a daunting task alone.

now he has to mark up the parts. why? every minute on the phone calling you, calling for parts etc has to come from somewhere.

this is the problem with "hobby" cars...everyone jumps on some forum to have 1/2 of it's cheap ass members say "yo, you got ripped off" or you could have done it cheaper yourself....well, if you could do it yourself I am sure you would have.

from your description, what you had done is a "no money job" in my book. it's not like it's a 2012 GTI and it will come apart easily, you can get genuine parts that fit, you don't have to modify any parts to make them work...

I have 2 more buses to do. then I'm done doing work for the aircooled crowd. they will piss and moan about every inch of the project, but will pay 5k for a new transmission for their surburban without batting an eye

sorry for the rant! but from a mechanics standpoint, there is a lot that the customer never ever takes into consideration...like the 100K in tools the guy has. for example, if he has been at it 18 years, and has 100k in tools, that is 5,555.00 per year he has "paid" to do your job

ask yourself this...(and you can't count college/education cost) what job on this planet requires an employee to spend 5k a year just to punch in so he/she can work? breathe in brake clean vapors, be around brake dust, oil and beat the living shit out of his body for under (well under) 100k a year.
Skills you are so right, i get the same shit all the time!!!

Spot on!....and just as a side note....there are quite a few jobs that require that outlay but in different ways. In mine....certain certifications I am working on and the Federal code books required....run about $2500 a year. I have others that add to that...plus precision equipment recal.....and I'm up to close to that.
I have people bitch about my consulting rates.

Lets see...you call at the drop of a hat and want me 1000 miles away with any odd combination of equipment that probably averages 10-15K...must be insured and risked to fly, plus a day of doing nothing but planning and calling in materials and a day after for reports and billing....just to work a day in your shop to solve a problem or train your employees.....and they bitch about $1200 a day....add insurance of several types to the above costs.....and typically getting paid back on 30-45 days out billing Rolling Eyes

And like you noted...there are certain customers I will no longer help even if they are on fire and putting it out with bags of cash.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MacLeod Willy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scan the bill and black out the guys name and post it here Exclamation .
Ive heard the same shit so many time while in business until you get the full story of what was really done.
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: fair service price Reply with quote

I don't believe you were at all overcharged for the jobs performed and, it's
really not important at this point for you to doubt that a good air-cooled
repair shop would rip you off since you are from another country and just purchased a Westy here in California.

ALL legitimate repair shops in our state are required by law to post the labor rate in the office and to also give you a written estimate BEFORE the
work is done.

Los Angeles has one of the highest labor rates in the country since expenses to run a shop cost quite a lot.

Quality parts versus Poor Quality parts are usually not used in a good shop as well.

The price you paid was MORE THAN FAIR
Pastelweis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Location marker Stockholm, but OP posts "here in Los Angeles"

Nomad requires clarification before he sterilizes....

FWIW I see 4 hours labor easily, so 400 in parts for CV, brakes, tuneup easily makes 1000 USD reasonable.

I live in Stockolm but travel to LA a lot for work and pleasure. Work was done in LA. I have a 79 Westy here in Stockholm and one in LA believe it or not. The Stockholm one is a California import the LA one is a California native (both blue plate)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pastelweis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazed at the responses here, thank you all! But before anyone jumps to any conclusions, I would like to let you all know that I sure didn’t, meaning that I did not post this question out of the assumption that I was fooled or ripped of, but more simply to help me gain a better understanding and become a more informed buyer. Also this obviously shouldn’t be compared to DIY as I had neither the knowledge, time, confidence or space to even attempt the work performed.

Also I did get a verbal quote before any labour was performed. So I made sure there was no surprises.

I am very unknowledgeable about cars with close to zero knowledge and no one to learn from apart from my fellow members here so thank you all. The mechanic was also very friendly and understanding and explained for example what CV joints are when we went over it (I had no clue what it was and now I have a vague understanding). Razz Razz
Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't get past the fact he didn't do an oil change. It's the easiest thing to do and takes about 15 minutes. You don't even need to raise the bus. Weird.
Pastelweis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vince Waldon wrote:
lil-jinx wrote:
Sort of like saying I went out for dinner and paid $30 for a meal,did I pay too much.

.....and posting that question to a forum of arm-chair chefs. Smile Smile

In most markets supply and demand also play a role. For example, in my city, there is maybe *one* mechanic who will still work on air-cooled VWs... and only if he feels like it. Meaning... he can pretty much charge whatever he wants and people are happy to pay.

Very Happy
Pastelweis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Here's what I would have charged you.

Air filter $15 plus .2 labor
Tranny oil $20 plus .5 labor
Front pads $30 plus 1.0 labor
Fan Belt .1 labor
CV's (one per side) $100 plus 2.0 labor

This comes to $165 for parts
and 3.8 labor

Now most shops are going to mark up the parts a bit higher but I'd say somewhere around $600 would have been a good deal. Pretty sure though I left out a few tune up parts he probably used.

Next time I need work done I’ll take you up on that and come down to San Diego Very Happy Wink But seriously, if 600 would have been a good deal then I’d say it was still fair as is the conclusion I’ve come to draw from all the replies here. Again, thank you all!
deronmoped
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just be glad you don't own a Mercedes. The fan belt alone would of been $800.00. Shocked
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: fair service price Reply with quote

old DKP driver wrote:
repair shop would rip you off since you are from another country and just purchased a Westy here in California.

ALL legitimate repair shops in our state are required by law to post the labor rate in the office and to also give you a written estimate BEFORE the
work is done.

Los Angeles has one of the highest labor rates in the country since expenses to run a shop cost quite a lot.

Quality parts versus Poor Quality parts are usually not used in a good shop as well.

It's also why so many companies have decided to leave California for states such as Texas, Nevada, Arizona, Tennessee etc...

California has been for quite sometime now considered a Hostile working environment towards employers. It's one of many reasons why in the end California will end up __it creek without any paddles.

As far as labor rates $80-90 per hour is more of a norm with most ACVW shops.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zelten wrote:
I can't get past the fact he didn't do an oil change. It's the easiest thing to do and takes about 15 minutes. You don't even need to raise the bus. Weird.

Oil change has nothing to do with a tuneup!! Ask your jiffy lube guy if he tunes cars?? And if you read the thread the PO said the oil was fine. One can usually tell if there oil has been recently changed.

My suggestion for the poster is to have the mechanic next time save all the parts he replaced. This will give you an idea of what went down during the service visit,, best bet if you cannot decipher the invoice.
MacLeod Willy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curtis4085 wrote:
Zelten wrote:

Oil change has nothing to do with a tuneup!! Ask your jiffy lube guy if he tunes cars?? And if you read the thread the PO said the oil was fine. One can usually tell if there oil has been recently changed.

My suggestion for the poster is to have the mechanic next time save all the parts he replaced. This will give you an idea of what went down during the service visit,, best bet if you cannot decipher the invoice.

X2

Yes an oil change is a service that should not be included unless requested. Some people have their own "special oil" they use and god forbid if you use your sub standard oil in their engine.

I still want to see the invoice!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: fair service price Reply with quote

udidwht wrote:
old DKP driver wrote:

work is done.

It's also why so many companies have decided to leave California for states such as Texas, Nevada, Arizona, Tennessee etc...

California has been for quite sometime now considered a Hostile working environment towards employers. It's one of many reasons why in the end California will end up __it creek without any paddles.

Nice Fox News talking points, but devoid of content. Company migration accounts for 1-2% of job loss/growth across states, despite headlines and grandstanding to the contrary by politicians.

CA has quite a few oars in the water, as my client checks tell me.

I'm guessing mechanic rates in LA are 125+
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject: what work order tells of P&L Reply with quote

Posting the repair order would be nice or just post ALL the parts and labor
individually listed.

Also Compression check results and brand of spark plugs
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: fair service price Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
udidwht wrote:
old DKP driver wrote:

work is done.

Nice Fox News talking points, but devoid of content. Company migration accounts for 1-2% of job loss/growth across states, despite headlines and grandstanding to the contrary by politicians.

You obviously don't live in California. California has been going down the drain for many years now. It isn't remotely close to what it was when I grew up over the years.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zelten wrote:

Why would an oil change be done just because its quick and easy?

Its a business. Unless you are getting paid for it...dont do it. You can suggest it if it needs it....thats fair minded due diligence and good customer service.

If the suggestion is not taken....you aren't getting paid.....dont do it. Ray
deronmoped
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: fair service price Reply with quote

udidwht wrote:
Abscate wrote:
udidwht wrote:
old DKP driver wrote:

work is done.

You obviously don't live in California. California has been going down the drain for many years now. It isn't remotely close to what it was when I grew up over the years.

I grew up in San Diego, anytime I travel out of state, I'm always surprised on how well the other cities take care of their infrastructure. About the only thing that makes this place liveable, is the weather and location.
420GOAT
Samba Member

Location: Wilmington, CA on a nice quiet street but still in the 'hood

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL. it was fair, im with Skills on this one.
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/\
What Skills said...Dealing with customers is the reason i left the service environment and wrench in a research lab. Working on cars they don't make yet is pretty easy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: