Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fixing chrome valve covers
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stressfree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:03 am    Post subject: Fixing chrome valve covers Reply with quote

Seems like those chrome covers leak.should I get cork gaskets for the chrome ones or buy the black ones with cork.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find good OEM ones in the classifieds and use either cork or rubber.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had better luck with the cork gaskets. Be sure that the covers are not bent (check them against the head for any play before installing the gasket. Also, you may want to bend the wire bales slightly to get more clamping force, a little goes a long way. You can glue the gasket to the cover with a thin layer of high temp RTV to keep the gasket from slipping out of place when you install the cover. Don't put any on the head side, and let it set up before you install the cover.
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3M weatherstrip adhesive works very well to hold the gaskets into the covers.

Another good trick is to cut (4) 1" pieces of rubber fuel hose. Install (2) pieces onto each bail (valve cover clip) and position them at the two peaks that apply the main pressure to the covers. This will prevent scratches and slightly increases the clamping force.

I recommend stock bails too. I've had better luck with them in the past. I suspect they may have greater clamping force. Also, be sure to make sure the bail isn't bent and applies even clamping force across the valve cover. I've seen bails that would clamp one end of the cover and barely touch the other end. A little tweeting can easily solve that problem.

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
monomanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use bearing grease to hold the gasket in place on the cover and smear some extra on the face side of the gasket. It seems to work pretty well. I still get drips but I would rather clean up grease than get glue and silicone off of the covers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jrailer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 john its not the covers its the clamps use the stock clamps if you have some
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MonoManx, I assume your motor has never "inhaled" a set of valve cover gaskets? This happens when you have a high performance motor spinning up in the RPM range then suddenly snap the throttle closed. That wound up "air pump" is suddenly looking for air from somewhere and the vacuum in the cylinders will suck right past the rings and send the crank case atmosphere into a vacuum. If the valve cover gaskets are not securely held in place they'll get sucked inwards, usually along the bottom edge. Then you start leaking buckets of oil onto the ground below.

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
monomanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoCash,
The short answer...no.
Long answer: I mostly run 40 HP and 1600s. My 1776 has bolt on covers and it has not had this problem nor has my 1835 with stock clamp on valve covers.

Since these are mostly in buggies they are easy enough to check and I do that pretty frequently.

I am sure that tacking them in place with 83H or some gasket glue would be best.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under impression for along time that using Aviation #3 gasket sealer was sufficient to hold gaskets in place and after sucking in gasket 2 times in less than a year, I have gone to 3M weather stripping cement (glue) on valve cover side only, will see how good that does...

Also Scat make a pretty nice stainless steel valve cover that has tabs spot welded into it to keep gaskets in place, never had a gasket problem with them on race car....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: