Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help needed in Firebaugh Ca. (near Fresno)
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gpc_jay wrote:
More importantly. She WENT.

10x
PITApan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gpc_jay wrote:
Sorry for the late reply. Day job.

Heard from her this afternoon. Tony introduced her to a local VW enthusiast who agreed to let her park it at his place until she can come up with a solution. I didn't get much detail at all. Evidently she was getting the run-a-round from AAA. So she decided to park it at this guys place, rent a car to get her traveling companion to the airport, and drive the rental back to Wa. so she can get back to work Tuesday.

Unfortunately no further diagnosis on the engine trouble was passed on to me. I know she was hoping to drive it back, even if it meant limping it. So I can only guess that No-one was able to offer a quick fix. I will hear more about it when she gets back and settled.

I'd like to send out another BIG thank you for everyone that piped in with suggestions for help, and showed concern for a complete stranger. Just one more reason I will keep my VWs running and driving, wave at the strangers that pass me by and thoroughly enjoy my commute. Smile

The following is my opinion, and you may choose to agree disagree or ignore. After all. its the internet.

As far as her taking off on this adventure without the recommended shake down miles... I commend her for it really... Isn't that part of the whole Vintage VW experience? Of course as a mechanic I can make suggestions, and I can try and advise my friends and my customers (this one is both) to do what is best from a mechanical stand point.

BUT. As a vintage VW owner and driver, I COMPLETELY understand the need to throw caution in the wind and go. Its not always about the destination, and sometimes the journey is in and of itself the best part. I once bolted a freshly bought/built turn-key into my '72 bug and was advised by the builder to do 500 miles break in. Instead I took off in October on a 2000 mile trip from Northern Wi to Wa. The breaks failed in Fargo, we go snowed in in Bismarck for 4 days, and lost a tail pipe tip somewhere in Montana. And the heater has never really worked at all. It was one of the best cross country trips I can remember.

Sure, there is merit to checking the valves every weekend, and there's fun to be had in searching for the perfect piece of trim or other part on the internet and trying to preserve our little cars and busses. But they were after all designed to be DRIVEN. This is not the first or last time that someone has had an engine failure of some sort in a vintage VW on I-5. She did pack the recommended spare parts, AAA membership, Emergency credit line in case of a breakdown, and probably most valuable... she kept an open mind to the adventure of life that gets forgotten while we toil away at our daily grind.

Yes, she had a break down. and its inconvenient as all get-out. I am positive that she would have much rather driven it home and washed and waxed it. but I am also positive that the 4 weeks on the road traveling from Wa all the way to the tip of the Baja Pennisula of MX. and MOST of the way back will have built memories and written stories that will outlast the break-down.

She coulda WENT on her 500 shakedown miles. A weekend camping trip. or just grab a map and do it in one day. If you're going to pay a mechanic, listen to what they say.

You can be plenty free spirited without being dumb and despite your care more than enough will crop up to add to the adventure factor.

Without knowing what went wrong there is no way to tell if the 500 miles would have revealed anything or even given a hint, So second guessing it is iffy. There may have been nothing to be done beforehand and you just gotta fly home on plastic. Or it could have been driven and this was not known.

Methinks if you're going to drive that kind of vehicle that far, you better know how to work on it.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think driving 50 miles or 2000 would have made that much difference at least on the average. I have always figured an engine is questionable until it has around 4000 miles on it and I would not expect someone to wait that long before hitting the road.

FWIW the second time I pulled out of the driveway with my first VW van I hit the road for a 3000 mile trip which morphed into 20K before the van ever made it back into the driveway again.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
gpc_jay wrote:

10x

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have her put on a flatbed to Kombi Haus in Sacramento. It is 180 miles. If they are a AAA Premier member which all VW bus owners who travel should be, AAA will two 200 miles plus another tow in a year of 100 miles or less.
PITApan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
have her put on a flatbed to Kombi Haus in Sacramento. It is 180 miles. If they are a AAA Premier member which all VW bus owners who travel should be, AAA will two 200 miles plus another tow in a year of 100 miles or less.
Just a comment, but everyone should know what the tow benefit, if any, on their auto insurance policy is. Often buying or increasing this coverage can be a lot cheaper than AAA and provide what is most needed for someone with a modicum of mechanical skill and tools who doesn't run out of gas, lock themselves out, need discounts at pizza places,etc.
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Help needed in Firebaugh, Ca (near Fresno) Reply with quote

Everyone has their own litmus test.
Some know their bus shouldn't leave their town/county.
Mine is 800-1000 after major repairs, as far as ready for "anywhere".
If you don't desire to know a ratchet from a wrench, listen to your mechanic as though that person is your TRUSTED doctor,
& you're 107 years old & want to see 110.
P.S. that is an impressive run for 50 miles run-in,
but is was "nursed" as far back as Mexico.
Maybe this thread could continue to include diagnosis?

Last edited by timvw7476 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strongly think that her engine is now shot. Have her contact a vehicle transport company that will truck it home where YOU, her trusted mechanic can deal with the problem. I can't remember where exactly you are but I think you're in Washington state and probably about 1000 miles away. A run like that shouldn't be more than about $700. You can search "vehicle transport" in the samba classifieds under services offered I think. Sometimes you can find someone making a run that has room on the truck. The good news is that the bus is near interstate 5 and an easy pickup.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like this for instance: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1743700

I'm delivering my bus to a shop in SoCal for service work the first week of April and have my flatbed heading north to Washington up I5 empty and available for a load. I have several show cars that I trailer all over the west coast and can be trusted with your haul. My trailer has a long ramps so really low cars are easy to load. Also the front of the trailer has a shield to protect from rock chips. A winch is also on the trailer if we need it. Let me know what you need towed. Joel

And this too: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1724200
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: