Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking to buy a new set of heads; recommendations?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Junkyardjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Looking to buy a new set of heads; recommendations? Reply with quote

OK I have looked at several options for a new set of heads for my 'stock' 1600 DP engine for my '74 Super. It's a 'stock' displacement engine, and the only items not necessarily stock are the forged chromoly 69mm counterweighted crank, lightened 8 dowel flywheel & forged chromoly stock journal rods. I have heard a lot of good & bad about particular castings (mainly china castings), but I see a few other ones have had issues too. I am not looking for any more power over stock, not looking for ported heads or anything fancy like that; I just want it to run good & last awhile. IF I find a decent pair of new heads that are bare; that's OK I already have all new valves & springs anyway.OK these are what I found so far:
1) Scat part # 25035
http://www.scatvw.com/master/cyl_heads/pro_port.shtml
I wasn't looking for hi rev springs, esp with a stock cam, but I guess that's OK. Will the bigger valves be an issue with a stock 1600cc? I really like the price & have not heard much bad about them. Casting origin unspecified.
2) Kaddie Shack deluxe DP
http://www.shop.kaddieshack.com/Deluxe-Dual-Port-C...1349-B.htm
Haven't found much bad or good about these; casting origin unknown, does look good & a very good price-looks ok.
3) CB performance stock heads
http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1656
Looks good; have heard either bad or good about these; auto linea (????) casting; decent price.
4) Mofoco MFC-CCH040-stock style new heads; bare
http://www.mofoco.com/category/New_Stock_VW_Heads/c152
Looks real good, great price, Made in USA Very Happy . I have heard mostly good about these & some bad as well.
5) Steve Tim's heads; 37.5x32 valves
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1069091
Looks OK; china casting Sad , good price; haven't heard much lately either way, could be good or bad I'm not sure....
Basically I would like the best heads I can get for under $500 a pair; so far for me it's either the Scats or Mofoco; mofoco keeps it under $400 a pair; a big plus in my book. So what are your thoughts, opinions & experiences here?? I haven't looked at any other major vw parts vendor; almost all of them are china castings. Your feedback is very appreciated! Thanks!
Ken
Romans 10:9
3)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Junkyardjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also found these, after reading a few more posts here on the same subject:
DRD racing heads; stock style head-sold in pairs-
http://www.drdracingheads.com/xcart/OEM-Style-Dual-port-type-1-heads-12mm-spark-plug.html
So far they look to be the best available; any one here have experience with these heads, or any from DRD?
Thanks!
Ken
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Junkyardjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow...these look better yet!
http://www.drdracingheads.com/xcart/DRD-Stocker-plus-35.5X32mm.html
would these be ok with a stock 1600 DP? I would love some feedback from this company before I make a purchase. Thank you!
Ken
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mofoco heads are good, Tims are great as well. Don't be put off by Tims china castings, they are a good set of heads that Tims take the time to setup and machine correctly.

I've never used DRD heads so I have no input on them. I would step up to the stock plus heads if you go Mofoco, you wont regret getting a good set of mild performance heads.
Junkyardjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK cool thank you for your input Bashr52! After I posted those links for the DRD heads I found a few horror stories about people never getting their parts after they paid Shocked , but my opinion is still open at this point. Tims' heads & Mofoco are towards the top of my list at the moment. In gratitude for your reply here (lol), I reward you with pics of my '74 Super resto!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Please enjoy & thanks again!
Ken
Junkyardjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bashr52, are you referring to the 041 or 042 Mofoco heads when you mention 'stock plus' ??
Junkyardjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that aircooled.net also has several heads FS; the one they have listed as a 'chinese' casting has a 'made in mexico' & a 043 casting marks on it......hmmmmm.... Question ...confused here...lol...
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also get DRD heads from ACN, so if they were not delivered you don't have a hassle.

My recommendation for a stock 1600 is the 043. The castings are great, but the main reason is most of the Chinese heads have 59-66cc chambers. That's a lot of extra chamber volume that lowered compression. They are best used for BIG engines, to get the CR where you need it.

The 043 and GO1 have smaller chambers, which work better on smaller engines. With the Chinese heads, you can flycut them, but you begin to run into problems as you flycut smaller than 53cc. So the Mexican ones are the best starting point.

Do your math and figure out what CR you want to run, order the heads in the chamber size you need. And make absolutely sure the heads do NOT have a step in them, IMO they are horrible.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
You can also get DRD heads from ACN, so if they were not delivered you don't have a hassle.

My recommendation for a stock 1600 is the 043. The castings are great, but the main reason is most of the Chinese heads have 59-66cc chambers. That's a lot of extra chamber volume that lowered compression. They are best used for BIG engines, to get the CR where you need it.

The 043 and GO1 have smaller chambers, which work better on smaller engines. With the Chinese heads, you can flycut them, but you begin to run into problems as you flycut smaller than 53cc. So the Mexican ones are the best starting point.

Do your math and figure out what CR you want to run, order the heads in the chamber size you need. And make absolutely sure the heads do NOT have a step in them, IMO they are horrible.

John is right. Every head that I've ever built with a step over the last 40 years has failed. I'm just so stupid that I'm going to keep making a product that is horrible because I just don't care. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call Adrian 760.727.1827 (PST) http://www.headflowmasters.com/

Just tell him what your setup is. Dude is a wizard when it comes to heads.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you guys clarify for me what a "step" is when we are talking about cylinder heads? And what are the claimed benefits/disadvantages?

Wanted: Male computer diagnostic plug end
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

talljordan wrote:
Could you guys clarify for me what a "step" is when we are talking about cylinder heads? And what are the claimed benefits/disadvantages?

This issue has been hammered to death already. If you do a search, there are a couple of locked threads discussing it.

On a side note, I now have a program written for my CNC so I can manufacture the heads with or without the step for the same price. I still sell 99% with the step but I want to cater to as many people as possible.

www.mofoco.com

Junkyardjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, thanks for all of the replies! I was doing some digging through my parts inventory today & found a set of OE VW heads that were all rebuilt with new parts; VW part # 043-101-375A, which I totally forgot were there!! Shocked However, one spark plug hole looks like it has half of a heli-coil insert in it,which I didn't know about;(doesn't even cover 1/2 of the threads!) looks like a repair was attempted once already. I have heard much positive feedback about Time-Serts, because if this will work it would save me a ton of money!!! So, I need to know the proper tool I need for this part # head & the correct time-sert insert for it. I want to stay with my German heads, so your add'l help is appreciated! Thanks!
Ken
spanky324
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoFoCo
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Junkyardjockey wrote:
Hey guys, thanks for all of the replies! I was doing some digging through my parts inventory today & found a set of OE VW heads that were all rebuilt with new parts; VW part # 043-101-375A, which I totally forgot were there!! Shocked However, one spark plug hole looks like it has half of a heli-coil insert in it,which I didn't know about;(doesn't even cover 1/2 of the threads!) looks like a repair was attempted once already. I have heard much positive feedback about Time-Serts, because if this will work it would save me a ton of money!!! So, I need to know the proper tool I need for this part # head & the correct time-sert insert for it. I want to stay with my German heads, so your add'l help is appreciated! Thanks!
Ken

Napa sells the spark plug insert kits which includes the ream/tap, the insert and the punch to stake the ends. They work great, just make sure to use red loctite when installing it.

www.mofoco.com

Junkyardjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip Roy; I just called our local NAPA, however they never heard of Time-Sert nor do they carry it. I am still waiting for ACN to return my email on the same question. Thanks again!
Ken
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Junkyardjockey wrote:
Thanks for the tip Roy; I just called our local NAPA, however they never heard of Time-Sert nor do they carry it. I am still waiting for ACN to return my email on the same question. Thanks again!
Ken

Yeah, should have warned you. They call it a helicoil save a thread kit. The part number for the complete kit, including short and long threads, is 5329-14.

www.mofoco.com

vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Junkyardjockey wrote:
Ken

You can also buy them on Amazon along w/installation tools:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_9/175-845...Caps%2C111

Victor

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Heads Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Call Adrian 760.727.1827 (PST) http://www.headflowmasters.com/

Just tell him what your setup is. Dude is a wizard when it comes to heads.

Yes, Adrian has made beautiful heads that work. He is turning out some Mofoco 050's for me.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Junkyardjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK update on my heads 'issue' here. I have the extra $$$ to buy new heads now, so along with new heads & the new stock mag case I ordered I'll have a zero mileage engine! I have a better idea of what I'm looking for in a head now: smallest stock combustion chamber, 3/4" reach spark plug holes (either 12mm or 14mm), stock 85.5 bore, stock valve size, stock rate single valve springs (not sure single hi rev springs are good with stock rockers & pushrods & stock cam), and the best quality stock style casting possible. I don't think I'd have to spend more than $500-$550; what's your opinion now? Are all of my 'requirements' possible on a head? Oh,btw, my rebuilt german heads will be for sale once I find my new heads Very Happy Thanks again!
Ken
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: