Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

need disc brake info please
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tlkolrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject: need disc brake info please Reply with quote

I picked up a beam axle at a swapmeet with stock disc brakes. owner knew nothing. How can I date it and tell if it is from a karmen gia or type 1 beetle
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Karmann Ghia is a type one. You have a direct bolt on disc brake set, congratulations!
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: need disc brake info please Reply with quote

tlkolrod wrote:
I picked up a beam axle at a swapmeet with stock disc brakes. owner knew nothing. How can I date it and tell if it is from a karmen gia or type 1 beetle

If it still has the steering box attached to the beam, you can look on the clamp that holds it on. If it's from a Ghia, it will have a 14 with an arrow pointing forward. The steering box on Ghias are mounted at a slightly different angle.

Other than that, like cletus_zubar posted, it's still a type 1 and with fit. If you put it on a bug and it came off a Ghia, just flip the clap around. This will put it on the angle for a bug.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tlkolrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: disc brakes Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys. Can you tell me when did the beetles first begin disc brakes? what year? Is everything such as rotors calipers and pads interchangable from ghia to beetle?
Thx Toby
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disc brakes were never standard equipment on any Beetles sold by VW in the US. At least not any that I know of. Confused

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
Disc brakes were never standard equipment on any Beetles sold by VW in the US.

Correct. With the rest of the world, it was standard practice to couple the 1600cc engine with disc brakes. I believe they were optional starting in 1967 but I wouldn't bet more than snack money on that.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: disc brakes Reply with quote

tlkolrod wrote:
Thanks for the info guys. Can you tell me when did the beetles first begin disc brakes? what year? Is everything such as rotors calipers and pads interchangable from ghia to beetle?
Thx Toby

Ghia stuff interchangeable with similar year standard Beetle.

Agree, discs not part of USA beetle (not even as option).
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: disc brakes Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Agree, discs not part of USA beetle (not even as option).

Good clarification. When I said optional, I meant rest of the world.
tlkolrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject: disc Reply with quote

So if I understand you guys If I have a stock usa beam with discs it had to come from a ghia correct. Like I said earlier, the dude had no answers at the flea market. He just said VW. I thought the beetles had them but I was incorrect. I will be using that beam once I go over it.
Thx to all who offered info
Toby
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the most likely answer. Pics or part numbers would shed more light.
tlkolrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:49 am    Post subject: beetle disc frt Reply with quote

Hey guys I thought I understood but then yestersday I got my new midwest vw catalog and in the brake section it lists front disc parts for a 67 and up beetle. So is that for a non USA beetle? So that made me wonder once more. I am sure what I have will fit and function but now the curiosity has taken over and I am interested in the data.

Thx to those that can offer help
Toby in PA
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject: disc brakes Reply with quote

Yes, in most of the rest of the world (except USA and Canada), the Beetle had disc brakes starting with the 1500 cc engines in 1967.

1967 was also the first year for the 4-bolt wheel pattern for disc brakes. There were never any wide-5 disc brakes for the Beetle, at least not from the factory.

I have Varga-TRW discs on my '68 Beetle and they are made in Brazil based on OEM patterns. You can also buy excellent disc rotors made in Germany (such as Zimmermann). They are often available from your FLAPS and that's why they're in your midwest vw catalog.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: