Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Valve clearances 1600sp type1
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomfreo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Valve clearances 1600sp type1 Reply with quote

Hi

Having realized I've been adjusting the valves not at TDC but at the 10*BTDC mark on the pulley, I've gone back to thinking about valve adjustments.

The engine is a replacement case code AD 1600cc. The PO (and me too) adjusted the valves to 0.008". I'm guessing this was because the original workshop manual that came with the car (as a 1200) said to adjust valves to 0.008".

I now believe the valves should be adjusted to 0.006" assuming 1600 engines, regardless of other factors, are all adjusted to this spec.

Thing is, with the valves adjusted at 10*BTDC at 0.008" the engine has been running great (although never having driven another bug I guess I can't be *too* sure of that!)

What's the deal here? 1600 engine - 0.006"?
air-h2o-air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.006" is correct
turboscotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did my valve adjustment this past weekend and .006 is what I did, I did the adjustment at TDC not 10BTDC but I'm sure you'll be fine. It really helped my 1600 run a ton better, I found several that were a bit tight. Fist adjustment on this car, I just bought it a month ago.
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1600 engine = 0.006"

Set yours to 0.008"?
Not a real big deal, may be a little noisier, but it is only 0.002" more, and loose is safer than tight (a noisy valve is a happy valve:D ).

Setting them at 10 BTDC? No big deal either. The base circle of the cam is quite large and being a degree off one way or the other won't make any major difference in valve adjustment.
The cam turns at half crankshaft speed, so with the crank at 10, the cam is only ~5 degrees off. That's only 5 degrees out of 360.

Get some sleep Wink

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: