Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Floor pan undercoating?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74Standard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Floor pan undercoating? Reply with quote

II'm going to start a body off resto on my '74, and have been reading alot about the usual pan painting, POR-15 then undercoating, just painting and then undercoating.

What I want to know is simple, has anyone ever thought about using the same stuff they spray in truck beds? (Rhino liner) you can buy it by the gallon now over the counter.

The stuff is pretty tuf in the back of a truck bed, I mean you can throw stuff in the bed and it doesn't give, hell the pick-up at work they put pallets in it.

Undercoating will chip and hold in water if you don't get it on just right and the conditions aren't just so.

Has anyone donw this?

Pros, cons?
Miguel Arroyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it has been done and it works great. You may even want to spray the instde to protect it as well. An added advantage is that it will quiet the car significantly. Which in a bug it is a good thing. Good luck.
ChoptopT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the bottom half of my 68T3 pan sprayed with Rhino liner and it turned out awesome. The steps I took prior to having the Rhino liner sprayed was:
1. I had the entire pan pan stripped and Bead blasted.
2. I had pressure washed then wire wheeled any left over rusty areas.
3. Repaired all holes and and pounded out any dents.
4. Cleaned it again.
5. Used the por15 process, Marine clean-Metal Ready-Por15 both sides.
This was done just in the last two months, I did not have the inside done instead I purchased 100 sqft of sound deadning pad that I will use to line the complete top side of the pan.
This pan is solid and with both the liner and sound pad it really cuts down on the road noise.
The liner on top of the por15 maybe redundant but then again I dont plan on ever having to do this again.
Have fun.

Choptopt3

"Kody" is here born June 11, 2007
4.5 lbs 19.75"
68 Chopped Squareback
64 Ghia vert (wifes car)
2006 Mini Cooper S JCW, it has arrived!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: